Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: This video made me rage, no joke.  (Read 19995 times)

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Re: This video made me rage, no joke.
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »

I started to watch that video and told myself to have an open mind. So I put on my head phones and was shocked to hear that the trailer was not only bad, but was using the ACTUAL MUSIC from DF as background music. I was livid, came here to prepare to rip a strip off them with rage... and then realized I had DF running in the background the whole time :P

But seriously, having games similar to DF are a plus, because people who like games like having more than one. And those who play AGOD and like it will find DF and possibly even donate, whilst those who don't will hate on AGOD all their lives and never once bad mouth DF because they never played it. Instant positive publicity without risk.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 03:53:43 pm »

Actually, it looks like A Game of Dwarfs will be made by the same people who made a game called "Dwarfs!?"  So they've already built off of DF, and now they're improving on what they've already made.

On a side note.  I really like Paradox Interactive.  They aren't afraid of complexity, but they make sure to give the user tools for dealing with it.  They aren't all about flashy graphics, but they do make their graphics good enough to keep the games from being distractingly ugly.  They also care a lot about their community and are really supportive of modding and suggestions for their games. 

If any company can make a good DF-like game, it would be Paradox.

(All that said, this game is actually being made by a studio called Zeal, which I've never heard of. Paradox is just producing and distributing it. Mount and Blade was good, but most of Paradox's other out-of-house projects like this haven't been spectacular. So we'll see how that goes.)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 05:06:27 pm »

Actually, it looks like A Game of Dwarfs will be made by the same people who made a game called "Dwarfs!?"  So they've already built off of DF, and now they're improving on what they've already made.

On a side note.  I really like Paradox Interactive.  They aren't afraid of complexity, but they make sure to give the user tools for dealing with it.  They aren't all about flashy graphics, but they do make their graphics good enough to keep the games from being distractingly ugly.  They also care a lot about their community and are really supportive of modding and suggestions for their games. 

If any company can make a good DF-like game, it would be Paradox.

(All that said, this game is actually being made by a studio called Zeal, which I've never heard of. Paradox is just producing and distributing it. Mount and Blade was good, but most of Paradox's other out-of-house projects like this haven't been spectacular. So we'll see how that goes.)

Two recent Paradox project that were utter failures: Swords of the stars 2 and King Arthur 2. Bugged to the point of being completely unplayable at launch. I'm wary of their out-of-house projects.

All the luck for A Game of Dwarves, though.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:29 pm »

You didn't play Crusader Kings 2?

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 05:21:05 pm »

You didn't play Crusader Kings 2?
I haven't yet.  The original was awesome, though.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 05:22:45 pm »

Most bugless Paradox game ever, in my opinion. If you liked the first one you'll love this one.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 05:31:06 pm »

Why would you rage over this? Simply because it's a game where you build stuff and has dwarves in it doesn't mean it's a dwarf fortress ripoff.
It's a common theme, I'd go as f ar as to say it's a good thing games like these are still being made. Plenty different from Dwarf Fortress as well.

Also damn battletoads, I still need to finish that freaking game. No idea how far I have gotten last I played it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:31 pm »

Usually the earlier version of all paradox games are buggy as hell, then they start lauhing super mega duper patches that fixes everything. (Victoria ll and those pesky unkillable rebel armies for example.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:56 pm »

Most games I love are released in a horribly buggy state. I always have to wait for bugfixes. It sucks. Why can't I love CoD and mindlessly play it? WHY?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »

Most games I love are released in a horribly buggy state. I always have to wait for bugfixes. It sucks. Why can't I love CoD and mindlessly play it? WHY?

Buggy is one thing, completely broken is another completely different.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »

I was about to say you can make similar stuff without being a ripoff.

But when he said "forgotten beasts", I KNEW it was a ripoff.

Still would like to try.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2012, 07:59:32 am »

Rejoice! Atleast isn't EA or Ubisoft. (Oh armok, imagine DF requiring internet to play >.<)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2012, 08:01:11 am »

Rejoice! Atleast isn't EA or Ubisoft. (Oh armok, imagine DF requiring internet to play >.<)
Yeah, I would rage if it was Ubisoft.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »

It looks like something i would play for about three days, bore, and uninstall.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2012, 03:59:53 pm »

I was about to say you can make similar stuff without being a ripoff.

But when he said "forgotten beasts", I KNEW it was a ripoff.

Still would like to try.
Really?  I seem to recall that being mentioned several times in Tolkien.  First Durin et al dug up a balrog (An enormous humanoid made of shadows and fire.  It has goatlike horns and shadowy wings. Beware its deadly scourge!), and then when Gandalf fell down the pit and fought the balrog, it mentions him encountering bizarre creatures of the underworld, long since forgotten.  It may well be older than Tolkien, but that's what I remember it from.   This is a classic dwarf trope.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7