Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Used to train at archery target but stoped  (Read 1468 times)

driftkid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Used to train at archery target but stoped
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

For a short time they did practice but now all my crossbow squad does is hang around in the meeting area. They are all armed with crossbows with wooden bolts are in stand down mode and the targets are 3 spaces wide like wiki says. I'm not sure what made them stop but it's annoying. They are also instructed to use their crossbow in fights.

misc: there are 3 targets about 3 tiles apart from each other and they fall in the barracks room size includes the targets.

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: driftkid ]

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Used to train at archery target but stoped
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

I think i read somewhere that if your marksdwarves have a shield, they'll be holding this in their hand instead of the practice bolts, which means they won't train.

Maybe they stopped because you gave them those shields?

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

First of all, the shield thing is not true.  They WILL TRAIN WITH SHIELDS.  I don't know why people keep posting this.  Try giving your squad a new leader and see if they train then.  Make sure they have quivers too.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

maybe you need to reset the archery targets as rooms.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

I've seen marksdwarves standing around on "Soldier" as well. After a while, or after setting the squad on duty and off again a bit later, they'll got back to practicing.
Suggested explanations:
a) Are all your bone/wood bolts already in someone's quiver?
b) Did they train using a 5-stack of bolts, like made from one bone? In a similar thread, someone suggested this might make them hang around Soldiering for a little while. No idea if that's the case though  :)