Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What a lever is linked to  (Read 2480 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What a lever is linked to
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Is there a handy way of seeing what a lever is linked to?

Sort of on the same topic, is there a way to see what weapons are in a weapon trap besides going to the stocks and checking the location of every single weapon in the fortress?

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What a lever is linked to
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Benitosimies:
<STRONG>Is there a handy way of seeing what a lever is linked to?</STRONG>

I don't think there's any easy way, unfortunately. You can find out how many things a lever is linked to though, by pressing [t] and highlighting the lever, which will show a list of the mechanisms used attached to it. I think it's one mechanism for the lever, and one per link.

You can also try linking the lever to an item type you know you linked previously, and seeing which instances of that item type are not listed; this means they are already linked to the lever.

quote:
Originally posted by Benitosimies:
<STRONG>Sort of on the same topic, is there a way to see what weapons are in a weapon trap besides going to the stocks and checking the location of every single weapon in the fortress?</STRONG>

If you press [t] and highlight the weapon trap, it should show you a list of all the weapons it contains.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

Pull the lever.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

Ive suggested the idea before, for toady to code in a way for us to write notes or labels for levers  :)
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Logan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SHAD0Wdump:
<STRONG>Pull the lever.</STRONG>

I second this solution.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Alright thanks. I guess Lever Documentation is up to the builder. I'm cool with that.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

To reiterate what someone said above, you can tell what it's linked to by trying to link to each class of item and seeing which are unavailable.  You can't link to items a second time, so the absent items are already joined to it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

The suggestion I always give when someone asks this problem is to name a dwarf appropriately, then kill them and bury them next to the lever in question. It's such a simple solution, I don't know why nobody else has thought of it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>The suggestion I always give when someone asks this problem is to name a dwarf appropriately, then kill them and bury them next to the lever in question. It's such a simple solution, I don't know why nobody else has thought of it.</STRONG>

That sounds like a great use for nobles!

All generalizations are false....including this one.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>The suggestion I always give when someone asks this problem is to name a dwarf appropriately, then kill them and bury them next to the lever in question. It's such a simple solution, I don't know why nobody else has thought of it.</STRONG>

You could also just put a little bit more effort into remembering what you linked to what  :)

Ive yet to have a problem forgetting what i have linked to what. Its not that hard to remember when you keep things in separate lever groups. (keeps levers to a certain area together in one place)

It would still how ever to be nice to have to option to attach notes to levers tho...

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

I colour-code my levers into 'control' rooms, makes it much easier.

"Oh yeah, the f*ck the worl device is the bright red lever in the defenses control coom.  Oh, the waterfall in the great hall?  Blue, grey, and brown levers in the control room with the red and yellow flooring"

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

For simple stuff, pave a color-coded walkway from the lever to the affected item.  Think Portal.

Tulthix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

I have an excel sheet for this.  Its great, I keep lever notes on a sheet, a dorf roster on a sheet, and a map sheet for putting together architecture plans.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

I build pairs of colored floors, one next to the lever and one next to the target. Building an entire path this way a la Potal is an awesome idea. For stupendously complicated stuff I use 2 or 3 color codes. Main entrance, south side, second defensive ring bridge? That's yellow-brown-grey. The north side is yellow-brown-brown. Ect.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

quote:

To misquote Buck Godot:  "This lever was built as a memorial to the dwarf that died during its construction"

You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!
Pages: [1] 2