Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I to do with Goblin/Kobold/etc corpses?  (Read 3391 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What am I to do with Goblin/Kobold/etc corpses?
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:07 am »

Fellow Dwarfherders,

I shredded some goblins and cobolds (I LOVE weapon traps with large, serrated disks!), and my dutyful Urist McTrashhauls moved their remains to the refuse stockpile.

My bonecrafter took whatever he considered useful to make some trinkets for the elves, but there are still a lot of corpses on that pile. The butcher won't touch them, as they are "sentients", but what can I do with them? Can I just let them rot for a while and they'll be gone? Can I somehow harvest more bones from them? Or should I just build a loooong dump chute right into the magma sea to clean up the refuse pile?

Yours, Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What am I to do with Goblin/Kobold/etc corpses?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:40:49 am »

Personally I mod the RAWs so I can eat/butcher etc sentients. Even without modding bodies will eventually rot into skeletons and can be turned into bones, if you want.

Otherwise magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:35 am »

I recommend dumping them in magma, or atom-smashing them.  The rate at which skeletons spontaneously turn into bones is so low that it might as well be non-existent, and if a necromancer shows up all those spare skeletons will just be more things to attack you.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:43:20 am »

I recommend dumping them in magma, or atom-smashing them.  The rate at which skeletons spontaneously turn into bones is so low that it might as well be non-existent, and if a necromancer shows up all those spare skeletons will just be more things to attack you.
Seconded. Necromancers make skeletons rather dangerous to hang around, and from my personal tests I've been finding that just about the minimum time it takes for a goblin corpse to decay is in the 8-10 years range and even then it can be quite higher depending upon how mangled the body was before it started decomposition and how large the goblin was before death.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.