Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Caves of Qud  (Read 16879 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Caves of Qud
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 02:58:55 pm »

I say 2 into every mutation. And then we boost Regen.
We only have 5 points.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 03:14:20 pm »

I say 2 into every mutation. And then we boost Regen.
We only have 5 points.
Thats what happens when you read a post in the morning on your phone, and then post in the evening on your computer.

1 point into Regen then.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »

I say 2 into every mutation. And then we boost Regen. The 2 into Two-hearted and Double-muscled will give us a point of toughness and strength. I think after that their penalties get bigger.

Yeah, not exactly what you guys suggested but I misread your posts, sorry.

Also got this skill for long blades. Plus I learned Kick-Back & Aimed Shot for rifles.
Anyways, McSmashFace asks the local tinkerer Argyve if he has any menial tasks. Argyve requests that he get some artifacts.
McSmashFace heads east to search the Rustwells and...

Ehh, the Rustwells can wait. I've got a lizard to kill.

I cannot tell you how many time I've attacked one of these guys & was immediately slaughtered, thankfully this wasn't one of those times.

Also, crocodiles! Don't you just love that new enemy smell?

A chest! With a grenade! (Quest Completed)

These guys kinda seem like they'd be from Pokemon. Really weak though.

Crabs! (Also kinda weak!)

Baboons? Why are there baboons in a cave?

Put a point into Double-Muscled.

I was actually a bit worried during this fight. (Mostly about my items, but still!)

The chameleon I came in here to fight.

Why exactly does the chameleon have a key card? (He died in two hits if you're curious.)

More grenades! Nothing else there so we go off to the Rustwells to get stuff for Argyve.

Grabbing some wire as well to save time. I don't want to have to make a ton of trips back & forth.

A snapjaw warlord, not really all that notable at this point.

But what he's carrying is. (Also found some more wire.)

Put a point in Two-Hearted.

Free water!

And now we're done here...

New stuff to buy!

A teleporter!

That's it for this update folks, you know what to do.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 06:32:38 am »

Posting to watch. :) Just started CoQ, having quite a bit of fun.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:46 am »

Hey them Eyeless Crabs have killed me countless times, especially the king ones... but they give out a nice shell-shield if you have high butcher and crab legs sell well.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 05:49:08 am »

Hey them Eyeless Crabs have killed me countless times, especially the king ones... but they give out a nice shell-shield if you have high butcher and crab legs sell well.
Huh, didn't know you could get shields from them... I'll have to keep that in mind for later on.
Anyway, I'll try to stop being lazy & put up an update later today or tomorrow if I get hit with another bout of laziness.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 10:44:10 pm »

Okay, so I'm sure you guys are curious as to why I took a 2 week break from the LP.
I've got a good excuse, I picked up A Game of Thrones. So yeah...
Last we checked in with McSmashFace, he had gotten a teleporter thingy for getting some wire. Fair trade I'd say...

For our next mission we get to deliver a data-disk to some albino cave bears. Odd to say the least...
Also, spent 150 points on butchery. Due to it being genuinely useful & the fact that I want a new shield.

On the way to the previously mentioned cave bears, we run into skunks that expel poisonous gas...

I kill them & gain a level. (Stupid things ruined my boar corpse!)

I get over the saddening loss and run into a slightly crazed senior citizen. I kill him & take his stuff including a steel vinereaper & a silver nugget, pretty good loot actually.

Found a room filled with junk. :-\
Truly a shame McSmashFace isn't really made for tinkering...

Head down into the caverns & discover a few more crazed old guys. The fight goes as you'd expect. Afterwards a Honey Skunk shows up to destroy my hard earned loot.

I find a locker full of animal bits & a can of... uh... something...

Killed a couple more hermits a do down a level to find some loot.

McSmashFace makes a new friend! His new friend shares his love of killing random wildlife.

Also, bugs!

And a white monkey!

Uh oh...

Darn it...  :-[
Oh well, suggest a new character & all that jazz...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:20:36 pm by SomeStupidGuy »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:05:09 pm »

Ow.

Make a character based around guns/bows and possibly ranged mutations. I'm indifferent on stats or mutations so others can suggest or you can choose.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »

I never even heard of Caves of Qud before seeing this thread, so thanks for making it! It is interesting to see, but without knowing much about the game I feel kind of left in the dark by the thread. Thanks for doing things like screenshoting the descriptions of the monsters though, that's cool to see. If you do plan on running another character, either doing a ranged-focused mutant like Tarran suggested would be neat, or you could show off how true humans play.

Without knowing what mental powers support ranged attacks I don't know which to suggest, but it sounds like you know what you're doing so I think you could come up with a good ranged build. Since Agility is the ranged stat here you should put points into that, and then Willpower and Ego if you use Mental Mutations. I don't know how effective min/maxing is in this system but if you don't want to spend the extra points just getting those up to 18 and putting the rest in toughness and intelligence seems like it would be a good ranged build.

The callings seem very unbalanced as far as staring skills go, though I'm just going by number since I'm not sure how useful any of them are. If Agility is the most important stat for ranged and we're using mutations instead of guns Arconaut seems like the logical choice. Otherwise if it's more important to boost the mental powers GreyBeard gives the most willpower.

You do a good job getting screenshots! It would be nice to see more written information though, like your opinions or thoughts about aspects of the game. I'm looking forward to seeing how this next character plays out!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:43 am »

My most successful character was a True Human bowman/sniper. As long as you can keep distance between you and your query, you'll kick absolute ass!

I recently found a carbine which I'm now using to murder everything in sight. Unfortunately, the 3-round burst-fire goes through all my ammo. Thankfully, I keep my bow on me, which can one-shot weak creatures.

My ONE issue is FOOD. I've been nearly dying for a week in-game, always running out of food much too quickly.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 02:02:43 am »

My ONE issue is FOOD. I've been nearly dying for a week in-game, always running out of food much too quickly.
Do you have at least basic Butchering? If so, go kill some boars.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:35 am »

Do you have at least basic Butchering? If so, go kill some boars.

Yeah, boars have been my salvation. I just wondered what the hell I could do to get plenty of food without having to spend all my time roaming randomly in search of boar. I've got plenty of money now, but all anyone sells are vinewafers which disappear very easily. I also Harvest whatever I can find, though most fruit tend to give detrimental effects when I eat them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2012, 04:31:41 am »

I think you can eat any corpses you find, even if you don't butcher them.

True human plays exactly like playing as a mutant with more stat points and no mutations.  And slightly better starting gear (actually, true humans sometimes start with awesome gear, but the randomness makes this fairly unlikely).

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 06:00:38 am »

You could try out my favourite mutant build. Its Carapace, Flaming Hands, Ravenous, 2 Unstable Genome. And then 18 into everything but strength and start with tinker. Put the first point into Flaming Hands and kite things and use the hands until they die. Can take out equimaxes and stuff relatively early like that.

Carapace and the hands(freezing and flaming) mutations are simply amazing, both early and late game. The hands completely bypass armor, and carapace gives a shitton of resists and armor. The 2 unstable genome usually end up with something good. In my best game I got Time Dilation and Electrical Generation, just breezed through Bethesda Susa and Golgotha and killed everything with a scoped carbine and a crafted eigenrifle. At the end of Bethesda Susa, I used Time Dilation, and while everyone was frozen in time, I used a flamethrower I had found and burned the place down, all the while taking very little damage because of carapace. And then I got killed by a king crab.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2012, 06:32:44 am »

You mean Cerapace, right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5