Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Room  (Read 1541 times)

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie Room
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:32 pm »

In my latest fort I embarked near a Tower and had the pleasure of a few undead visits. (Luckily, I had built a wall with gate around my refuse pile) Anyways, I went a little crazy with the cages and had an animal stockpile full of creatures. Turns out I had caught 2 necromancers.

I immediately got an idea and set to work. Build a room for your necro to be pitted in. Have a window on one side so he can see into "the killing room". On the other side, put a locked door with a cage on the other side. (this lets you unlock the door and collect him).

Between the window and the killing room, make a bridge so you can obstruct the necro's view of the killing room (so he cannot raise the creature and creature parts in there from the dead). The Killing Room should have a window towards the necro and be covered by an atom smashing bridge, which makes cleanup easy. This room should have some fortification opening for your marksdwarves.

The Killing room, can be the bottom of a pitting shaft or a refuse pile to get dead things in there. Pit the necro, unobscure his view, station your marksdwarves and they will kill the undead indefinitely. My killing room is at the bottom of a 20z shaft. It's alot of fun to drop different animals and have them explode, and see what gets raised. Apparently, a kitten only has its tiny little head raised, over and over.

-miasma is a problem, so use a bridge for cleanup or do it outside
-each death counted, the marksdwarves are racking up tons of kills
-necromancers are not building destroyers so you can manipulate them with doors
-have not allowed any melee into the room yet, but it could work nicely

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Room
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:01:39 pm »

Can a necromancer raise the dead if they have a visual line of sight on the corpse, or do they need to be able to attack it, such as through fortifications?

If so, have the necromancer patrol around the top of the pit, just so he can see down into the pit. While you can't make him patrol, random wanderings will have the same effect over time, so all corners of the pit will be visible eventually. This means undead everywhere will be raised.

The necromancer can only raise things in the pit itself, so any zombies that escape can be quickly cut down through a combination of weapon traps and dwarven steel, and then the lifeless corpses can be chucked into the pit from above, where the necromancer can then raise the corpse yet again.

Try something like this on for size:
Code: [Select]

Z+1, pit necromancer into narrow walkway with fortifications overlooking the bottom of the pit
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X.................X
X.FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.X
X.F             F.X
X.F             F.X
X.F             F.X
X.F             F.X
X.F             F.X
X.F             F.X
X.FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.X
X.................X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Z, pit bottom, zoned corpse/refuse stockpile. Artifact grade armor stand or weapon rack in middle of pit zoned as barracks. Building destroyers cannot topple artifact grade armor stands or weapon racks. Assign squad(s) for training as you see fit.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X.................X
X.................X
X.................X
X.................XXXXX
X.......A.........D....  <==door and passageway to fort
X.................XXXXX
X.................X
X.................X
X.................X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Downside to this design is that markdwarves won't work, because they will kill the necromancer, but if you just adjust the how the fortifications are laid you, you could easily allow both the necromancer and marksdwarves to see into the pit without being able to see each other.

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:39:24 pm »

I can confirm that necromancers can raise the dead through both fortifications and windows. I would prefer windows because at one point someone exploded all the teeth out of the kitten head, and they got stuck in the fortifications.

I am considering using my other necro in the middle of the refuse pile. I was thinking of surrounding him in glass and putting bridges around him. I would reveal the refuse pile to him, them close him off. Then use marksdwarves to murder the mass of former relatives.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »

Why limit it to archer training? You could totally let the necro raise everything and then block his vision repeatedly so your soldiers don't get swarmed by infinite zombies.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:07:46 pm »

This is way better than any danger room I have come across thus far. kudos senior

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:56:12 pm »

Can a necromancer raise the dead if they have a visual line of sight on the corpse

LOS is all a necro needs to start raising corpses ;)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:02:56 pm »

Someone should point Girlinhat to this thread for recording in the Knowledge thread... genuinley original, dwarfy, useful and complicated, but most importantly more making use of the game mechanics rather than "exploiting" them as in a more standard danger room.
This is a blank sig.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »

Can a necromancer raise the dead if they have a visual line of sight on the corpse

LOS is all a necro needs to start raising corpses ;)

So that same design I drew earlier in ASCII would work fine, just swap out fortifications for windows. Even if the zombies are building destroyers, they still can't destroy the windows because they're higher up.

Alternatively, two sets of windows, with a drawbridge between the two rows of windows to block vision but not crush anything.