Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vampire Rework?

Make all vampiric effects only activate once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 26 (29.5%)
Make any special abilities only activate once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 25 (28.4%)
Make any physical changes only take place once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 7 (8%)
Make the transformation skill only available after sucking blood.
- 11 (12.5%)
Keep everything the same.
- 19 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: <<Fear The Night!>> v1.4.1 [For 34.11]  (Read 125694 times)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
Re: <<Fear The Night!>> v1.0 *Better Vamipres, Werebeasts and Necromancers!*
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2012, 02:26:59 pm »

THANK YOU

This makes adventure mode 100x more fun. I'm about to take on an ancient vampire with my 3 demon buddies I found all chilling out in the same hamlet.

Any plans to do something with custom night trolls and/or bogeymen? A bit more variety in bokeymons, different abilities requiring different strategies from the player, could be an answer to the common 'bokeymons are OP/GAY' complaint. The new 'hide' interaction might be interesting.
Maybe More Mummies?
I'm working on a Vampire Lord right now, that's like a semimegabeast version of the ancient vampire. Well, I will be, after I finish some C++ work, I'm way behind in that class. Bogeymen... maybe. Mummies, possibly. Bogeymen would be more likely, because you actually encounter them frequently. Though I also want to see if I can make some creatures that teach the secrets of death/immortality/summoning/fire to people.

Oh, and some advice. That ancient vampire should be able to move about 6 or 7 times faster than your base move speed, so let the demons go first. Then disable his arms and make him bite you, then you'll be just as powerful as your friends.

EDIT: Waaaaaaiit. THREE DEMONS? In the SAME HAMLET? Holy crap dude, you got lucky there.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:39:36 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2012, 02:49:55 pm »

Thats good to hear. I will integrate it then, and leave the worldgen as it is. This way your creations will lurk around, but be quite a rare find, that keeps people on edge :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2012, 02:52:46 pm »

Thats good to hear. I will integrate it then, and leave the worldgen as it is. This way your creations will lurk around, but be quite a rare find, that keeps people on edge :)

Should be fun, I'll try it out later. After I'm done with the Vampire Lord(s) (There need to be 3, one for each type of lesser vampire, will be interesting)
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »

Just had a vampire lord Deity try to murder me. Not sure why he freaked out when I walked in, but this is good. They can talk and assume positions of power perfectly.

EDIT: well, it seems they're working properly now, they don't just murder everything (stupid OPPOSED_TO_LIFE). I might try the fiends next, though I foresee problems with the fiend of fire and the lich fiend, what with them having to be able to transform and all.

EDIT2: Got it, everything a fiend touches will have the secret raped forcibly into its mind. 40k style.

EDIT3: Fiends are now done, Damned Lich fiend took forever to balance. I ended up making it out of "VASCULARMETAL" to actually make it vulnerable to attacks. Fiends are also very small, though they are quite powerful. The inferno fiend especially so, it's 12000 units large, but it can knock a human flying about 5 tiles. You guys will have fun with these, all that's left is to test them in worldgen.

EDIT4: Herp a Derp, I made some grammar errors in v1.0, those'll be fixed up for 1.1
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:04:09 am by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
Re: <<Fear The Night!>> v1.1 *Better Vamipres, Werebeasts and Necromancers!*
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2012, 07:40:31 pm »

Bump for V1.1, 7 new creatures added, and a couple grammar errors fixed. Inferno fiends are very fun by the way, good luck with those.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:55 pm »

Ok, I found something that might fox the "drink blood to become vampire not working" bug, but you guys may not like it. Every time I re-install DF, it fixes that bug and the drinking blood starts working again. I'm still not sure of the exact cause, but this is a fix.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »

Oh Gods, Fiends are just as I thought they would turn out to be. All fear the Lich Fiend!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:29:47 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:40 pm »

