Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: dwarves see the future!  (Read 5536 times)

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves see the future!
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:06 am »

I just got an artifact rock salt armor stand, named "Ker Bim", The Eye of Slings. So far so good. I wanted to check it's description and reread the one from the former artifact, a toy axe. Then it struck me:

What's the chance of just another rock salt armor stand with that name?

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves see the future!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:02:26 am »

...?!

Really?!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:34 am »

Ok, let me get this straight. Moody dwarf 1 made toy axe with armor stand engraved. Moody dwarf 2 made armor stand that was on the toy.

If this is the case...well...inspiration? Maybe Md2 played with the axe when he was a little boy?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:01:17 am »

Idk if the description was there from the beginning, but why would it change?

McGyver, you made honor to your name ;)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:01:44 am »

maybe the uh ... image of the armor stand appeared after its creation? like ... magically?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Archek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:24:17 am »

Confirmed. That is, on my artifact green glass chain is an image of Shockcombined the Skewer of Condederacies the native gold scepter.
Which is an artifact gold scepter made afterwards (100% sure).

Now the question is indeed: was this image already on my green glass chain when Shockcombined was only a conception in the head of my craftsdwarf?

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:41 am »

Maybe the artifacts are randomly generated and assigned to dwarves when you start a fortress, so that when they have a mood they already "know" what will they do? And maybe there is a bug that uses this information?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:45:15 am »

Idk if the description was there from the beginning, but why would it change?

McGyver, you made honor to your name ;)
Sometimes I just hate it when I'm right.

Anyway, my guess is that the game generates x number of artifacts to be engraved, then a moody dwarf makes the artifacts that were engraved and didn't exist already.

In any case, this is awesome! According to the wiki, artifacts are the history, desires and fears of a dwarf made into art. Like I said, the dwarf played with the toy that had an armor stand engraved, then proceeded to make it 'cos to him it was pretty neat.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:46:46 am »

To confirm this, I want to see someone with an artifact that shows an image of an artifact that hasn't been made yet, and then have that as yet unmade artifact get made.

Alternately, someone could show an artifact whose description changes when another artifact is made.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:47:09 am »

You can easily change the material by forbiding stocked materials, and change the type by savescumming  (unless dwarf likes a certain type).
Either a bug or just bs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:41 am »

No one is debating the materials here.  We're debating the art modifier which seems to be an image of an item made after the artifact.

Now an idea: Perhaps this explains "missing" decorations?  I had a dwarf go grab some wood, stone, and gems, and make a bed (for instance), and it was a wooden bed with gem decorations.  Perhaps if my fort had survived, then later an image of an artifact in stone would have appeared?  Just for example, I can't remember the exact materials, but I know I've seen them otherwise not include materials that were hauled.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:27 am »

Maybe the artifacts are randomly generated and assigned to dwarves when you start a fortress, so that when they have a mood they already "know" what will they do?
Nah. I've savescummed to get better items before.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:00 am »

I really can't tell how many materials he hauled for the artifact. But what would superfluous materials do? what would they be "used" on?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:51 am »

need Legends screenshots to confirm this
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 12:56:20 pm »

which part of the legends?
This is the artifacts-Page
Pages: [1] 2 3