Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How stuffed am I?  (Read 5510 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How stuffed am I?
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:36 pm »

Seriously. A FB came along with deadly blood and, at this very moment, another one has just come along.

Anyway, this FB came along with deadly blood. I contained him very well and only one person got affected. Now half my fort are falling over. Did his blood spread via this magical blood teleport stuff? Is there anyway to undo feint/drowsy/rotting people?

My god this was such a good fort and I think this one fool's ruined it by bleeding everywhere.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How stuffed am I?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:12:57 pm »

Seriously. A FB came along with deadly blood and, at this very moment, another one has just come along.

Anyway, this FB came along with deadly blood. I contained him very well and only one person got affected. Now half my fort are falling over. Did his blood spread via this magical blood teleport stuff? Is there anyway to undo feint/drowsy/rotting people?

My god this was such a good fort and I think this one fool's ruined it by bleeding everywhere.
Dwarves which are infected with deadly blood will begin bleeding and the blood dropped on the ground is contagious... infecting more and more dwarves.  The infected are most likely going to die... they are walking dead because the game currently doesn't have any immune system for dwarves or even any *cures* for diseases/infections.  The infected are walking dead.
Your only hope for salvation is to quarantine your healthy unaffected survivors, which will then need to release water all thru your hallways/rooms to clean the blood on the floors, the infected will need to make peace with their gods and prepare for death... even your legendary XXXXXXX. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »

If you don't mind cheating much you can simply run dfHack's clean map command every 30 seconds or so until all of the infected dwarves are dead.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:01 pm »

Dwarves which are infected with deadly blood will begin bleeding and the blood dropped on the ground is contagious... infecting more and more dwarves.  The infected are most likely going to die... they are walking dead because the game currently doesn't have any immune system for dwarves or even any *cures* for diseases/infections.  The infected are walking dead.
Your only hope for salvation is to quarantine your healthy unaffected survivors, which will then need to release water all thru your hallways/rooms to clean the blood on the floors, the infected will need to make peace with their gods and prepare for death... even your legendary XXXXXXX. 
Or spread the blood even further.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:30 pm »

Update: What a lovely sight. Mass enabling surgery on all my haulers and watching them all dash off to the hospital to cut up the children. I think I have this rot business under control.

Also the shoes seem to be helping - only children and some of the older dwarves are affected. None of this quarantine business, a knife will solve it no problem. Besides, plenty more children where they came from.

I now fully appreciate why they bumrush every +pig tail sock+ when someone dies. That stuff matters.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »

Oh god scratch that. The shoes, they do nothing!

I'm going to keep playing and pretend nothing's happened. I can always reclaim. Be interesting to see who survives.

Edit: I've pulled my dwarves back to the fallback fort. I build it for these emergencies so why not use it? It's got all my important people in it. Once the plebs drag over the food I'm good to go.

Edit 2: The deed is done. The fort is quarantined. There's a ton of soap and a atom smas decontamination unit in the fallback fort and all my good dudes. Now to see who survives what's left of the old fort.

Will the supplies last out....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:48:00 pm by Dorfus »

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:10 pm »

I've had some issues where pets will spread these sort of nasty substances. Not a whole lot can be done about that...unless you have some kitty booties.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:01 pm »

No entrance washing station? A trench with 3/7 water in your cavern entrance and a way to flush it out can save lives.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »

No, no washing station. First time playing in a fairly long time and it didn't occur to me. Never had a syndrome-bearing FB before.

Also, will dwarves even path through 3/7?

As it stands it looks like my quarantine has been successfull but I'm not sure they'll survive the tantrum spiral. On reflection, including my elite hammer and marks dorfs in the fallback fort may not prove to be so sensible after all.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:19 am »

Also, will dwarves even path through 3/7?
Yep, they'll quite happily walk through anything up to 4/7. 5/7 stops them pathing through it, they'll moan about dangerous terrain and if they fall in the drink then they need to swim or they'll drown.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:37:36 am »

Dwarves will not path through 4/7 or deeper. Also, the so-called "dwarven bathtub" is useless unless everybody is wearing shoes, since anything barefoot that walks through it will still get infected by everything inside it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:08 am »

Also, according to the wiki, dwarves won't drown in anything less than 7/7 water, so depths from 4/7 to 6/7 are good for training swimming, which involves locking dwarves in a room and filling it to between 4/7 and 6/7.

I've seen some designs for dwarven bathtubs that have constantly moving water (one 3/7 tile and two 2/7 in a width-three tub), and I remember it being suggested that that would destroy contaminants (or possibly just move them out of the tub and onto the walls, where dwarves won't touch them).  Never got around to testing it out myself.

May not be fast enough in a high traffic area, but there might still be applications where it would provide more benefit than problems for a shoeless fortress, assuming it works.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

trench with 3/7 water is effective.  A dwarf stepping into it will shed all contaminants into the first tile of water he touches.  However, until that tile is cleaned via DFHack or a dwarf, any dwarf that steps into that tile of contaminated 3/7 water will for a single frame, be covered head to toe in that contaminant.  After stepping out they will be completely clean again.  Therefore it is advisable to closely monitor these trenches when there are possible dangerous contaminants about.  Its also a good idea to make them at least 2 tiles wide and perhaps even put 2 in parallel with lockable doors, and make use of restricted traffic zones.

I discovered this (DF2010) when a guy that stepped into forgotten beast ichor bled all the way to the hospital, when he went through a water-trench he was cleaned, leaving the ichor there.  Subsequently 30 dwarves and animals stepped into the trench, were simultaneously cleaned, and began bleeding everywhere and were struck with blindness, filling up my hospital.  Only the original patient was permanently maimed by the syndrome.  The other patients only experienced temporary symptoms, but it gave me quite a scare.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:15:14 pm »

Apart from atom smashing the contaminants, a good magma rinse is probably the most reliable way to get rid of them. Just watch out what you rinse. So yes, magma will solve this as well.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »

Sounds like 28 weeks later.
So yes, magma will solve this as well.
Indeed.
Pages: [1] 2