Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My trees surive magma and fires.  (Read 736 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
My trees surive magma and fires.
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

Hi,

I just accidentaly flooded a part of the map in magma, and behold, all the trees just stand in a pool of molten rock and just dont care. Some part of the map was set on fire, and the trees ignore this as well.

Is this normal ? And if yes, how could I make them burn ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My trees surive magma and fires.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »

This is normal. Magma only heats squares adjacent to itself to a fairly warm, but easily survivable, temperature. This is not enough to ignite wood, and even if it was trees might not ignite. I don't remember if trees are counted as being made of wood or if they're mostly indestructible like walls.

AFAIK there's no way to make them burn aside from memory hacking. Getting magma on the same tile as the tree might do it, but that would take memory hacking anyway, so yeah.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »

Forest fires are still a distant dream.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »

Couldnt I reduce the ignition point of wood to a fairly low number, just above the highest temperature reachable by normal weather ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:11 pm »

Couldnt I reduce the ignition point of wood to a fairly low number, just above the highest temperature reachable by normal weather ?
Assuming trees are made of wood, yes. Which they're not; I just tested it by using DFHack to put magma in the same tile as every tree and shrub on the map, and not a one of them was destroyed. If being in the same tile as magma is insufficient to set them alight or destroy them, nothing you do will be enough.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »

So are trees basically terrain that gets removed with an axe instead of a pick and can spawn randomly?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

So are trees basically terrain that gets removed with an axe instead of a pick and can spawn randomly?
Pretty much, yeah. They can be ignited in adventure mode and with DFHack, but seemingly not in fort mode.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:18 am »

Ok, thanks guys... I have a lot of fire related stuff in my mod, and got a report that trees always survive. Thought I modded them fireproof by a weird chance. Seems that it is more or less supposed to be like that,  even if I'd like to change it if I could.

Questions answered.