Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mage mod idea - Is this possible?  (Read 1931 times)

Snow Gibbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mage mod idea - Is this possible?
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:12 am »

Hello forumites! Long time DF player, modder and lurker here.

First off I'd like to thank the others here who have done some interaction modding before me, giving me some templates to work off.

Here's a modest proposal: I wish to make a mod that includes a few fields of magic as secret interactions, like necromancy works now. When a person reads a book and learns a magic field, they will be able to cast a basic spell. To simulate them practicing and doing further study, after a few years a second stage will be reached, and will be able to cast a second spell as well. Here's my Fire Mage "Tech Tree" as an example:

Mage Level
  • Learned when secret discovered
  • Able to cast Fireball
Acolyte Level
  • Learned after a few years (the exact amount is to be decided)
  • Able to cast Fire Jet
Wizard Level
  • Learned after a few more years
  • Able to inject a burning poison as a melee attack
  • Able to cast Fireball twice
  • Gains higher heat resistance

Ascendant Level
  • Learned after a lot of years; only the strongest and luckiest in Worldgen will get here
  • Permanently turned into a Fire Ascendant, a tall humanoid creature enveloped with flames
  • Completely immune to heat and can swim through magma
  • Will burn anything it touches
  • Able to cast Sunburst
  • Able to cast Fire Jet twice
  • Becomes a Megabeast?

Anyone who wishes to point out any impossibilities may do so now. If not, let's proceed with the questions, with the obvious first:

1. I have noticed that CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION has a Start value, yet no examples I have seen have one other than 0. I'm assuming I can set this value to whatever to make the ability kick in after a certain amount of time? How long would a whole game year be? Also, can they have an end?

2. Can I define multiple different Syndromes in a single Interaction?

3. Above I made Wizard level mages have an inject attack and higher heat resistance. Can I make these possible without having to make them transform into a different creature?

3. Through an Interaction can the AI create an object like a weapon?

4. Is there a way to make a web that burns or explodes violently?

There may be more questions to come so please be patient with me!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mage mod idea - Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:26 am »

1. Yes, the START:#'s number is how many time units after the creature becomes afflicted that the effect actually begins. The wiki claims there's 1200 time units in a day in fort mode (86400 in adventure) and 403200 (29030400) in a year. It should be possible to have interactions' effects end automatically; it should just be a matter of adding a :END:another number in the effect's timer line between the START:number and end bracket.

2. I believe so, yes.

3. Maybe. I don't think it would be possible to alter their HEATDAM_POINT through interactions, but you could certainly try adding the FIREIMMUNE token, and in the later levels FIREIMMUNE_SUPER.

3 mk. II. I doubt it.

4. You could make the web have a high FIXED_TEMP. That would basically make it be constantly aflame.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:35:40 am »

1. I'm not really sure. Tried fiddling with that weeks back and to no avail, never got the delayed learned interaction effect I was aiming for. You can, however, give an interaction a duration, so a creature will forget it after a set amount of time.

2. Somebody here put two syndrome definitions in one material to allow genderswapping. I assume this can be done.

3. Not sure, no comment.

4. No, unless that involves polymorphing into a creature with a bodypart weapon of some kind. You have to be creative in this, if you want something like items, but creating actual items, no it isn't possible.

5. Back in DF2010, I managed to make webs that combusted upon being sprayed on the floor. Some webs didn't burn though. I used the boiling rock method to do this, but I'm not sure if it works now.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:05 am »

Is this designed for adventure mode, or fortress mode ? If it is for Fortress Mode I might be able to help, quite a lot. I just made 6 creatures with delayed effects.

Btw, really nice idea. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

demonicplaydoh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:27 am »

FIREIMMUNE and FIREIMMUNE_SUPER don't work when added by a syndrome. Your best bet is transforming it into a custom creature if you want fire immunity

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:37 am »

Yeah. For more info of which tags work and which tags don't, check the game's changelogs for a list.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:12:48 am »

A suggestions: Add the first phases and interactions with syndromes, and reserve the transformation for the highest level. Sadly you can only transform a creature once, and cant overlay multiple transformations on top of each other. The first transformation has to be stopped, before a second one can start.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:36 pm »

Ignoring the actual questions, I have to say that yes this is entirely possible, and I'm already working on a mod that I posted in the community spellbook. It takes more dedication than college would permit, though :\

For the questions;

1) 500000 time units is roughly 1 year. Very roughly. And ye, a syndrome CAN lie dormant that long. Then suddenly spring forth and bite the victim on the ass with a necrosis effect :D

2) Yes, it should be possible. You can use the interaction targets to decide who you want to be affected by each syndrome.

3a) As stated previously, it will be extremely tricky.

3b) You can't create objects directly I think. You can use reactions, though. It IS possible to create a werecreature that lays eggs of a certain item type still, but I'm not sure if laying eggs is possible for adventurers...

4) Yes, and it works gloriously! :D ...Well, the caster would still be hit with his own exploding webs, but other than that it will work. Use a material breath attack that creates web spray of a given material that instantly destabilizes into a gaseous, extremely hot form.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »

I feel there is a better way to do this than most people are indicating.

As most people know, you can have syndromes apply syndromes. This is an established and known fact.

The Syndrome does not have to be itself. Additionally, scheduled delays on effects are already known to exist for werewolves.

You should be able to create a tech tree based upon syndrome scheduling. Using.
[IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY] replacing weekly with yearly or    [CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0], replacing moon phase with something.

Not sure of periodic works, but I feel these tags are the keys to unlocking how to do this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »

You can make those periodics yourself, choosing any time you want. 33600 time units is one month btw

Snow Gibbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 01:08:18 am »

Thanks for the replies people. Unfortunately the rest of the week is pretty stacked up for me so I got nothing until the weekend. Stay tuned, if you care!

@Meph: This is not really biased towards either Dwarf mode or Adventure mode. It is designed to create a little variation during play instead of the mages all being super powerful fire slingers or all being worthless poop tossers, without having to make a separate civilization. The actual secrets are not designed to be used by the adventurer themselves as you'd have to pause your adventuring and build a fort for the next 10 years in order for your adventurer to be interesting as he ages.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:54:56 am by Snow Gibbon »

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:49 am »

For some reason, when I was testing CE_PAIN, CE_BLEEDING, CE_UNCONSCIOUSNESS and CE_NECROSIS, in adventure mode the syndromes came back after fast travel, always. I'm not sure if that was fixed (this was in 34.02), but it definitely limited me in my options a bit. If anyone has a fix for this, I'd love to know it.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:55:32 am »

Thanks for the replies people. Unfortunately the rest of the week is pretty stacked up for me so I got nothing until the weekend. Stay tuned, if you care!

@Meph: This is not really biased towards either Dwarf mode or Adventure mode. It is designed to create a little variation during play instead of the mages all being super powerful fire slingers or all being worthless poop tossers, without having to make a separate civilization. The actual secrets are not designed to be used by the adventurer themselves as you'd have to pause your adventuring and build a fort for the next 10 years in order for your adventurer to be interesting as he ages.

Not necessarily: AFAIK if you are using time units they apply differently in adventure mode.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:10 pm »

Ah.. forgot about that. It is 72:1 in adventure mode. Thats why the werebeasts dont really work in fortress mode, they arrive, run towards your fortress, time is up, transform into weaponless human/whatever, and run away.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:57:30 pm »

If you did want to do a "sword" spell, what you could do is make a new creature in the raws (or a caste of your race) that has different body tags, where he has a "sword" body part attached at the hand, and the ability to do a new attack with the sword that's as damaging as an iron sword or so.

You could even set the material of the new body part to be made of iron.

Then just cast a transformation spell that turns you into that new creature or caste.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:07:11 pm by Thelogman »
Pages: [1] 2