Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifact Silver Battle Axe?  (Read 4830 times)

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
Artifact Silver Battle Axe?
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:41 am »

So, my weaponsmith went moody, cue tons of happiness. He grabs some silver and I hope to schist he makes a warhammer for my favorite hammerdwarf.

well, no. He makes a Battle Axe instead.
So my question is thus; should I use this thing? I know artifacts make good weapons and armor, but silver is also piss for anything that is supposed to cut. I have a hammerdwarf who could use it if it's worthwhile, but I don't know how it weighs out really.
This space for rent

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Silver Battle Axe?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:31:48 am »

Battle axe = Axedwarves. Use it, silver, even if worse than copper as an EDGE weapon, is now in artifact form.

Use it. Or convert it into a weapon trap and place it in a noble room to make then ultra-happy. Or your communal dining hall to make everyone happy.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:39:22 am »

The sheer weight will rack some damage.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:20 am »

I guess if your dwarfs pommel them with it...
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:25 am »

Actualy with my luck with metals i tend to never find anything but silver or copper in the ocations i found ongly galena wich is lead and 50%chance on silver i made alot of silver battleaxes and they murder goblins and giants and such. i do trade for other metals but i would use that thing. also i find silver bolts are great. but of course i trade for better metals whenever i can but im telling you silver battleaxes work

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:34 am »

Weight is factored into hacking weapons (battleaxes) as well as piercing weapons (bolts), possibly a little more than it should be. So yes, it will work, even if it's not ideal.

Furthmore, as far as i'm aware, artifact weapons advantage over regular weapons is an increased chance to hit. This may seem vaguely useless, but i think it also translates into an increased chance to hit critical body parts, which is certainly not useless - a well trained speardwarf armed with nothing but a wooden training spear can still kill a troll in a single hit to the heart.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:11:13 am »

These are some really good points getting brought up, and in my fort's early stages, increased accuracy of even one of my soldiers would be extremely useful in chasing down snatchers/thieves/ambushers. Sometimes, my dwarfs can actually catch up to a gobbo or kobold, but can't immobilize it before it runs offscreen.

I'll give it a go then and hand it off to my most experienced soldier, aka The Guy Who Once Chopped Off A Goblin's Arm. Maybe he'll actually get to kill something next time a snatcher or thief shows up.
This space for rent

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:47:16 am »

On a tangent, i wish you could build any object as a 'statue' i.e it would be placed on a Plinth and be considered a statue for the purporses of gameplay.

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:06:47 am »

No doubt there's probably a mod around with display cases or the like for something similar.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:21 am »

The Original thread on display cases.

The code, now using any type of glass and not just clear glass!
Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:DISPLAY_CASE]
   [NAME:Display Case]
   [NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
   [DIM:1:1]
   [WORK_LOCATION:1:1]
   [BUILD_LABOR:MASON]
   [BLOCK:1:0]
   [TILE:0:1:'#']
   [COLOR:0:1:MAT]
   [TILE:1:1:'#']
   [COLOR:1:1:MAT]
   [TILE:2:1:'#']
   [COLOR:2:1:MAT]
   [TILE:3:1:147]
   [COLOR:3:1:MAT]
   [BUILD_ITEM:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
   [BUILD_ITEM:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][GLASS_MATERIAL][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
   [BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

Though, I'm not sure if this works in the new version as I'm toying around with mortality and not bothered enough to use these cases.  :P

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:03 am »

It should be a hilarious scene when the Axedwarf notices he can deal more damage slapping people with the side of the axe than trying to dice them.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:16 am »

Artifact silver sword - best used as a cricket bat.

Artifact silver warhammer - dwarven spank paddle.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:11:15 am »

I have platinum sword and silver high boot. Yes boot. They don't make pairs during moods...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 11:27:30 am »

Artifact edged weapons made from inferior materials are kind of a mixed blessing. Against unarmored opponents, they are great. Silver, or even bone, works fine for severing unarmored limbs. The trouble is when you need to get a quick kill on one goblin so you can move on to the three who are ganging up on another dwarf. Even a copper helmet can hold up against a silver axe, so your axedwarf will chop off limbs, the goblin will pass out from pain, and your axedwarf will sit there hacking at the head and failing to penetrate the copper helmet again and again and again and again. Meanwhile, the other dwarf is getting triple-teamed and gets killed because that damned artifact couldn't finish what it started so well. BTDT

So I guess they're better than nothing, but once you can make some replacements with better metals, I'd put it in a trap in the entrance to my dining hall to give everybody good thoughts.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 11:38:46 am »

Just toss it in a trap in your dining hall; it will prevent far more damage to your fortress that way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2