Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LOLOLOL, oh crap...  (Read 6941 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LOLOLOL, oh crap...
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:59 am »

So. Searching for a new site since my terrifying embark contained all of 5 zombies. Woo. Abandoned in year 3.

Found this site, listed major river, thought I remembered something about those being big, figured, eh, why not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That sucker is 26 tiles wide, at the narrowest, with 2 waterfalls from 2 separate rivers flowing in. My embark site:

Nice little cliff. In case you're wondering, that's 13 z-levels of sheer drop to the major river surface. I have multiple cities of all civ's around me, so I expect alot of amushes and sieges... Think I'll build a trap involving getting flushed over that cliff into the river, lol.

This is gunna be fun :-D

EDIT: ... I'm going to lose a lot of dwarves over that cliff, I can feel it now:p

E2: Dear Armok, my FPS dropped from my normal 200 starting point to 79 when I unpaused... This fort might not live long, lol.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:07:11 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: LOLOLOL, oh crap...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:07:44 am »

Nice!

I like the idea of you making a trap to knock people into the river. Sounds like FUN. (no ‼)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:19:40 am »

Nice!

I like the idea of you making a trap to knock people into the river. Sounds like FUN. (no ‼)

My embark is a z-level below one of the rivers that end with a waterfall, so it will actually be pretty easy:p I chose a cold site, so hopefully a brief freeze, place some flood gates, dig a cistern for freezing time, and bam; trap ready:p

My entry tunnel is along the cliff, so replace the walls with bridges, build the cistern above and against the inner bridge, pull a lever, both drop, and the river is diverted across my entryway over the edge. Simple, elegant, what could possibly go wrong? Should work out well.

kronith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:25:26 am »

if you want to boost your fps a bit dam one of the waterfalls. those suckers eat fps if they are big enough.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:27:53 am »

if you want to boost your fps a bit dam one of the waterfalls. those suckers eat fps if they are big enough.

2 waterfalls, 4 tiles wide, one with a 12 z-level drop, the other 14 z-level drop, that big enough? lol.

Side note, about to start digging down, have the surface area prepped and first entry dig complete, moving wagon stuff in now...

Question: Scouting the wall going down the cliff, the next 6 z-levels are listed as "Damp X X Wall."

Does that mean I have a 6 z-level deep aquifer beneath me? :/

EDIT: Oh heck ya, lots of exposed bit-coal and lignite... Along with copper and bronze ores... I'ma gunna be happy here, long as that isn't an aquifer as I suspect... Guess I'll just dig down and find out:p
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:31:15 am by rtg593 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:51 am »

Upload a save please, that we might extract your delicious world seed.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:29 am »

Oof. Very well might be aquifer.

You know what that means? You have to create an awesome cliffside scaffold to get around it. Or, you know, just take the opportunity to create a metropolis entirely out of buildings hewn into the cliffside and bridges and other structures spanning the chasm :D

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:58:28 am »

You know what that means? You have to create an awesome cliffside scaffold to get around it. Or, you know, just take the opportunity to create a metropolis entirely out of buildings hewn into the cliffside and bridges and other structures spanning the chasm :D

That could work... It'll have to be made out of (shudders) wood, however, since the stone layers start halfway into the apparent aquifer.

In other news, FPS: 14 (4). IT BURNS!!!!!

Save, uploaded to the first online file storage website google came up with ;-) http://www.4shared.com/zip/su-Nc6Mo/region3-spr-194.html?refurl=d1url

That save is the initial save, before I actually dug in. It's saved with the phoebus tile set, so I think you'll need to update it to work with whatever your using, but I'm sure you know that.

EDIT: In other news... Lungfish can fly. They're flying all up and down the canyon, 13 z-levels above the major river.
And they're flying over land:
Same spot, 1 z-level down:
And invading my fort:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:18:53 am by rtg593 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:24 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/ <- You can upload anything DF-related here rather safely.  I know for a fact that this is where you downloaded Phoebus from.

Also, flying lungfish sounds legit.  They can already occupy land.  Sky?  That's easy!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:27:46 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5805

Nu-uh, I got Phoebus from...uh... Ok ya, whatever;-)

34.03, by the way. Not updated yet, but far as I know there's no compatibility break?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:36 am »

Definitely file a bug report for those flying lungfish. Include a save with the phenomenon in effect, I think.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:36:46 am »

Yeah, those waterfalls will murder your fps. Incidentally, that river is fairly average as majors go; I've had embarks with rivers 45 tiles wide at the narrowest..

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

Be careful of waterfalls. The water gets shallow right at the edge, so dwarves will path across it. Then they get in the water and get washed off. I'd build a bridge across that eastern small river ASAP or some hunter or fisher will try to get at something on the far side and a while later you'll get a missing dwarf report.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:40 am »

Buliding a bridge AND designating the entire riverbed as restricted both on the riverbed level (to prevent swimmers) and the ground level (to prevent prematurely ending iceskating parties) is a good idea.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:09:56 pm »

Markarth is a dwemer (dwarven) city hewn into the cliffs of a valley in skyrim.
I say we try to remake it, df style.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2