Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training.  (Read 1365 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Training.
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »

I got the idea to try a 2 person squad so the soldiers will spar with each other constantly. It does work.  Before embark, I looked at all of my starting 7 and picked out the 2 best fit dwarfs. One was very agile, very strong, and the other was very agile and very tough. I gave both of them +5 fighter and +5 dodging. I start the fort and quickly churn out 2 training swords and assign them. Stick them in a 2 man squad and set them on non stop training. they were sparring constantly. In just 2 years, they are legendary +15 fighters and +14 swordsdwarves. I'd call this a success. I swapped out the traiing uniform with full iron plate and an iron sword. (I don't have any flux for steel) they are beasts against anything which comes through the front door. I don't even have traps set up.
Anyway. Thanks to all the deadbeat immigrants. I'm sitting on 80+ dwarfs that I am desperately trying to keep fed. I pause the game and start looking for 2 good candidates. I find 2 that have agile and toughness. I split my legendary sworddwarfs into 2 squads and assign a recruit to each one. The biggest problem I am noticing is that nobody is sparring. The legendary is just doing demonstrations to the rookie.

This leads to my conclusion:
Dwarfs with equal skills will spar to train. Those that are unequal demonstrate. Demonstrating seems to be slower for leveling up combat skills. The only thing I wonder if if when the teaching skill levels up, those demonstrations will become more effective in the long run. I wonder if I should have dumped skill points into teacher instead of fighter, since fighter trains much faster with sparing.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:10:57 pm »

I had good success with a martial artist embark--sensei with a point in teacher, the rest in wrestling/striking/dodging and students, each with one productive skill, one student and the rest in wrestling/striking/dodging.

Some demonstrations, then sparring, sparring, sparring, legendary by spring of second year.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:27:26 pm »

I start with 3 Dwarfs with proficient teaching and proficient (weapon choice), all put in one squad set 2 to spar all year and it results in all three becoming legendary before the first year.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:57:04 pm »

I am beginning to think that training weapons have no value over regular weapons as far as training speed is concerned. Their value is that you can build them nearly instantly and set your first settlers to train without needing to spend lots of points on bringing real weapons or setting up a complex ore mining-smelting-smithing operation. Just chop down a few trees and give them some sticks to get some early practice with. I can't see any reason to continue using training weapons once you have to real thing. They never seem to injure each other while sparring. Every attack is s 'light tap' With a training sword or an iron sword. It can be a liability if you need them to defend against some wildlife and forget to swap their equipment.

Well, on the other hand, it could provide some use as a low damage weapon against pitted prisoners. Because you don't use sharp swords on pinatas, you use a stick.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:01 pm »

Training weapons are largely a leftover from earlier versions (before my time) where dwarves could get injured by sparring with real weapons. As you have noted, this is no longer a problem. You also seem to have discovered the few remaining uses for training weapons.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:28:13 pm »

I believe 5 in teacher and 5 in either student or weapon skill is the ideal setup. As noted, squads of 3 are almost as efficient as squads of 2, as one dwarf is often eating/drinking/sleeping/pickupequipment/getprovisions anyway, leaving the other 2 to spar. Sparring generates XP primarily for weapon skill / fighter and shield user if they have a shield equipped (other skills go up very slowly in comparison, but they do go up). Adding points to skills other than these main skills means demonstrations to teach those skills to anyone who doesn't have them, and less sparring. Teacher skill greatly helps the demonstrations to new soldiers, and student skill greatly helps the benefits of demonstrations.

Further reading on recent discussion of military on this board can be found here, here, here and here, to name a few.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:16:09 pm »

Training weapons are largely a leftover from earlier versions (before my time) where dwarves could get injured by sparring with real weapons. As you have noted, this is no longer a problem. You also seem to have discovered the few remaining uses for training weapons.
I build 10 training weapons and 10 wooden shields, and keep them for my FNGs to train with until I assign them to their "real" squad, where they will get real weapons (and possibly a non-wooden shield, although most times i stick with wood shields).  Using them means you can train your early militia while you build up whatever armor and/or weapons you want them to use -- definitely useful, especially if you have to find/smelt the metal for making their gear.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:23 pm »

kren has it right, to train future soldiers, training weapons/wooden shields are the way to go, plus some type of cheap armor(maybe a piece of leather armor). When they do start sparring, the piece of armor/weapon/wooden shield will allow them the benefits of gaining weapon/shield user/armor user skills.
 If you do not want the danger room technique, get the squads training early, and fast as you can. When the metal industry gets developed, then start churning out better armor,weapons to equip your future full time military.
 I am now trying a test to see if even numbers of a squad, 2/4/6/8  +1 will start sparring more during a training order month, with the best skilled soldier(militia commander) is only included in the preferred soldiers orders occasionally a training month on the yearly schedule. The demonstrations still help, I think, but sparring increases survivability.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration