Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thirsty vampires????  (Read 3159 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Thirsty vampires????
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:33:20 pm »

So, I got three unusual migrants.  A jeweler, a child, and a farmer.  Now, the world history and site numbers are both low, so using their former sites is ineffective for scoping vamps.  And they did arrive as a married couple in the case of the jeweler and farmer, tho the child is peculiarly alone.  They're all three the same wave.

Now, I have only two things that made me suspect them of vampirism-  Firstly, their names don't sync with Dwarf Therapist, although two are close (one very close in english but very different in dwarven).
The second is that they *seem* to take damage in the sunlight.  That clinched it for me-  into the vampire jail they went.

....and all three got hungry, thirsty, and sleepy.  Which vampires to my knowledge do not do.

....what now?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Thirsty vampires????
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »

Define "damage from sunlight".

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:02 pm »

All their bodyparts are turning either yellow or tan (in the case of eyelids and cheek and nose).  They heal quickly when inside, but these specific three dwarves turn yellow/tan when in the sunlight for any length of time more than a dwarfday.  It doesn't seem to worsen, tho.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:43 pm »

IIRC DF vampires don't take damage from sunlight, and if they're getting thirsty, hungry and tired, then they aren't vampires. Do you have some sort of evil rain in a corner of your map or something?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:15:23 am »

Nope.  And they don't have any wierd jewelry (or any for that matter).

I really do NOT understand this.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:06 am »

I had one who showed up who went all yellow everywhere injury wise.  His first name matched up in Therapist, but his last name didn't.

Best I can tell, after three years, this guy is just a dwarf.  Maybe he got a sun-burn.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:44 am »

The beautiful thing about adding vampires to the game is that it creates genuine paranoia in the players. Toady is a god among men.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:00:20 am »

The beautiful thing about adding vampires to the game is that it creates genuine paranoia in the players. Toady is a god among men.

It's some sort of hilarious paradox when players willingly sacrifice dwarfs for the lulz, but are paranoid the little mans might kill each other.
'No, that's my cannon fodder you killstealer!'
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:45 am »

Are you in a scorching biome or something? or a freezing one, I guess? I think extremes of temperature can be damaging to inappropriately clothed dwarves.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:05:14 am »

As for fake names, some dwarves are just members of witness protection program, someone had reported that already.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:08:41 am »

So your dwarf got tan from the sun?

now make a gym and a laundrymat

Jersey Fortress baby!
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:24 am »

IIRC DF vampires don't take damage from sunlight, and if they're getting thirsty, hungry and tired, then they aren't vampires. Do you have some sort of evil rain in a corner of your map or something?

I thought this just varied... so that some vamps do, but many don't?
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:02:17 am »

I thought this just varied... so that some vamps do, but many don't?
As of now, all vampires are like one, you can find unpacked world raws in modding section somewhere, all the 50 vampcurses there were identical, so unless Toady decided to hide some fun properties into hist figures themselves, they're only as different as any pair of dwarves.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:18 am »

it's not temperatures, everything is quite mild year-round here.  And plus, it should be harming other dwarves, especially the naked ones!

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:01:24 am »

I've had similiar scarred dwarves arriving to my fortress, but they have been completely normal otherwise. I suspect them having encountered some kind of titan syndromes in the past, although I haven't checked the legends mode for that.
Pages: [1] 2