Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning backpacks/waterskins to workers?  (Read 521 times)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
Assigning backpacks/waterskins to workers?
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »

So, I've literally just started on my first megaproject, and it involves LOTS of digging/channeling, and I was wondering if it would be possible to assign backpacks and waterskins to workers in a future version, if you can't already do that without drafting them, I mean.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning backpacks/waterskins to workers?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:47:19 pm »

You have to put them in the military, but that doesn't mean they have to fight!  Just give them a squad, always leave them off duty, and give them no barracks in which to train, and it'll be just as if they were civilians with flasks.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:17 pm »

Thatīs fine for the starting phase of a project... but if you tell them to always have some food and water/any drink in their packs all the time they will go back and restock. I use small stockpiles all over the place, the workers will usually go back to the nearest pile they can find and sleep on the floor if too far away from their bed.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »

They take up to three individual stacks of food for their backpacks, but only ever one stack of three for their waterskins. This difference means that a 'fill backpack' job will be generated every time a dwarf eats from a backpack, but a 'fill waterskin' job will be generated every third time a dwarf drinks from a waterskin.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »

i suppose if dwarves are never on active duty then they won't drop claimed backpack-food on the ground.  However you might just look into setting up mini-dormitories and booze stockpiles near the worksite.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

i suppose if dwarves are never on active duty then they won't drop claimed backpack-food on the ground.  However you might just look into setting up mini-dormitories and booze stockpiles near the worksite.

Much easier this way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable