Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most epic necromancer invasion ever.  (Read 4061 times)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most epic necromancer invasion ever.
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:19:37 pm »

So today I got sick of embarking on evil biomes and genned up a world with lots of good areas and max number of werebeast curses, vampire curses, and necromancer secrets. I picked an embark smack dab between 3 dark fortresses and two necromancer towers. Got my first necromancer invasion. A single elf corpse, no mancers. Why was it so small, and where the hell was the necromancer? Btw I didn't even bother sending in my military. He wandered through my gates and was killed by a donkey. Stupid elves.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Most epic necromancer invasion ever.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:29 pm »

...are you sure it was a zombie?  Sounds like a regular elf to me.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »

Yep. Elf corpse. Got a "the dead rise up" or whatever announcement.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »

a friend of mine had this happen in her first fort ever. right after her first migrant wave hit. she had 15 dwarves and it was the first summer. then "the dead walk" message. i told her she was about to learn just how fun losing is, since she'd be totally screwed there...unit screen showed one dwarf zombie. a yak killed it

however, we found out there was a necromancer with it. the artifacts list showed a single book, penned by a human necromancer. and then the bones in the stockpile kept getting reanimated. so she *did* lose the fort to that mini seige...once a dead yak and dead camel were raised and started pounding hooves into every skull they saw...

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:16:08 pm »

Could have been just a raised corpse from the last time you had a... "meeting" with the elves.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »

*Cue necromancer comes out of hiding and pwns your everything*
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:18 pm »

*Cue necromancer comes out of hiding and pwns your everything*
Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »

I probably could have survived up to six zombies attacking my last fort (note the past tense).  My militia commander was able to take down three, and another recruit got either one or two more.  The remainder of the thirty two (32) zombies, however, walked all over the other four recruits and the rest of my 23-ish dwarves (6 militia, 5 to 10 children, the rest civilians).  This was just after the first elven caravan arrived (and was in the depot), and at right about the same time I had cued up my first iron weapon orders.  I believe two of the six iron spears were made, and none of my dwarves had time to go get them.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:40:41 pm »

If they're of the right race, necromancers can sneak. Have fun.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 01:41:59 am »

Well I'm just getting the game up and running again, so well see :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:02:56 pm »

I think you're a bit beaten by the guy with the two necromancers trying to kill each other with undead hordes :P

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:39:26 pm »

The Worst is the sneaking Necromancers... Had 3 at once and one is still around raising stuff. Can't find the bugger for the life of me.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »

My first undead was a rather unimpressive zombie goblin. Just recently, two Necromancers showed up near the refuse pile I setup to identify things in need of dumping (it's right next to a dumping hole that goes straight down into the magma sea.) Luckily, the skeleton of the horse I just had butchered had already been dumped. They raised up a bunch of horse hairs and a stack of wool. These minions were easily dispatched and dumped into the convenient nearby hole to hell. Meanwhile, the hair-raisers got caught in cage traps and are now off in a far corner of the fort until I decide how to use them.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:51 am »

Wait, can post-butchery bones be raised? I thought that they were reduced to a pile of bones and could no more be raised than, say, the steaks.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:07:19 am »

Anything with a [GRASP] or [HEAD] can be raised - apparently including items that were previously attached to such areas, like "head hair".  Bones cannot be raised post-butchering.
Pages: [1] 2