Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disable babies/children?  (Read 3524 times)

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disable babies/children?
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:07 am »

You know it!
Females are machines! They produce babies and babies and my fort is having a catbabyplosion!
Have some of you tried turning pregnancy off?
What is a good option for the cap if I wanna use it?

I know they still can bring their children with immigrating to my fort.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disable babies/children?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:37:09 am »

Could you edit the raws to make all dwarfs male or all female? Amazon Dorfs of Death.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:50:10 am »

You can set the childcap in your init files to something very low.
Or to make them usefull, you can just make them grow up on 2 years age.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:04 am »

From the title I thought this was going to be about forcibly crippling children for some convoluted reason. Perhaps I've been on the forums too much...
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:31 am »

I have the child cap set to 20 and the percentage to 10%.  It works very well for me.  There might even be too few kids, but the point is it works so just play around with those numbers until your happy.  The percentage is the important one BTW.

EDIT:
From the title I thought this was going to be about forcibly crippling children for some convoluted reason. Perhaps I've been on the forums too much...
No, I thought the exact same thing.  So you must be sane too.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:13 am »

Break thier legs?
Oh, you meant disable them being born, huh? Yeah, the raws are your best bet. Altrnately, you can gen yourself a world with a dead civ, and rely solely on children.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:59 am »

Could you edit the raws to make all dwarfs male or all female? Amazon Dorfs of Death.

I bet 1/2 of the people that read that are trying to figure out what primitive jungle dwellers have to do with an all-female society.

To OP:

I think a 9 z-level drop will do just nicely.

:P
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:17:21 am »

You could mod the raws so that kids don't grow legs and a spine till adulthood.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:51 am »

What, like TadDwaf-poles ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:56:00 am »

No you can't.

On-topic, check your d_init.  It's um... yeah, it's very easy.

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58:07 am »

I know they still can bring their children with immigrating to my fort.

Dwarf Therapist allows you to cheat and enable labours on children at least.  I haven't done it but I have been tempted to make them haul rocks.

I have a lot of children and babies in my fort and have just accepted that it is simply the new way of things

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:01:25 pm »

Build a hatch above a several-Z drop and next to a connected wall, connect hatch to lever, designate the wall for removal and un/redesignate until a child takes the job, pull lever?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »

No you can't.

Hmm, I thought that you would be able to do it with castes, but it seems you're right. TBH I didn't really intend it to be a serious answer, just a bad joke about disabling children. When I saw the name of this thread I fully expected it to be along the lines of "Help! Can't get my custom child nervous system destroying syndrome to wear off on adulthood!" or similar.

Alternatively  I suggest, as an alternative or in addition to changing the child cap in d_init, changing [CHILD:12] to [CHILD:1], which should make any kids that do turn up at your fort turn into real useful dwarfs in less than a year as opposed to twelve
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:00 pm »

No you can't.

Hmm, I thought that you would be able to do it with castes, but it seems you're right. TBH I didn't really intend it to be a serious answer, just a bad joke about disabling children. When I saw the name of this thread I fully expected it to be along the lines of "Help! Can't get my custom child nervous system destroying syndrome to wear off on adulthood!" or similar.

Alternatively  I suggest, as an alternative or in addition to changing the child cap in d_init, changing [CHILD:12] to [CHILD:1], which should make any kids that do turn up at your fort turn into real useful dwarfs in less than a year as opposed to twelve

Actually, I just realized that we can abuse syndromes and interactions to create epidemic-level viruses. Ebola would be quite a ride, albiet a short one.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »

Have some of you tried turning pregnancy off?

You could technically remove the male caste from their raws. They would have trouble surviving worldgen though, I think.

EDIT: Which makes me wonder; if you mod dwarves to lay eggs, would cooking with those eggs be regarded as cannibalism, or as a decent food source?

Best way to prevent babysplosion is to either kill all married females, or their spouses. Dwarves never remarry.
Another good way to keep child population under control is to put all married females into the military. Activate them, and send them to a closed-off danger room whenever they give birth. Unlock the door when the baby is dead. Have a good dining room. After losing a few children, the mothers will gain the does not care about anything anymore trait as an added bonus.

I tend to keep my children, mostly. They are of great help harvesting my crops. Child labor ftw.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:16:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2