Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tips to increase FPS  (Read 2270 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Tips to increase FPS
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:40 am »

I'm not really an expert at this, and im still waiting to make my first fort in the new version, but once i do so, i would like some advice on how to save precious fps without turning weather or temperature or the like off.
So, what are your tips?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips to increase FPS
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:51:57 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Maximizing_framerate

closest thing I can find atm

Me, I like to:
1.Have rather smaller worlds with little history.
2.Embark on 2x2 sites with fewer than 40 z-levels.
3.In order to make 2 possible, I have only 1 cavern layer.
4.No magma layer. Not sure if this lowers the amount of z-levels, but it certainly doesn't do anything bad.
5.Check the site with reveal upon embark to see if there are any problems underground, like magma spilling into hell.
6.No running water. I prefer aquifers as a water source.
7.Mod the clothes out. Next time, I will try to mod something like an overall.
8.Keep the item count low with atom smashing.
9.Avoid using stairs too much. Ramps seem to allow for better pathfinding.
10.Don't make the fort too stretched out.
11.Don't make it too small either - avoid dwarves bumping into each other in hallways.
12.Don't make any advanced mechanics stuff, unless I can turn it off anytime.
One of the by far most effective methods is setting the g_fps in the init file to 15 or lower.
Yeah that too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:16:41 am by ancistrus »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:57:19 am »

The DFhack stuff:

Clean map, units, items.
Confiscate, dump, and atomsmash all clothing.

Bulding stuff:
Limit pathfinding in useless areas, (forbidden doors might still be patched through, but I dunno - I use walls.).
Reduce fluid flow.
Cull your population.

To ancistrus:

2) I don't believe history affects framerate - It might affect save rate.
4) Then say goodbye to magma forges.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:48 am »

The DFhack stuff:

To ancistrus:

2) I don't believe history affects framerate - It might affect save rate.
4) Then say goodbye to magma forges.

2.Yeah, saving and loading. I tend to savescum occassi... ocasio... from time to time.
4.Actually, no. I was surprised to learn that too, but disabling the magma layer in advanced world gen doesn't eliminate magma in the world. I think it just makes the magma sea more shallow.

Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:13:04 am »

One of the by far most effective methods is setting the g_fps in the init file to 15 or lower.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Maximizing_framerate

closest thing I can find atm

Me, I like to:
1.Have rather smaller worlds with little history.
2.Embark on 2x2 sites with fewer than 40 z-levels.
3.In order to make 2 possible, I have only 1 cavern layer.
4.No magma layer. Not sure if this lowers the amount of z-levels, but it certainly doesn't do anything bad.
5.Check the site with reveal upon embark to see if there are any problems underground, like magma spilling into hell.
6.No running water. I prefer aquifers as a water source.
7.Mod the clothes out. Next time, I will try to mod something like an overall.
8.Keep the item count low with atom smashing.
9.Avoid using stairs too much. Ramps seem to allow for better pathfinding.
10.Don't make the fort too stretched out.
11.Don't make it too small either - avoid dwarves bumping into each other in hallways.
12.Don't make any advanced mechanics stuff, unless I can turn it off anytime.
Yeah that too.

As for clothes, i just add [ARMOR_LEVEL:1] wich keeps them from rotting, i have some good things tought out, but how would i go around making my central staircase rampy?

Also, i havent played that much, i would enjoy having 3 cavern layers and a big magma sea, but the reveal thingy could be quite good.
I like to embark on rather large locations too, usually 3x3 around a river

As for the graphical fps, i'll try that.

As stated above, i'm quite new to dwarf fortress, so the most advanced things will probably be some magma pump stacks, wich obviously require a lever for turning it off and a lever for having it run overdrive.

My idea for fort layout will be quite vertical, as i heard its good for fps, and i'll probably have the less important hallways 2 wide and the busier ones 3 wide.
Thanks for the tips!

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »

...problems underground, like magma spilling into hell.

I see no problem with this. :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »

...problems underground, like magma spilling into the circus.

Lots of liquid and temp calculations, harder for your dwarves to fight in etc.
Also, all clowns are 100% cold and heat proof.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 02:14:54 pm »

but how would i go around making my central staircase rampy?
Look out how the towers in human keeps are set up with ramps, then do that, except with two ramps per level instead of 1.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:59 pm »

but how would i go around making my central staircase rampy?
Look out how the towers in human keeps are set up with ramps, then do that, except with two ramps per level instead of 1.
Ah, i see.
Thanks!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:17 pm »

Turn off temperature if you have a vast quantity of items. Huge FPS boost if you've got more than ~30,000 things lying around the map (which is very easy to do once you start mining out whole z layers, or get a legendary planter churning out tons of crops).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »

...problems underground, like magma spilling into the circus.

harder for your dwarves to fight in

Hey, you're very dwarfy if your dwarves fight through magma...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »

Quote from: init.txt
Switches truetype on whenever the vertical tile size is this many pixels or larger.  You may also use YES/NO to force it on/off.  Turning it off may provide a minor speed boost (using font small enough that it doesn't activate won't).

[TRUETYPE:24]

I'm not sure how much of a boost, but it's worth a try.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

Bulding stuff:
Limit pathfinding in useless areas, (forbidden doors might still be patched through, but I dunno - I use walls.).
Confirming that forbidden doors successfully save FPS. I had a fort once where I dug out this galactic huge empty space in the soil for the sole purpose of training up a new batch of miners. After I installed some doors and forbid them, my FPS went from 40-ish to 70-ish in a 100+ population fort with lots of animals.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:57:35 pm »

keep item count down.  Smash food stuff (but it's better to just stop producing than smash as that can lead to tantrums).  smash goblin clothes, smash stone, smash everything you don't need.
Pages: [1] 2