Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: This video made me rage, no joke.  (Read 20017 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: This video made me rage, no joke.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:29 am »

I doubt this will be able to take any people away from Dwarf fortress. I'm pretty sure it will have either no effect or instead attract more people like minecraft did.( Which is at least one, because that's how I started playing DF)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:38 am »

In the new video they talk about moods and such, so it is more than Dungeon Keeper with dwarves. But I found it a little arcadish. Hope they end up with a good game and its helps to bring DF more players.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:25 am »

Also no game can beat DF in complexity. We shall win.

That's not necessarily a good thing.  ;D

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:36 am »

You're right. Casual gamers (which means most people) hate complexity and like things "streamlined" and they love shiny graphics.

So, this will happen:
Someday, someone will come to this forum accusing DF of being a crappy graphics-less ripoff of Game of Dwarves. I hope I'm there to see it.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:39 am »

You're right. Casual gamers (which means most people) hate complexity and like things "streamlined" and they love shiny graphics.

I'd pay $60 for a streamlined Dwarf Fortress with shiny graphics.

I've given Toady $0.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:56 am »

I'd pay $60 for a streamlined Dwarf Fortress with shiny graphics.

I've given Toady $0.
I do not pay $60 for a streamlined Dwarf Fortress with shiny graphics because it does not exist.

I haven't heard of Toady at all.

Ie Those that will pay for this game will probaly either be DF players already or won't donate/ play it in the first place.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:03 am »

It's incredibly similar to DK 2 (I never played the first one due to incopability issues.) I won't buy it.(Just TPB it. :P[Really])
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Steb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »

I don't see how this can come close to the complexity of DF. So it's a management game and features dwarves. I highly doubt it will allow me to brain giant albatrosses with a +rope reed sock+, or distract a goblin army by catapulting a gaggle of trained war geese from my battlements at them whilst my military, with individualised gem encrusted weapons, wade in and cut the invaders down; only DF can offer that level of complexity.

I'd play it, sure, because it looks like the sort of thing I enjoy. But it can't replace DF in my heart.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »

I see no problem - almost all games are heavily based on other games, I would be happy to see thousands of games based on DF, maybe 0,01% will be better (see also Rogue that started roguelike games).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

Who are you and why are you playing a roguelike ?

Sure I believe there are plenty of unnecessary complexity in Dwarf Fortress, but what complexity I dislike it doesn't makes the game more interesting. Different styles of gem cuts ? Useless IMO. Five species of gibbons which are nearly exactly the same ? Utterly useless. All the aesthetic info about dwarves ? About the same. Growing, intricate beards ? Still useless.

What is interesting is the complexity that will make this game into the ultimate fantasy simulator, with less and less limits.

Want to siege a city ? You will be able to ! Want to siege a city with catapults and all the proper sieging tactics ? Yes ! Want to siege a city by sending fliers into the city via the same catapult and let them let ruin the city ? Yes ! Want to utterly destroy a city by throwing a volcano spell attached to a rock via the same catapult, and then enjoying the devastation (as well as a giant FPS drop) as a volcano grows and lays waste to the city before your very eyes ? HELL YEAH !

What other game will simulate the temperature as the city burns ? What other game will let you hear the piercing cries of the war giant eagles you just launched into the city ? NO ONE !
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:03:50 pm by Naryar »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:02 pm »

What other game will let you hear the piercing cries of the war giant eagles you just launched into the city ? NO ONE !
I'm ok with seeing green and blue g's as armorclad goblins wielding bows and swords but when I start hearing voices from looking at them I'll delete the game forever.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »

Who are you and why are you playing a roguelike ?

Sure I believe there are plenty of unnecessary complexity in Dwarf Fortress, but what complexity I dislike it doesn't makes the game more interesting. Different styles of gem cuts ? Useless IMO. Five species of gibbons which are nearly exactly the same ? Utterly useless. All the aesthetic info about dwarves ? About the same. Growing, intricate beards ? Still useless.

What is interesting is the complexity that will make this game into the ultimate fantasy simulator, with less and less limits.

Want to siege a city ? You will be able to ! Want to siege a city with catapults and all the proper sieging tactics ? Yes ! Want to siege a city by sending fliers into the city via the same catapult and let them let ruin the city ? Yes ! Want to utterly destroy a city by throwing a volcano spell attached to a rock via the same catapult, and then enjoying the devastation (as well as a giant FPS drop) as a volcano grows and lays waste to the city before your very eyes ? HELL YEAH !

What other game will simulate the temperature as the city burns ? What other game will let you hear the piercing cries of the war giant eagles you just launched into the city ? NO ONE !

I like complexity too but complex games tend to be the worst when it comes to selling. Shiny graphics, lots of guns and explosions, dumbed down gameplay, and some exposed female skin can make a high selling game. That's what modern gaming is like.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 03:42:56 pm »

Oh noes! A game vaguely-similar to DF! We must now all quickly take it in turns to explain to each other why DF is an unstoppable juggernaut of a cottage industry and that any attempts to make a version actually accessible by those without the patience of a hundred waiting spiders are pointless, as the people they're trying to appeal to are not our people and that makes them evil and any attempts to appeal to them evil!

True gamers know that real games have no objective besides what the player sets for themself, a UI that takes upwards of a month to learn, and graphics that aren't, and that anyone who can't handle that is self-evidently subhuman and can have their preferences ignored.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »

I'm not saying we are the next stage of human evolution but when I look at modern gaming it doesn't give me much hope. DRM, crappy DLCs, dumbed down gameplay, graphics>gameplay mentality and stuff like that doesn't look very promising to me. But majority like these games and there is nothing to say about it because of this fact.

First Person Shooters are fun to play but if you play one of them you experience most of them already.

If Quake was done today, it would suck

edit: this is cool too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM&list=UU0gEw6pgNkLkkzMwzX4UtHA&index=8&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:55:45 pm by Leatra »

Elim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »

Yeah, the current generation sucks.
I do play around 2-3 games a year, and 2 of them are DF and Aurora. Maybe some Paradox title. But that's it.
Guild Wars 2 looks interesting...but other than that? Meh, i feel like there simply is nothing more to discover. Everything feels the same. Like some sort of colorless blob.
Pop-a-mole cover shooter (Gears of War/Mass Effect) ...badly hack and slash would-be "RPG" (Dragon Age 2/Amalur/Skyrim) or Call of Battlefield: Modern something...didn't play THAT stuff the last 7 years!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:55:49 pm by Elim »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7