Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kindly asking for help and tips.  (Read 1347 times)

Saladan0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kindly asking for help and tips.
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Ive been playing DF for a while now. Ive learned everything about this game so far from scratch and used the Wiki for stuff I havent figured out. So this does make me happy since ive learned as the game has grown, but that also means I may not know some things that would help me greatly. So Im kindly asking for any knowledge you may pass on to me.

Currently, I am working on a map called Silvertrail (Nice name I thought.) and I am on year 4. Here is an overview of the map.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2719-silvertrail

I have a small wall based defense system with marksdwarves patrolling the top of them. Feel free to ask any questions on the map.

Now the questions I have been wanting to ask for a while now.

If I have a dwarf patrolling on top of a wall, but to shoot outside and down a level he has to shoot from a fortification (As on the map) will he shoot through it?

Also, when making walls and floors to use up stone, I get irritated with the build type selection method, as in the list of goods to make the floor/wall out of is  listed by item distance, and not mass quantity. Is there anyway to change this? As it makes it so much easier to do b-C-w-enter b-C-w-+-enter, with the + being held down until the item I want is selected. Or, could I make it so A whole type of item doesnt appear on that list at all? (IE: I never use wood as building material for walls and floors, just stone. So avoiding to choose wood on the selection panel is a pain.)

Ill use this thread if any other questions come up, but those are the biggies.

Also, if you look through the map and suggest any ideas to improve it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kindly asking for help and tips.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

Fortifications exist to provide walls you can shoot through. Getting a shot through a fortification requires a skill check, which is harder the further away you are from the wall. But yes, as long as your marksdwarves can see their targets, they can shoot them.

As for building walls and floors, no, there's no better interface. We're hoping that Toady sees fit to fix that in the next release.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Saladan0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Funny, just after you replied I got invaded.

My walls worked PERFECTLY and the attackers were soon slaughtered by my marksdwarves patrolling the top.

However, they managed to get into my courtyard and I had to lock the doors. I have to see to building a lever to retract the main bridge.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Saladan0:
Also, when making walls and floors to use up stone, I get irritated with the build type selection method, as in the list of goods to make the floor/wall out of is  listed by item distance, and not mass quantity. Is there anyway to change this? As it makes it so much easier to do b-C-w-enter b-C-w-+-enter, with the + being held down until the item I want is selected. Or, could I make it so A whole type of item doesnt appear on that list at all? (IE: I never use wood as building material for walls and floors, just stone. So avoiding to choose wood on the selection panel is a pain.)
Thanks![/QB]

A trick I just learned is to designate a stockpile that only accepts the type of stone you want to build with in the shape of whatever it is you're building. Then when you go to make your walls that type of stone is always the closest and always on top of the list.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

fun trap facts: if goblins have two possible paths, and they see a bunch of budies die in one? they walk into the other and die even more on fresh traps (or could be pathing for crowded narrow hallways. but it works).

do get bridges to retract from pits, its vital for defense. lots of things go right through iron doors. a raising bridge can make a nice defensive wall for your trade depot.

a vital trick (for me at least) is to create chokepoints with walls and cliffs, and rope critters there to uncover ambushes. the closer to the map edge you are, the more vital it becomes. as an added bonus, those animals are 'bait', and the goblins will path toward them... and any traps you put there.

you can put a dump near your build area, and send your extra stone that way. you can also just excavate stone at location, for more distant walls. best technique for building, b C +/- to selection, enter 3 times (if the right stone is closest)and then arrow a space over, enter 3 more times. fairly fast until you get too close to a logging area. just hit q and scroll over, looking for non masonry to make sure after doing it fast.

another fun trick: figure out the path of retreating goblins. put more traps there! those cowards usually break and run before they all die.

Saladan0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

Ive updated again! Im currently at the beggining of spring in year 6.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2755-silvertrail

As you can see ive made alot of additions to my fortress.

First of all I took your advice and added a lever to the bridge entrance to my fort, and ive dug down about 4 levels and added upright spikes to the bottom of the floor (Fun!).

EDIT: Also, Ive added a jail which doesnt seem to be in use at the moment. Either this means my dwarves are well behaved, or my jailer is lazy. Probably the latter.

Ive been ambushed and invaded multiple times not from goblins, and each time my marksdwarves patrolling the walls completely dominate them through the fortifications which gives me a tingly feeling inside. Speaking of which, ive added floors above said walls so when it rains or snows, my military do not get bad thoughts. (last thing I need for my marksdwarves to go insane and trigger happy.... on my other dwarves. This has also helped to reduce my excess stone, and you can see some of the stone stockpiles are gone.

Ive also made standard additions which include more bedrooms, shops and food storage. As you can see at the southwest portion of my map, ive been smoothing everything down outside, because 1, it makes things pretty and smoother, and 2, its simply gives my dwarves something to do.

As always, suggestions, criticism, or any comment in particular would be extremely helpful.

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Saladan0 ]

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

Check if there are enough cages and chains in your jail. Also make sure that your jail isn't a zoo.

If that is it then your jailer will arrest anyone that breaks laws. Generally, laws are only broken when dwarves tantrum.

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

...or when you forget to check what export bans nobles have issued before you trade with a caravan...
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Saladan0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

Ive had trouble with jailers in other fortress's too. They never seem to do anything justice wise and even though in the justice screen, I have a few dwarves that need to be punished, but they never are.

Something im forgetting to do? I have the cages set as "Use for justice". Anything else?