Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cliff hanger  (Read 1300 times)

Andrej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cliff hanger
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

Ok, so I found a very nice 3x3 spot in a pocket world with most everything. The thing is that the outside is almost all ledges and cliffs with no connection to the other levels (which are a lot). In fact my dwarfs spawned on a small ledge and must literally dig to get anywhere.

How my question is: Where do I build my depot so all the races have access? I don't know where they will come from and all ledges are pretty much sealed off from another.

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff hanger
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

Ideally you tunnel a 3 wide tunnel out to an access point that has a clear path to the edge of the map.  In reality, you may need to wait until the first traders come to see where they come from, then you should make a 3 wide tunnel to your underground depot.

Alternatively you can create a depot on the edge of the screen to ensure trading, and then move it later.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: greggbert ]

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

IF you play DF like I do, then by about the 5th year, a good portion of the map will be changed to your needs. Like I love large construction projects and tunneling/ reshaping projects.

Andrej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

So I guess it's build a depot on a ledge, wait until a delegation arrives and quickly build ramps from their ledge to the depot. Is that about right?

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

I've never had to accommodate the direction traders come from.  If they can only get to my depot from one side of the map, that's the side they come from.

Tulthix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

I have the current working theory:  the caravan will arrive from the same Z-level you embarked on.  I had a recent game with a depot at the base of a sheer cliff, with (D) wagon access to the south edge of the map.  The caravan spawned on the high plateau of the cliff and the wagons would not come.  When I embarked, I started on the high plateau Z-level.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tulthix:
<STRONG>I have the current working theory:  the caravan will arrive from the same Z-level you embarked on.  I had a recent game with a depot at the base of a sheer cliff, with (D) wagon access to the south edge of the map.  The caravan spawned on the high plateau of the cliff and the wagons would not come.  When I embarked, I started on the high plateau Z-level.</STRONG>

I don't think that's right.  I started out on a plateau and traders came from a different z-level.  However, they could get to my starting position from that place (at least the mules could, the wagons had too many boulders in the way)  Could it be that mules can at least access your starting point?

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

Build your depot where-ever you like. If cliffs are an issue just use ramps of sufficient width. Wagons can travel on ramps.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Katawa ]

att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.