Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: This video made me rage, no joke.  (Read 20026 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: This video made me rage, no joke.
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »

And more dwarfs.
Games are becoming much simplier than they were before, I see this as a bad thing. Games weren't like SUPER MEGA COMPLEX WITH LAZORS or extremely hard (Battle toads damn you.), but they are becoming stupid simple now. Specially with this new wave of crappy indie games which took over the market.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »

Given the nature of the market, developers are probably going to make what most people like will buy based on the cover art or trailer. If you're not "most people," then you're not going to be catered to by most developers.

It should really be noted though that many, MANY more games are being released nowadays than back in the 80s and 90s, and every single game type is still being made. Games like Battletoads or whatever are being made, and in larger quantities than before; you just don't hear about them because they're not mainstream and you don't bother to go looking for them. You want a stupidly difficult platformer? You can find one. Dozens even, released in the past year.

As for the dwarf fortress "ripoff," do note that there is nothing new under the sun. Also, refining ideas makes better games overall. If nothing was ever "stolen," then we'd have a handful of highly unique but flawed games and a whole lot of developers going down the list trying to find an idea that isn't copyrighted yet. Not good mojo.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:52 pm »

The game looks like a mix of Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, and DF.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. :D

The genre is tiny enough as is.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »

This video made me rage, too.

Sure, I'm disappointed that it looks to be so very, very similar to Dwarf Fortress. That bothers me as much because my favorite pen and paper game company, Palladium Books, basically got squeezed out of the option of making a game based on their RIFTS franchise by the MMORPG RIFT, which snuck in and snagged the title - to say nothing of the vast similarities between content. (Summary in spoiler at bottom)

What really made me rage, though, was that voice over. Seriously. It just... I mean... I... RHHAAAAAAGGGGGG! *flips desk*

Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 02:21:58 pm »

Who are you and why are you playing a roguelike ?

I'm just someone that doesn't always equate 'less complex' with 'dumbed down'.

I for one wouldn't complain if the all the necessary steps that need to be taken just to make dig a well in DF were *ahem* 'dumbed down'. There are some people that like everything you need to go through in order to do what should be basic things, such as building beds before you can build...a bed... :/

I've learned not to argue with people whose identity of Dwarf Fortress is built on those grounds, because they and I are in it for entirely different reasons. The above sort of nuisances are things i merely tolerate about DF and hope to see go away as future versions (EDIT: Or entirely different products) get more refined.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:05 pm »

Another spammer. Lovely. Toady seems to have removed the spam post

On topic: I actually like the game, since it's another Dungeon Keeper-like game, of which there are not many, and I really don't belive that it'll draw people away from DF. In fact, it may attract more people to it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:07:02 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »

Personally, the video made me rage, but simply because it was such an awful trailer. If they're ripping off DF then they have better taste than I saw.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 07:02:56 pm »

If they're ripping off DF then they have better taste than I saw.

so true, classless fools rip ideas off mainstream series, artistic geniuses rip ideas off DF.
on the minecraft<dwarf fortress note. i used to play minecraft, got ass end bored of it, and found dwarf fortress(again*) when searching for minecraft stuff. so yeah id say minecraft added to our fanbase.

(*i had played dwarf fortress many years ago, but had given up in five minutes via frustration.)
(how the hell does via translate to by the way of?)

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 08:11:36 pm »

(*i had played dwarf fortress many years ago, but had given up in five minutes via frustration.)
(how the hell does via translate to by the way of?)
Off-topic:  Via was Latin for road.  Roads, paths, etc. are often used metaphorically for connecting concepts or events or for transition between them in many languages, including English.

See, e.g. http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/09/latin-via-used-for-other-meanings/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:13:18 pm by Valdrax »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:47 am »

ah cool, makes sense... latin is weird...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:44 am »

For once, I entirely agree with KFK. Yes, I'm annoyed with the millions of mouth-breathing morons who fuel the soulless abomination that is EA Games by buying this year's Madden NFL which is literally exactly the same game as last year with a new roster.

I'm equally annoyed, however, by the people who have the gall to insult the hard work of the vast majority of the gaming industry by reducing the whole medium to a boolean value. You're either a nut-bustingly complex game like Dwarf Fortress that follows a philosophy of simulationism and unlimited player choice, or you're an oppressively linear, uninspired brown-beige AAA studio-released first person shooter that was released to meet the quarterly profit quota.

Platformers, strategy games, and puzzle games that are simple in nature but lovingly crafted and unique? Hundreds of small-time developers trying to accomplish something new and push the medium forward technically and artistically? Lone indie developers striving to express themselves artistically and produce a fun game for others to enjoy with them? Forget it, they don't exist. Dwarves or GTFO.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2012, 09:49:36 am »

Dammit, I'm seeing a very bad trend in Bay12. No, not everything is going to be shit because it's not insanely complex. No, it's not ripping off DF and yes it probably isn't going to replace it. A game doesn't need to delete your save to be good, not every game needs to have a complete combat system right down to the nerves to be good, not every game needs to survive off donations to be good, not every game must be made by an indie dev, and not every game needs to allow you no rest to be good. And if they don't have any of these qualities, that doesn't mean that they are simply churned out by a huge machine. They are made lovingly, or with determination, or at least they had some thought put into them, same for most other games. People put effort in. At least respect that.

OT: It's about dwarves. It doesn't have a great voiceover. It may be a troll. It doesn't bother me.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:00 am »

Game director talked about the game in THIS forum. I'm sure they have respect for Dwarf Fortress. No need to rage and worry about the game getting stolen.

People were raging about how Terraria is a stolen idea from Minecraft. I started playing Minecraft because of Terraria.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 12:10:22 pm »

Dammit, I'm seeing a very bad trend in Bay12. No, not everything is going to be shit because it's not insanely complex. No, it's not ripping off DF and yes it probably isn't going to replace it. A game doesn't need to delete your save to be good, not every game needs to have a complete combat system right down to the nerves to be good, not every game needs to survive off donations to be good, not every game must be made by an indie dev, and not every game needs to allow you no rest to be good. And if they don't have any of these qualities, that doesn't mean that they are simply churned out by a huge machine. They are made lovingly, or with determination, or at least they had some thought put into them, same for most other games. People put effort in. At least respect that.

OT: It's about dwarves. It doesn't have a great voiceover. It may be a troll. It doesn't bother me.

This. Although what is more bothersome to me is the trend of claiming "X ripped off Y OMGOMG!". No shit; most of human development was taking successful ideas from other places and people and incorporating them into your own life/society/whatever with whatever changes or improvements you wanted to make.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 12:48:57 pm »

This. Although what is more bothersome to me is the trend of claiming "X ripped off Y OMGOMG!". No shit; most of human development was taking successful ideas from other places and people and incorporating them into your own life/society/whatever with whatever changes or improvements you wanted to make.

Agreed. Also I'm starting to think a question about A Game of Dwarves should be added to the FAQ that's pending sticky, considering how a new topic is made by someone about it every 3 weeks.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7