Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 906 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noise
« on: August 13, 2006, 06:50:00 pm »

Many of my dwarves are annoyed by noise at night. What causes excessive noise and how can I prevent it?
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:09:00 pm »

Almost every job causes noise.  Placing sleeping areas at least 4 squares away from work shops to be safe.  Building constructions/destruction is particularly annoying for them and can travel up to 16 squares.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:11:00 pm »

Whoops.  That should probably be in the section of the manual on sleeping quarters somewhere...  It's something that is sort of difficult to fix if you discover it later on, when you have bazillion dwarf rooms in bad places.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

Aw, shucks. I guess the ideal dwarven fortress would have a residential area and an industrial area, with a buffer zone of relatively quiet storage rooms? Next time, I guess.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »

Maybe we need an acronym, like Yet Another Manual Oversight.  I put in some text for this.

This word is fun (dictionary.com)

o-ver-sight, n.:

1. An unintentional omission or mistake.
2. Watchful care or management; supervision.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 07:21:00 pm »

Another advantage to putting the dwarf rooms somewhere out of the way is that you can expand them easily (as long as nobody's sleeping, I guess.)  A bigger room makes dwarves happy, doesn't it?

I know I was able to deal with one of my tantruming dwarves by detailing their room, but expansion would be a lot faster...

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 07:25:00 pm »

I know that when you make a really big room, the dwarves seem to like it, even if it has rough walls and low-quality stuff in it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 07:29:00 pm »

Each room square is worth something -- dwarves, being subterranean scuttling type things, also give more points for walls.  So if you have a 3x5 room with a 1x3 super detailed wall in the center, they'll like that -- but super masterpiece furniture in those squares is even better, especially if it is things they like.  Dwarves give double points for stone/exposed ore/gems that they like in their [vpz].

Also important:  dwarves like enclosed rooms.  Leaving open squares on the boundary (except doors and windows) devalues the room.  Dwarves HATE sharing.  The [r] screen reds out shared rooms, and their value is quartered.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]