Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Caves of Qud  (Read 16876 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Caves of Qud
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »

You mean Cerapace, right?

Unless the game has a misspelled version of the word 'Carapace', the hardened shell of a vertebrate or insect, then that would be a no.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 01:42:12 pm »

Ehndras, I believe that was supposed to be some kind of wordplay. the poster's name is Cerapa, and he or she has an insect icon.

Having never played Caves of Qud before, would you guys recommend a beginner picking it up? From the playthrough it seems a lot like Cataclysm so it doesn't necessarily seem too complicated. Is death by Albino Ape common, i.e. do you really need to be careful around any random enemy?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 03:02:20 pm »

Ehndras, I believe that was supposed to be some kind of wordplay. the poster's name is Cerapa, and he or she has an insect icon.

Having never played Caves of Qud before, would you guys recommend a beginner picking it up? From the playthrough it seems a lot like Cataclysm so it doesn't necessarily seem too complicated. Is death by Albino Ape common, i.e. do you really need to be careful around any random enemy?
Its pretty simple to pick up imo. Just dont try to talk to people with the t key. The t key throws grenades.

Albino apes are pretty tough, but they usually come a bit later. At the beginning you should be scared of bears(obviously), snapjaw brutes and if you see a slumberling DO NOT WAKE IT UP, EVER, thing will pounce your ass, but luckily it falls back asleep pretty quickly. Also, dont fuck around with the green plant things on the walls(cant remember the name) if you arent specifically killing them. They will always grab you when you dont want to be grabbed.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay then, our new guy is going to be a rifleman type of build, and for the sake of variety (s)he'll be a true human.
Anyone have a preference as far as the name goes or should I just go with a random name?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:10 am »

Its pretty simple to pick up imo. Just dont try to talk to people with the t key. The t key throws grenades.

Albino apes are pretty tough, but they usually come a bit later. At the beginning you should be scared of bears(obviously), snapjaw brutes and if you see a slumberling DO NOT WAKE IT UP, EVER, thing will pounce your ass, but luckily it falls back asleep pretty quickly. Also, dont fuck around with the green plant things on the walls(cant remember the name) if you arent specifically killing them. They will always grab you when you dont want to be grabbed.

Huh, weird. I found a slumberling two overmap tiles east of the start location and I killed it pretty easily with a steel longsword at level 11. No, I'm not a melee build, I'm a ranged char with all points over 18 in INT.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 03:57:41 am »

Huh, weird. I found a slumberling two overmap tiles east of the start location and I killed it pretty easily with a steel longsword at level 11. No, I'm not a melee build, I'm a ranged char with all points over 18 in INT.

Guess why you won.  Plus, 18 in strength gives a penetration bonus to your attacks.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:46 am »

Guess why you won.  Plus, 18 in strength gives a penetration bonus to your attacks.

I don't get it. I had like 5 steel longswords... I haven't even done the wire quest yet.

Screw the steel longsword, I ended up finding mechanical wings (you can fly!), a steel kukri, a carbine burst-fire rifle, and some sort of plastic armor that gives +2/+3.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:04 am »

Since no one seems to care name-wise, I'll go with a random one...

You know what I'll just call this guy Lisa...

As you can see, True Humans start with some really nice equipment. Also worth noting is the amount of water Lisa has, it's easily enough to buy some nice stuff from the store in town.
I forgot whether or not I mention the injectors earlier, but I'll talk a little about what we've got.
Salve injectors heal you.
Skulk injectors buff your abilities in darkness & weaken you in light.
Sphinx salt lets you basically set up a quick-save that you can go back to in 20 or so turns.
I can't help but notice Lisa doesn't have any ammo beyond the lead slugs in the rifle, so let's go down to the local shop.

Not much else that's worth getting so we set off for Red Rock...
only to discover 5 minutes later that I didn't actually take the quest. Also leveled up twice.
Lisa goes back to joppa, chats with the farmer guy & then fast travels back to Red Rock.

Time to take out my frustrations on a horde of baboons. It's a pretty easy fight, the baboons all died in a single melee hit.

After that I head down to Red Rock's cave. Honestly, at this point most things aren't a threat due to the lovely equipment Lisa started with.
I find a Vinewood Sap Mask, but beyond that nothing all that notable happened on the first floor.
After going down I kill a snapjaw and take his reinforced studded leather armor, which has a point more in its armor rating.

Treasure!

Lisa fights a bear, Lisa wins. He gains a level and a slab of bear meat.
Not much more to say since pretty much everything dies quickly. Head down a floor.

I find a snapjaw warlord, it survives a hit more than its underlings. The bug also dies fairly easily.

Cool, a cannibal. It dies in two hits. It's amazing what a difference better stats & equipment makes.
Well, maybe not amazing...

Hey, a new enemy! Yeah, these guy's are basically boars that shoot at you.
This could be trouble...

Wow... So lesson learned, don't screw with slugsnouts. Sorry Lisa...
That was definitely my stupidest death as of yet.
About the next character, would anyone mind if I kind of skip past talking about Red Rock because I'm already running out of stuff to say about it...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 09:35:12 am »

Slugsnouts and glowmoths. They pretty much rank next to young ivories on horrible ways to die. At least for me. Shot to death by pig.

You can skip red rock imo.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 01:28:58 pm »

I'm fine with skipping Redrock.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 12:07:18 am »

Why didn't you shoot it?

I've had luck lobbing poison/stun grenades at things while wearing a vinewood sap mask.  Sort of like a panic switch.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:48 am »

I didn't shoot it because... uh... well I'm sure I had a good reason at the time.
Seriously though, I was pretty tired which tends to make me a bit inept...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 12:08:14 pm »

I'm now a proud member of "Died by Slumberling" Club!

And I had a Steel Long Sword, and a character kitted out to fight.  Course, it crit'ed me.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:08 pm »

And I had a Steel Long Sword, and a character kitted out to fight.  Course, it crit'ed me.
How much pen do slumberlings have anyway? I dont really dare to find out.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 01:46:18 pm »

How much pen do slumberlings have anyway? I dont really dare to find out.

No idea. I'm not sure if its a glitch but I rememember something showing up as a 9/3002 or some such Penetration o_O
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5