Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire adventurer has lost it's spine  (Read 2764 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Vampire adventurer has lost it's spine
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:11:28 am »

So I had an normal dwarf adventurer, then I drank vampire blood and become a vampire.

After that I was finding a hole full of animal men fighting between different species, so not finding the entry, I just let myself fall in. Knowing it was 2 z-levels deep, I thought it was no threat.

It tore up my spine, and I killed the remaining animal men with throwing. But I can't do anything else, i can't stand nor grasp, and my pushing attacks are harmless. Also since they had blowguns, I collected different venoms and killed them with that (partly)

Problem is that thrown venom may break bones, shatter skulls, and damage organs, but it doesn't seem to have any poison effect. Maybe I hit no arteries with it.

Also, I couldn't climb the ramp at the end of the tunnel which was FILLED with animal men. So I retired my adventurer and replayed it, now he's in town, still with a blue injury to the spine.

What can I do to heal that injury ? Tetraplegic vampires are boring to play, as i'm ridiculously slow and can only throw stuff to kill.

I think I should have let myself bitten by a werebeast. Seems I can't heal that spinal injury now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:17:15 am by Naryar »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire adventurer has lost it's spine
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:45 am »

Yep. Unless you're a werebeast, spinal injuries are like diamonds.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »

I thought vampires could survive spinal injuries just fine?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »

as in no chokeing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »

I thought vampires could survive spinal injuries just fine?

There is a difference between "Survive" and "Not be permanently crippled by". Vampires will live more often because of their damage reduction bonus and because they don't need to breathe, not because their nervous system is immune to massive levels of damage.

3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »

I got sick of it, and got as well absolutely trashed by bogeymen, but i survived. I couldn't see, so I though my eyes were gone, but after travelling it was fine.

So I threw my adventurer into a volcano. Then I couldn't do anything, and "gave up to starvation"

Yeah my vampire starved in lava  :P

Achanei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:56:36 am »

I am not sure about this and its too late, but for the sake of the idea: shouldn't becoming a husk solve that, too? afaik they dont need nerves at all - i guess they should be able to move without them, too. so, maybe next time try evil mist instead of volcano...even though it was a demise with style, credits for you, sir.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:59 pm »

Yeah my vampire starved in lava  :P

Only in Dwarf Fortress.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »

I am not sure about this and its too late, but for the sake of the idea: shouldn't becoming a husk solve that, too? afaik they dont need nerves at all - i guess they should be able to move without them, too. so, maybe next time try evil mist instead of volcano...even though it was a demise with style, credits for you, sir.

The issue here is that you can't tell what an evil fog will do before wandering into it. Sure, you could become healed (at the cost of everything hating you forever), but it's more likely you'll turn inside out or something equally horrible.

... which sounds pretty dang dwarfy, not that I think about it.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Achanei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

The issue here is that you can't tell what an evil fog will do before wandering into it. Sure, you could become healed (at the cost of everything hating you forever), but it's more likely you'll turn inside out or something equally horrible.

... which sounds pretty dang dwarfy, not that I think about it.

wasnt this precisely the single reason to take those cannonfodder *cough* ...erm, peasants with you on a family trip to the evil swaps of die horrible?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:36 pm »

I'd be interested in the effects of taking a Runesmith'd character with maxed attributes into a mist that causes something like total body necrosis and seeing if they can survive it.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:13 pm »

There's a bigger issue with trying to intentionally husk a vampire adventurer: aren't vampires immune to that sort of thing?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 08:00:51 pm »

There's a bigger issue with trying to intentionally husk a vampire adventurer: aren't vampires immune to that sort of thing?

Yup.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:03:04 pm »

You don't stand erect, you won't get no respect.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »

You don't stand erect, you won't get no respect.

Legendary biter > Respect
Pages: [1] 2