Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Severed bodyparts are too mobile  (Read 5018 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Severed bodyparts are too mobile
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:26:26 pm »

I was worried that the zombie bodyparts would get silly from the moment I heard about them, and I was right. Currently a severed head moves faster than a one-legged goblin, and I can't imagine how it should be moving at all. The idea of zombie parts is nice, but I think they shouldn't be capable of more than grasping or biting things that step on them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Severed bodyparts are too mobile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:27:42 pm »

>Rolling
>Floating
>Body hair locomotion

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »

Haven't you ever watched the Adams Family movie?

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »

Murray: "...and the forces of darkness will applaud me as I STRIDE through the gates of hell carrying your head on a pike!"
Guybrush: "Stride?"
Murray: "Alright then, ROLL! ROLL through the gates of hell..."

Also,

Murray: "Evil needs no arms!"

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:22 pm »

Currently a severed head moves faster than a one-legged goblin, and I can't imagine how it should be moving at all. The idea of zombie parts is nice, but I think they shouldn't be capable of more than grasping or biting things that step on them.

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »

What did I just see!??!?!?
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:19 am »

It's from the movie "The Thing" (the original, **not** the recent terrible remake). The antagonist is a shapeshifting alien that kills people and replaces them by copying their appearance. Also, if you chop it up, each piece continues living on its own - so it killed a guy, took on his appearance, psuedoguy's head got chopped off, head sprouts legs and eyestalks and continues its crusade against all things living.. look, just go rent the movie, it'll all make sense then.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:05 am »

Thanks for that.  I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway.

This is offered on the side bar of the High Octane Nighmare Fuel station.  (It's a trope, look it up if you don't plan on doing anything productive today.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »

It's from the movie "The Thing" (the original, **not** the recent terrible remake).

The remake wasn't terrible, but it wasn't the original either. They pretty much just took all the horror away and threw a heroine at it ;C

Hollywood doesn't know how to horror :(

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:40:11 pm »

Actually, i dont like horrors, but this film was a pleasure. Original one too, thou.
This day going to be perfect!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 07:56:49 pm »

iirc that's a bug; only things with the ability to grasp are supposed to be able to be reanimated.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:26 pm »

Grasp or bite tags. So, not a bug.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

I must agree with this. From one death the amount of body parts are a little crazy. My necropolis is filling up faster than i can dig it out, and i have coffins for so many parts for the same poor dwarf, and those parts are still coming back... It seems like after one death my fortress is screwed. I've only played on evil embarks since 2008, but i'm thinking i might have to give up, its getting frustrating. It just seems like a peasant head or left hand could be just stomped by any dwarf real easy like... I guess at least the fingers aren't coming back.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »

I think you're overlooking the aspect that zombies are easy to kill, and infinitely renewable. You just have to modify your fort designs and strategies to run without a meat industry, a military from the start, and keep your main fort far enough underground not to be bothered by the reanimated. The advantage of having lots of easily killable critters is that it trains up your military super-quick and then you've got loads of badass dwarves that can take down any invaders.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: [1] 2