Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Odin  (Read 1332 times)

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project Odin
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »

Anyone else heard of this? It's a project over at http://www.gaslampgames.com/ that has been a subject of speculation.  Some people are thinking it's a "DF-lite".  Any opinions/thoughts from the people here? They (Gaslamp) are being total teases about its true nature, I suspect they enjoy watching people go insane.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Project Odin
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:52 pm »

Before anyone spazzes out, the link is legit, as is the company.

(PS- It tends to raise people's suspicions when an Escaped Lunatic makes some of their first posts linking to stuff in OG.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:51 pm »

Hey at least he's been registered for more than 6 months, just apparently a lurker. :P

About the game, I do like Dungeons of Dredmor, so it should be interesting to see what Gaslamp does after it. I don't really feel like digging through speculation and old posts to try and figure out what we know, though, so I'll wait for them to actually show us. :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »

I wasn't a huge fan of Dredmor, but I do like things with pipes so I'm now highly interested in this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:44:16 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »

Before anyone spazzes out, the link is legit, as is the company.

(PS- It tends to raise people's suspicions when an Escaped Lunatic makes some of their first posts linking to stuff in OG.)

They made dungeons of dredmor so it has to have potential, regardless of what it is.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:22:21 pm »

Not only is it a legit company, it's an awesome company.

They haven't really released any information (that I can find) besides "we are working on a new project" and "we hired a 3D artist", so it's too early to predict a whole lot. After all the hours I put into Dredmor though it's kind of a given that I'm buying whatever they put out next.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »

I wasn't a huge fan of Dredmor, but I do like things with pipes so I'm now high interested in this.

+1

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »

Hey at least he's been registered for more than 6 months, just apparently a lurker. :P

"lurk moar, never enough, etc etc"

Yeah, Dredmor has been my timesink of choice over the past couple months (though I put it down and picked up DF again while Gaslamp finishes up the v1.0.10 patch).  I initially dismissed it as being an easy-mode roguelite, and then it started kicking my ass on as regular a basis as NetHack ever did.  Respect gained.  And the humor is great.

They have hinted strongly at the importance of construction and resource management in Odin, so I'm currently firmly entrenched in the "DF-lite" camp.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:55:29 pm by TychoTheDwarf »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:26:50 pm »

Couldn't hurt to keep track of this here thing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:50 pm »

my favorite part of DF is megaprojects and any game that gives me an easy way to do stuff like that with more gizmos to do it with is tops in my book.

I not saying they will do this, but if they do it, and do it right, it may be along the lines of an ideal game for me.
I got nothing