Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disable babies/children?  (Read 3517 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Disable babies/children?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »

You could mod the raws so that kids don't grow legs and a spine till adulthood.
No you can't.

On-topic, check your d_init.  It's um... yeah, it's very easy.

Hmm, I thought that you would be able to do it with castes, but it seems you're right. TBH I didn't really intend it to be a serious answer, just a bad joke about disabling children. When I saw the name of this thread I fully expected it to be along the lines of "Help! Can't get my custom child nervous system destroying syndrome to wear off on adulthood!" or similar.

Alternatively  I suggest, as an alternative or in addition to changing the child cap in d_init, changing [CHILD:12] to [CHILD:1], which should make any kids that do turn up at your fort turn into real useful dwarfs in less than a year as opposed to twelve

Actually, I just realized that we can abuse syndromes and interactions to create epidemic-level viruses. Ebola would be quite a ride, albiet a short one.

I see. I tought about making a disease mod, but since there isnt anything like antidote or such, it doesnt have alot of use.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:04 pm »

...to be honest, I've found more widespread uses for children.  By setting up 1x1 bedrooms as an airlock between two doors, I assign the bedrooms to children and lock them in, unlocking the other door at the same time, effectively "cycling the airlock".  The child is then trapped in a small enclosure with a meeting zone - a bridge.  This bridge is a retracting bridge (or four drawbridges if I'm getting fancy) with a civilian-enabled pressureplate located somewhere in the fort.  When triggered, the bridge removes, and any children plumet several levels, landing in a small enclosure of windows in the dining hall.

The windows are there so that the children don't fall onto a dwarf who is currently dining - not for the dwarf's safety.  If a creature falls onto another creature, then neither are injured.  I window-off the crash pad so that the children are assured to die.  The window lets the dining dwarves witness the event and become hardened to tragedy, and a hatch within lets the corpses be hauled out.  This is often applied to worthless migrants, though it's much easier to just burrow them.

Generally by the 3rd migrant wave and 20-some-odd children, the window area is painted in 20 different shades of bloodstain, and if I'm running short on coffins looks rather like a blender.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »

AWESOME!

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 01:14:44 pm »

Wouldn't you be better off setting the glass room as a floor-spike danger room and herding naked children inside? Most will die and harden the rest of your dorfs up, but the few that make it out alive will be better military for the experience.

Also, the serious injuries will keep your medical teams skills up, which the instant death drop method doesn't do.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »

My common goal with children is just "get rid of them".  I vary the drop height at times, a shorter fall can cripple but not kill, and doctors get something to do.  Plus with a fall, there's less chance of a burial turning into a double-burial, then a quad-burial, and, well yeah, burial spiral.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »

Generally by the 3rd migrant wave and 20-some-odd children, the window area is painted in 20 different shades of bloodstain, and if I'm running short on coffins looks rather like a blender.

Add a necromancer to that mix, and it will look like an active blender
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »

[...]the children are assured to die.  The window lets the dining dwarves witness the event and become hardened to tragedy, and a hatch within lets the corpses be hauled out.[...]

I am now convinced that Girlinhat is Kyubey's evil twin.  http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Kyubey
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »

Popular theory holds me as Cave Johnson.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:08 pm »

Use the raws to make the women(or wodorfs?) have GCS' instead of Babies
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 04:31:18 pm »

The windows are there so that the children don't fall onto a dwarf who is currently dining - not for the dwarf's safety.  If a creature falls onto another creature, then neither are injured.  I window-off the crash pad so that the children are assured to die.  The window lets the dining dwarves witness the event and become hardened to tragedy, and a hatch within lets the corpses be hauled out.  This is often applied to worthless migrants, though it's much easier to just burrow them.

Couldn't you also drop them onto a statue for the same effect?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

That makes corpse recovery a little harder, and I don't enjoy dealing with ghosts very much.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:27 pm »

Good point.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 [2]