Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm about to attempt/prevent !!FUN!! with my first magma dredge  (Read 1147 times)

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I just breached my first cavern layer ever, and to my luck there's a giant magma pool right next to my breach point (not RIGHT next to it, close enough i can see the pool but not close enough for a dwarven hot tub).  I want to pump magma up about ~30-40 stories so my new forges are located kinda close to my existing stockpiles for some degree of convenience.  I've already designed a power system using windmills, my local brook, and waterwheels that has about 1k power before powertrain consumption with possible expansion room should I need it.

I also know(?) that magma doesn't obey pressure the same way water does but im still unclear on how exactly it works with the blood of armok.  So I have two questions:

1.) If i build a reservoir for magma storage say, 3 levels deep, and cut channels on the lowest level connected to my reservoir for forges, will i get overflow if I cut straight channels?  Or if I build it so there's a diagonal path to the forge area to eliminate pressure?  Or should I use floodgates (mag-safe of course)?

2.) For the magma source:  I read on the wiki that magma tube slowly refill over time back to their original depth, and my current plans have my magma 'draw' at 1 level below the surface like this:

_________________  <----open space layer
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[][] <---------magma w/ undug walls
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX----------- magma and path to pump stack

If I want a large reservoir of magma stored immediately (say, with the reservoir having a slightly larger cross-sectional area than the origin pool) shouold i put the draw-point further down so i don't have to wait for it to refill?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm about to attempt/prevent !!FUN!! with my first magma dredge
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:15:33 pm »

1)  you're fine
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:34:49 pm »

1)  you're fine

Let me elaborate:  Magma is viscous and therefore you don't need to alleviate the pressure by digging diagonally.

From the Wiki: "Without screw pumps to impart pressure, magma flows rather slowly (though no more slowly than unpressurized water)."

That said, if you dig into magma, make sure you don't do it from the same level.   While it IS rather slow, the slightest touch will MELT YOUR MINERS FEET. Work out the consequences yourself.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:38:51 pm by Haekel »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:42:13 pm »

Channel into the wall from beside an existing channel, it'll drop and your miner should have enough time to run away... Should being the operative word ;)

Remove the upramp from against the magma pipe in that channel should stop the minerals from digging it from the ramp, use the dug tile next to it. Should improve his odds.

Lotsa should going on in that post, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »

Or dig the Magma reservoir & exit tunnels before you start pumping out your magma pipe
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:45:50 pm »

So if i pump magma into the reservoir i'll be fine if i throw a floodgate in the way or something? I mean if i pump directly into the reservoir btw.

Also thanks for the channeling advice.  All my miners are legendary in mining and another profession so i'd rather not lose them right now

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »

once you put magma through a pump stack, treat it as you would treat pressurized water.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:10:15 am »

Awesome, thanks for help with this guys.  I will post results if !!FUN!! occurs.

No word on the second part of the question though.  If I start that high in the pool, will my pump start sucking air before my reservoir gets filled?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:14 am »

You'll probably be sucking air before long. When I tapped the first z-level of the magme sea, I was sucking air pretty soon. Had to shut the pumps off and back on a few times.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:49 am »

Make a new pick,  give said pick to Ursit Mc immigrant Lyemaker and enable mining on him and  create a burrow that includes the channeling area as well as the escape route,  confine your new rookie miner to that burrow and your regular miners to somewhere safe. If the Rookie lives congratulations he is now a member of the guild of miners,  if he dies well you'll have magma soon so you'll be able to replace that pick fairly easily.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<