Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern sickness  (Read 2238 times)

Fuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern sickness
« on: March 21, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Do dwarfs get cavern sickness from being inside or underground?
tray Kitten (Tame) has adopted Fuzz.  Bay Watcher.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern sickness
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

They do get cave acclimated, yes.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Dwarves do not get sick when they go into a cave.
They only get sick when they go outside of a cave they've been in after a very long time.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

The sickness is mostly harmless, basically they just get stunned and vomit occasionally when they're back out in the sunlight.  It has no real negatives unless your military dwarves get sick in the middle of battle, in which case they'll move slowly for a few seconds and then be back to normal.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

...nobody's actually answered the question (and I get the feeling nobody's understood the question). Fuzz is wanting to know whether it's "light/dark", "inside/outside" or "above ground/subterranean" that triggers cave adaptation and sun nausea.

This is actually something I've been wondering as well, but none of my 'test' games to find out last long enough for cave adaptation to set in on my dwarves, so I'm unfortunately not able to answer either  :( When I asked a couple of months ago I got similarly useless replies.

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:02:00 am »

Just prior to the current arc, I had a fort with a massive green glass rewall over the top of my entrance, and had that area set as a meeting area. My dwarves would vomit whenever they went outside that.

Thus I believe you must be 'outside' to trigger nasuea or prevent cave adaption.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 05:40:00 am »

By third year all my dwarves have cave adaption and spew tons of vomit when going outside. Thanks Armok they never need to go outside... I read somewhere that building a shaft closed with green glass will allow dwarves to see the sun and not become adapted, but I do not remember exactly.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

I don't know.

I've yet to see a square that's above ground and dark, or subterranean and light... so it seems the distinction is somewhat irrelevant at the moment. Clearly, the combination will produce cavern adaptation though.

Unless someone knows how to make such squares... in which case we can test this.

Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

I think flooring with glass and then mineing under it would work
The great game of Warlocks!

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

I made a "skylight", a 2X2 channel floored with green glass blocks in a very high traffic area from the surface to the deepest level where I housed the populace. Now all my dwarves can see the light, let's hope that this prevents cave adaptation...

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

One thing to add on Cave adaptation: It does not seem to be permanent. I had a fort that was part underground, part overland: the meeting area was in the castle courtyard to prevent cave adaptation.

Unfortunately, one of my miners steamed his foot red working on my obsidian farm, and was stuck healing for a good 3-4 years. He naturally got cave adapted. However, after awhile, he stopped vomiting when going to the surface.

As to the original question though, not sure if they'll get cave adapted by being 'inside' but above ground. My guess would be no, since it's not dark, but I can't confirm this yet.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

I still don't understand; if you build a glass floor, and then proceed to have dwarves live/work BENEATH the glass floor, thus making it a glass ceiling, will they throw up if they have cave sickness? I want to build a skylight for my count's throne room, but if he's just going to throw up every time he enters the room for a meeting, i may as well forget about it...

Actually, i too have a fort thats connected by a large surface area that would see alot of sunlight and it caused alot of my dwarves to get sick, and my soldiers were extremely ineffective since they trained underground, so i built a huge artificial ceiling, many many z levels above this area, and the area just outside my fort where goblins come, so we are in perpetual darkness and its kind of cool but spooky at the same time.

But to answer his question, im pretty certain its just 'inside'. You don't need to dig down underground to get cave acclamated because, as i said, my dwarves roam around topside in a place that WOULD have seen sunlight, but instead is now considered "inside" because of the ceiling i built over it, yet when they go out to collect webs, in the sun, they still throw up. Although now that i think of it, i guess its not a very good basis to judge off of since they do go into caves alot, and just so happen to leave them frequently for other errands.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>I still don't understand; if you build a glass floor, and then proceed to have dwarves live/work BENEATH the glass floor, thus making it a glass ceiling, will they throw up if they have cave sickness? I want to build a skylight for my count's throne room, but if he's just going to throw up every time he enters the room for a meeting, i may as well forget about it...</STRONG>

But that's one of the key elements of Dwarf Fortress!  Dwarves vomiting is a sign of respect!

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

A side effect of my food supplies and bedrooms being seperating by a bridge on the outside is that there is little chance of cave adaptation.