Oh Gods, Fiends are just as I thought they would turn out to be. All fear the Lich Fiend!
ALL FEAR THE INFERNO FIEND! CHARRED FLESH FOR THE FIRE GOD!
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

this mod would be more interesting if it was less polarized/better balanced. It isn't difficult to create ridiculous abilities and creatures with raws then shoehorn them into the game.. the mods that become mainstream are the ones that add opponents that are interesting to fight WITHOUT overthrowing the existing balance. As is, once the player gets hold of most the abilities on offer here the game becomes silly. If you were to release an alternative, more moderate version of this (less nightcreature spam in worldgen, night creatures that are resistant to non-silver weapons rather than immune, vampires etc that are dangerous with being ridiculous) then maybe you would receive more interest.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »

this mod would be more interesting if it was less polarized/better balanced. It isn't difficult to create ridiculous abilities and creatures with raws then shoehorn them into the game.. the mods that become mainstream are the ones that add opponents that are interesting to fight WITHOUT overthrowing the existing balance. As is, once the player gets hold of most the abilities on offer here the game becomes silly. If you were to release an alternative, more moderate version of this (less nightcreature spam in worldgen, night creatures that are resistant to non-silver weapons rather than immune, vampires etc that are dangerous with being ridiculous) then maybe you would receive more interest.
Fair enough criticism, though I would like to point out that I did spend a large amount of time balancing this mod, and it is balanced, though perhaps not in the way you expected. Lesser and master vampires are not intended to be enemies that one fights alone. With 3 people, you can usually win against a lesser vampire, assuming you have decent skills. With 8 to ten, you have a chance against a master. Werebeasts can be weak to all 4 human weapons-grade materials, depending on their type. Also, acquiring all powers, or even most of them, is impossible. You can have one curse, and in the next version, one secret (though currently you can get them all). The actual chances of you becoming, say, a master vampire infernomancer, is very slim.

Also, regarding vulnerabilities, I made the beasts immune for a reason, and that readon is that in vanilla the resistances are a joke. In my mod, if you try to use iron against a werewolf, you're going to lose.

EDIT: Finally home, can finish post now.

The night creature spam in worldgen is a vanilla issue, which you will encounter on most worlds with werebeasts. It's due in part to them being pretty hard to kill, and the fact that every single one can produce more of itself. Therefore the population exponentially increases. Minor vampires were created to thin out the already existing and very powerful vampire types, to provide easier opponents for starting characters. Also, existing balance? XD yeah okay. Immortal titans made of iron with no blood or thought organs is balanced. I made sure that every single on of my creatures was beatable, and I will continue to do so, because I really hate it when I have to cause a cave-in to kill something.

And honestly, more interest? Man, I made this for fun, and to fix something I thought was wrong with the game. You're free to change the mod to be more like what you want if you please, I can't stop you. I often edit people's mods if I find a part I don't like, though releasing them would be plagiarism.

Thanks for the criticism though, I'll take it into account in future releases.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:59:03 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:57 pm »

Seems that the next update on my mod will take quite a while. I made a list of all creatures missing sprites, quite a long one. You werebeasts and vampires are among them, so naturally I would like to create sprites for them as well. Although I have no idae how to draw a were-scorpion with just 16*16 tiles, I will try. I hope I can offer you a little addon in the end, with all the sprites you need for your mod. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »

Seems that the next update on my mod will take quite a while. I made a list of all creatures missing sprites, quite a long one. You werebeasts and vampires are among them, so naturally I would like to create sprites for them as well. Although I have no idae how to draw a were-scorpion with just 16*16 tiles, I will try. I hope I can offer you a little addon in the end, with all the sprites you need for your mod. :)
Hey, thanks. I might take a crack at making a few 16X16 sprites in the style of Masterwork. I'm no artist, but I've made a few games that used 8X8 and 16X16 sprites, so I might as well. The new bogeymen are coming along nicely, I plan to have about 20 types, all based on things I used to have nightmares about as a child.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2012, 02:51:40 am »

What's the difference betewwn minor vampires and lesser vamps? Are minor vamps those vampire lords you were talking about?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2012, 04:23:46 am »

So can you become one of those subsets of necromancer. Such as, you read a book and you get endowed with that secret power?

Mods looks awesome and if my question is correct, I'm downloading immediately.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2012, 01:51:09 pm »

So can you become one of those subsets of necromancer. Such as, you read a book and you get endowed with that secret power?

Mods looks awesome and if my question is correct, I'm downloading immediately.
Yes, though currently you can become all of them if you're lucky enough, but I'm limiting that in 1.2, because it gets a bit ridiculous when a Dark Sorcerer Infernomancer Summoner Werebear adventurer tries to have even the slightest semblance of a fair fight.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25