Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Pregnancy and other (possibly) stupid questions.  (Read 8084 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Pregnancy and other (possibly) stupid questions.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 11:39:03 am »

My vote is that the [STERILE] tag aborts the pregnancy.

Mayby a meat syndrome?
You could have a meat factory that produces poison meat out of micronline, and it adds the [STERILE] tag or so.
Not too hard.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 11:40:13 am »

My vote is that [STERILE] affects only the 'can get pregnant' flag and doesn't touch existing pregnancies.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 11:42:22 am »

Haunted forest? Newbie? Jesus, you're crazy!

If you're playing the newest version, the dificulties to play in the biomes are as follows:

Sinister: You got rains and mists that melt you
Haunted: You got rains and mists that melt you, plus you get wilderness monsters coming for ya
Terrifying: You're crazy. Undead ogres. Good luck.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 12:50:43 pm »

I didn't think it was that crazy.  I mean, I had done two forts before it! haha!

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 10:04:11 pm »

So I picked up a caged leopard and honey badger.  I was wondering how the hell I can weaponize these two animals.  I an't seem to train them.  Could I just tie them up to a post at the entrance of my fort?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:11 pm »

Did you pick them up from elves?  If so, they are tamed already.  If they're wild, you could mod them to [PET].  The only way to tame them is with a dungeon master, and that noble is broken, so everyone mods them to [PET] instead.

Once tame, just put them in a cage near the entrance and release when greenskins come knocking.  Or pasture them near the entrance.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »

I'm a big fan of pasturing dogs/whatever at the entrance after trying it, and have been using it since just before 0.34 came out.  Thank you to whoever it was I saw post the idea. Thank you!

I checked, and one of my dwarves had a second child almost exactly 9 months after the first (both born in the fortress).

Something nobody else has mentioned is that dwarves do not remarry (that I have seen or heard about).  This means that if a mother is cranking out too many Dwarf-Child-does-what-it-pleases, knock off her spouse and she'll breed no more (assuming that for some reason you don't want to knock her into the magma moat or under the about to be lowered drawbridge "accidentally").

As for walling themselves in, the others have posted the basics: they want to build from the W, N, E then S, in that order, and designating something else on a particular tile unually keeps them from standing on it when building.  A more reliable method, that requires more micromanagement, is to closely watch as they approach to build a particular item that will cause them to get stuck, and suspend the build job after they have started, so the item is placed, but before they complete it and wall themselves in.  Once they have walked to safety, unsuspend the job and they will walk up to it and they (or another dwarf) will immediately get to work from whichever side they arrived at.  I have been having no issues with this method, other than remembering to only enable the "dangerous" builds when i'm able to monitor their progress closely (I swear, my 6yo son is less management intensive ;) ).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 10:56:44 pm »

Did you pick them up from elves?  If so, they are tamed already.  If they're wild, you could mod them to [PET].  The only way to tame them is with a dungeon master, and that noble is broken, so everyone mods them to [PET] instead.

Once tame, just put them in a cage near the entrance and release when greenskins come knocking.  Or pasture them near the entrance.

I figured out how to make the leopard into a war leopard, so I went ahead and did that.  I chained the honey badger to the front entrance, just to tell the world that we don't give a shit, we're just crazy.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 11:33:35 pm »

Getting a dwarf to STARVING or DEHYDRATED state may cause miscarriage btw.

Alternatively set CHILD_CAP in the init. You will still get migrant children though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:35:09 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »

Which is fairly easy to do, if you burrow them away from food stockpiles.  They'll leave a burrow to save their lives and eat, but will stay put until starving/dehydrated.
Pages: 1 [2]