Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games whare you can be, or are, a Necromancer  (Read 20273 times)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games whare you can be, or are, a Necromancer
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

Being a necromancer in games has always interested me ever since I first played one in Diablo 2. So I was hoping that the great members of Bay12 could help me out in this endeavor.  I've looked and looked, finding only a few games where you can raise the dead. Any genre of game is welcome, as long as it contains the raising of the dead. 
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games whare you can be, or are, a Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:07:20 pm »

Master of Magic, an old Civ-style strategy where you can be a death mage, although I've never found the undead summons to be particularly useful past the early game.

Age of Wonders I, II, and Shadow Magic are strategy games with an undead race (and death magic). The cities behave like cities of the living, unfortunately, but you can raze everyone else's cities and then magically populate them with undead.

Dominions 3 is a strategy game that lets you play as undead and cleanse the land of the living, I believe. I only played the demo of the first one (Which also has a necromancer race, and IIRC is the only one in the series who's demo lets you play as this race), so I'm not sure.

Overlord sorta counts if you really squint. You run around as an adventuring overlord, and turn the life force of those you kill into imps.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:23:28 pm »

In one of the modmods for Fall From Heaven 2 (I think it's Orbis) You can play as Lord D'Tesh, who is a lich. You enslave your enemies and turn everything into wasteland.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »

Incursion, Tales of Maj'Eyal (Though the class has to be unlocked), Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, ADoM. There's a few more roguelikes with necromancer as an option, but I can't recall names right at the moment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:33:43 pm »

Obviously Dwarf Fortress is now.  Dominions 3 does indeed have necromancy, although the race Nirur Torir is probably thinking of is less necromancers and more pure undead.  Your sphere of influence is naturally deleterious to life (Made worse by extremely negative scales, which you can have since undead don't need to use the land) and dead people, who pile up quickly, spontaneously come to life.

They're still rad.
Shoes...

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

the disciples 3 expansion features an undead horde campaign.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:25 pm »

Lords of Magic:SE, but you have to win the game once to play as them
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:18:05 pm »

Warcraft 3?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:56 am »

I have to put in my vote for Dominions 3 too. When playing the right race, it really nails the core aspects of being a necromancer. Even MA Ermor, you can still be plenty necromance-y even if your dominion isn't killing people or automatically raising the dead.

And that's before you even get to all the OTHER magic that you'd typically expect a Necromancer to have.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:33 am »

I have to put in my vote for Dominions 3 too. When playing the right race, it really nails the core aspects of being a necromancer. Even MA Ermor, you can still be plenty necromance-y even if your dominion isn't killing people or automatically raising the dead.

And that's before you even get to all the OTHER magic that you'd typically expect a Necromancer to have.

I agree totally.  Plus, you can always play as your Pretender being the nearly-sole Necromancer of your race.  People of Man, ruled by a Necromancer!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:07:20 am »

Blasphemous Revenants mod for Morrowind lets you be a Necromancer
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=4098

This mod exists for Oblivion:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.detail&id=917
I made it years ago and I hate it. I have ignored it. It's buggy. The book texture somehow didn't get included in the zip and I didn't notice. That texture is long gone, so the book can not be found and has to be purchased, and vanishes if you try and drop it. This mod needs to vanish off of the internet and it has over 9/10 in ratings. What is this blarghlyflarghymadness? I vaguely remember giving permission for some people to revise work with modify it etc, and if so maybe one of them is floating around, maybe someone salvaged it and made it good, I don't know.

Thanks for drudging up this horrible memory of my shame :(

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:05 am »

For a lighter offering, Necronator is fairly fun - you're a necromancer sending your army of undead to destroy the world, land by land.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:36:40 am »

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (and I'd imagine any HOMM instalment before/afterwards) allows you to control a heavily necro themed faction. Good game to boot.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:05 am »

Dom3 as many say, may offer the most fun for a undead empire shenanigans  "Oh let me just accelerate the flow of time and let countless die every month like a dozen years would have passed and then suck there souls into my well of suffering that prodces magic gems which I can turn into the eater of the death who runs though provinces and grows stronger and stronger with every corpse it consumes until it breaks free of even my control and I'll have my elite guard of baneswords deal with it.jpg"