Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Caves of Qud  (Read 16889 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Caves of Qud
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 04:00:29 pm »

Okay then, lastly we have to choose a calling...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »

I vote for Tinker, water merchant, or Watervine farmer
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 02:27:47 am »

I vote for Tinker, water merchant, or Watervine farmer

+1 meh, I just want the game to start. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 06:13:52 pm »

Sorry for taking so long to get this up, my internet went down for reasons unknown to me.

So that's our character until inevitably I screw up in some ridiculous way.
I kinda forgot to get an image of Joppa, the starting town but nothing too interesting happened beyond giving a fire grenade to an inventor in town named Argyve & taking a quest from a farmer togo up to Red Rock to find out what's eating the local crop.

Took the more scenic route rather than fast travelling there & ended up setting a snapjaw on fire, so that was fairly productive.

And a laser to a half dead tortoise brings Stanwyck up a level.

A bit further to Red Rock she encounters a salthopper. She sets it on fire & as a response it sprints at her, but she luckily teleports away just before it gets too close.

The salthopper dies soon after.

Before leaving, Stanwyck is set upon by a horned chameleon & gains yet another level. Just goes to show the road to success is paved with roasted wildlife.

The entrance to Red Rock, not pictured is the half-dozen chimpanzees Stanwyck lasered to get there.

Seems as good a place to stop as any, let me know what to do with the skill, attribute, & mutation points.

Inventory & Equipment for those curious
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 03:58:15 am »

I'd strongly suggest saving up for space-time vortex or teleport, just in case your blinking tic sends you to certain doom.  I seem to recall that blinking tic can send you anywhere, so without space-time vortex or teleport, it can lead to instant game-over.

Nevermind, I just remembered that we're gonna get something the help in these situations soon, probably before we got enough mutant points anyways.  Just keep helping Argyve out.

Buy a gas mask so you can use your grenade as a panic switch.  Increase tinkering skills, and try to learn to make poison or stun gas grenades.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 07:06:57 am »

I'd strongly suggest saving up for space-time vortex or teleport, just in case your blinking tic sends you to certain doom.  I seem to recall that blinking tic can send you anywhere, so without space-time vortex or teleport, it can lead to instant game-over.

Nevermind, I just remembered that we're gonna get something the help in these situations soon, probably before we got enough mutant points anyways.  Just keep helping Argyve out.

Buy a gas mask so you can use your grenade as a panic switch.  Increase tinkering skills, and try to learn to make poison or stun gas grenades.
Wait, what? I didn't know the Blinking Tic could send you anywhere, that's somewhat worrying.
Though I'm not to worried about I should with be able to find a gas mask in Red Rock.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 09:57:31 am »

Wait, what? I didn't know the Blinking Tic could send you anywhere, that's somewhat worrying.
Though I'm not to worried about I should with be able to find a gas mask in Red Rock.
It cant teleport you into walls if thats what you are worried about.

But it can lead you into places dosconnected from the main area. And then you have to wait around until you get teleported back.

And yeah, save up mutation points for a new mutation and I suggest the attribute point be thrown into Ego. If we get to level 6 and have a skull to wear, then we could have a +3 to all mutations.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

I put the attribute points into ego & got the skills scavenge & butcher. So now I can rummage through garbage!

Find a snapjaw & a plant. Toasted & laser'd them. It generally went on like that for most of the time.

Found a snapjaw shot-gunner that comes dangerously close to murdering me.
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OnAHX.png[/IMG]
Got a nice shotgun for my troubles.

An incompetent snapjaw kills self with a poorly thrown poison grenade.

A little while later I level up, one more level and I get a new mutation.

The snapjaws try to trap me using my one true weakness, free alcohol. I burn them.

I found a treasure chest!

Huh, I've never seen a glowmoth in Red Rock before... It ends up burning.

And I gain a level!

Surprisingly good luck for mutation options.

I find the thing that's been eating the watervines. I respond to this problem as I have everything else, with burning.

Oops... Seriously though, sorry about that. In my near endless incompetence I forgot that steam tends to burn you...

Time to make a new character I guess...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:49:13 pm by SomeStupidGuy »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »

Ah yes, Steam. Reminds me of the many times I've died to it.

This time, how about a heavy melee mutation or all physical mutation character?

And how about Evil Twin as a defect, for our entertainment? :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 09:50:44 pm »

Ah yes, Steam. Reminds me of the many times I've died to it.

This time, how about a heavy melee mutation or all physical mutation character?

And how about Evil Twin as a defect, for our entertainment? :P
:D I was wondering when someone would suggest evil twin, but yeah I'm more than willing to play a physical mutation based character.

Okay, then we just need a name & calling.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:49 pm »

Name: Mcsmashedface or Mcsmashface or Mcsmashyourface depending on your preference.

Calling: Any melee or ranged one. If you want it more specific, I say Warden since it's pretty balanced.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:02 am »

Name: Mcsmashedface or Mcsmashface or Mcsmashyourface depending on your preference.

Calling: Any melee or ranged one. If you want it more specific, I say Warden since it's pretty balanced.

+1 yay melee monster! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 05:47:31 pm »

And thus the undoubtedly epic saga of McFaceSmash begins.

I enter Joppa & ask a nearby farmer if any faces need smashing. He sends me off to Red Rock.

I level up on the way there & learn butchery.

I enter the cave & discover a chest not far from the entrance.

I find a bear relatively early on. Wasn't too hard to smash it's face.

I kill a Snapjaw Hunter. I grab it's bow for situations where face smashing may not be appropriate.
Also got up to level 3 & went down another floor soon after.

I kill a Snapjaw Warlord(not pictured), then proceed to find & accidentally smash a syringe thing.

About to fight a Snapjaw Warrior.

Found a new sword.

Another treasure chest.

Yet another treasure chest...

Another level up, down to floor 3 of Red Rock.

Found chainmail, a cloak and...

an insane dude.

Also a Glowmoth.

Cool new hood.

Treasure chest number four...

and five.

New stabbing implement.

Chest 6 - Son of Treasure Chest

Slowly gaining a nice little horde of mutation points.

Found the Girshling & managed to not burn myself.

Why do these caves contain so many half-nude crazy people?
Nothing notable happened until I got back to Joppa, & talk to the farmer.
Spoiler: Plot (click to show/hide)
After that bit of exposition, I go off to the shop to pawn off the junk from Red Rock.

I end up buying a vinewood mask, a musket, & bullets for the aforementioned musket.

Time to quit for today, so let me know how I should spend my points & whatnot.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 06:14:08 pm »

I never played with that combo, so watch out for my crappy suggestions.

Regen 3, Two-hearted 1, Double-muscled 1 perhaps.

Or just buy a new mutation and grab 1 regen.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 02:49:13 pm »

I say 2 into every mutation. And then we boost Regen. The 2 into Two-hearted and Double-muscled will give us a point of toughness and strength. I think after that their penalties get bigger.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5