Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why should I care about keeping nobles happy?  (Read 3128 times)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why should I care about keeping nobles happy?
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

Could someone explain a little bit more about Nobles to me?

I think I get the mandates thing, roughly -- they'll issue mandates, and punish dwarves if mandates aren't met.

Why should I care if, say, the Countess is unhappy, though, or doesn't have a Tomb or whatever? Is there any gameplay consequence? I mean, I keep my other dwarves happy so they won't tantrum, but it's not like losing a noble would be a huge loss. Do they issue fewer mandates if they're happy or whatever?>

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: Calenth ]

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why should I care about keeping nobles happy?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

The issue is that they often have the Hammerer do the beatings, which means that if their demands aren't met, they're pretty likely to end up causing a death spiral. Most people just kill off nobles as soon as they arrive.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

It really depends on the sort of things they mandate - if they want something that's easy to provide I'll do everything I can to keep them around because if I kill them they'll just get replaced with someone worse who'll also have to be killed which means there'll be another replacement and so on.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

crystal glass is cause for an assassination. anything else you can request and stockpile.

happiness, as near as i can tell, affects how often they issue mandates, and what type. so unhappy noble will make more demands of your resources and production than happy noble. failure to meet demands is a 'death spiral', especially if they make more demands after the only dwarves with that skill are dead. for a resource you don't have any of.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

So, short answer: You shouldn't. You should, however, care about keeping your execution chamber in working order. :P
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Hah, I love how government in this game is just a horrible interference :P

Ok, so if I keep them happy enough they'll issue fewer tantrums. The countess mandates adamantium, though, time to use that floodgate lever on her bedroom.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

I wouldn't say most people murder their nobles... It really depends on the noble. My current baron really has a thing for nickel. He's not really a bad guy. If the baron goes off the deep end make sure your hammerer's room has a well and a food stockpile and lock him in  :) Oh, and if it can issue a mandate check it's thoughts. If it likes meagre things then don't kill him / her or the next one will be worse.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Actually, I quite like my hammerer ... Last year, ol' Bomrek wandered to the site of the Battle to pick up his latest acquisition, a narrow cloak ... and met the three goblin ambusher who had managed to avoid the weapon traps.
Without uttering a single word of complaint, he annihilated the would-be invaders, sending their brittle bodies flying - one goblin corps actually wound up on top of a tree.
The only demand he ever had was easily met too (trifle pewter statue) ... unlike the Duchess Consort, who went berserk because we exported too many narrow gauntlets *shrug*

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fossaman:
<STRONG>So, short answer: You shouldn't. You should, however, care about keeping your execution chamber in working order. :P</STRONG>

Or have 200 metallic cages designated as a prison to make sure there are no beatings, only imprisonments. That is, if Captain Mayday hasn't lied to me in Nisth Akath. Or you could also refrain from building a jail, seeing punishments have to take place at the jail, or at least beatings.

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kidiri:
<STRONG>

Or have 200 metallic cages designated as a prison to make sure there are no beatings, only imprisonments. That is, if Captain Mayday hasn't lied to me in Nisth Akath. Or you could also refrain from building a jail, seeing punishments have to take place at the jail, or at least beatings.</STRONG>

Pretty sure I've had dwarves beaten to a pulp both with and without a jail...

I don't like to kill nobles but I do have to take down the hammerer pretty often, I've had limited success with giving him crippling yet nonfatal injuries, but it's not really reliable.

Never thought about locking him in a room with a well though. Hmm...

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kidiri:
<STRONG>Or have 200 metallic cages designated as a prison to make sure there are no beatings, only imprisonments. That is, if Captain Mayday hasn't lied to me in Nisth Akath. Or you could also refrain from building a jail, seeing punishments have to take place at the jail, or at least beatings.</STRONG>

Every crime is assigned a punishment.  Sometimes that punishment is jail time, sometimes the punishment is a beating.  Having a ton of cages will NOT prevent some criminals from getting beatings.  However, having NO cages will mean that ALL your criminals will get beatings (because if no empty cages/restraints are available, criminals assigned jail sentences will get beatings instead).  Also, beatings can be dished out anywhere, not just at the jail.

So really, the best solution that I've been able to find (aside from preventing punishments altogether) is to have a jail of reasonable size, and assign a complete wimp to be your sheriff.  That way when there are punishments to be dished out, some guys will get jail time, and when your sheriff has to dish out a beating it won't be as deadly.

Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Xenon:
<STRONG>crystal glass is cause for an assassination. anything else you can request and stockpile.</STRONG>

Yeah, anything else is fine but I seem incapable of finding rock crystal so whenever a noble requests something with crystal glass I load up companion and set them up to get butchered into dwarf meat. Nothing like a superior roast made out of that damn Baron who made unreasonable requests and set stupid mandates.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

Don't assassinate nobles, just assassinate hammerers!  Sure, they get replaced, but those hammers are kinda valuable.

Or just don't assign a captain of the guard or any fortress guards at all, and the hammerer will never do anything because nobody has actually *failed* to administer justice.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

Stop.  Listen.
What time is it?
Hammertime!
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

I don't kill nobles.
I only kill their children.
Mwoeharghargharghargharhar.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2