Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: THE STRESS IS KILLING ME  (Read 9502 times)

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
THE STRESS IS KILLING ME
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:39 pm »

Ive run a few forts and when I slipped up then, I thought "no big deal, im new".

Now when I come back after a long hiatus of adventure mode the stress of my first fort this version is driving me crazy
I DONT HAVE ENOUGH ROCK POTS FOR THE STILL!!! WHAT THE STILL ISNT ACTIVE ANYWAYS???!?!!
HEY! MINERS ARE SLACKING!!! WHY ISNT THE FARM AT WORK!?!?! WHY DO THE FIELDS LOOK INACTIVE AM I GOING TO STARVE? HOLY CRAP ITS HALFWAY THROUGH YEAR ONE I DONT EVEN HAVE AN ARMY FRAMEWORK I NEED MORE TRAPS MORE TRAPS OH GOD WHY ARE THE DWARVES UNHAPPY? NO DECORATIONS, NO BEDS? NEED MORE BUT DONT HAVE ENOUGH WOOD OR ROCK MORE ROCK NEED TREE CUT MINE MORE ROCK STILLS FARM ARMY TRAPS ARMY STILLS FARM TRAPS WALLS TRALLS STARMY FARM ROCK RARM FOCK MINME WEfljkgdkljfdg. gggdfgggg.

Thats generally how its going, and its ruining the fun (not that kind of fun, I mean just general enjoyment of fort mode). Any advice?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:23:09 pm by Salmonpunch »
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: THE STRESS IS KILLING ME
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:21 pm »

Ive run a few forts and when I slipped up then, I thought "no big deal, im new".

Now when I come back after a long hiatus of adventure mode the stress of my first fort this version is driving me crazy
I DONT HAVE ENOUGH ROCK POTS FOR THE STILL!!! WHAT THE STILL ISNT ACTIVE ANYWAYS???!?!!
HEY! MINERS ARE SLACKING!!! WHY ISNT THE FARM AT WORK!?!?! WHY DO THE FIELDS LOOK INACTIVE AM I GOING TO STARVE? HOLY CRAP ITS HALFWAY THROUGH YEAR ONE I DONT EVEN HAVE AN ARMY FRAMEWORK I NEED MORE TRAPS MORE TRAPS OH GOD WHY ARE THE DWARVES UNHAPPY? NO DECORATIONS, NO BEDS? NEED MORE BUT DONT HAVE ENOUGH WOOD OR ROCK MORE ROCK NEED TREE CUT MINE MORE ROCK STILLS FARM ARMY TRAPS ARMY STILLS FARM TRAPS WALLS TRALLS STARMY FARM ROCK RARM FOCK MINME WEfljkgdkljfdg. gggdfgggg.

Thats generally how its going, and its ruining the fun (not that kind of fun, I mean just general enjoyment of fort mode). Any advice?
Cherish this time :P After a few forts it will turn and you you'll start handicapping yourself for a challange :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:46:02 pm »

Cherish this time :P After a few forts it will turn and you you'll start handicapping yourself for a challange :P
I still have that all the time with food and booze   :-X

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:33 pm »

IMO, 50% of Fort mode is logistics, at the very least. Your first dozen games are you learning what kind of embark you need to suit the logistics of your chosen play style. (200+ Pop, Evil Embark Survival, No Smithing, Trade Industries, Straight to Hell, Magma Doom, ect....)

If you don't have fun dealing with the logistical challenges, I don't know what to tell you. You'll get better at managing them but they are by and large the focus of fort mode gameplay. Needing X and Y to accomplish Z before A happens is pretty much the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pipeweeeeed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »

*redacted*
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:40:51 am by Pipeweeeeed »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »

Everybody likes gloating over the efficiency of their dwarves but it shouldn't be your primary concern or you'll get bored with your fortress pretty fast =)

Everybody likes gloating over the efficiency of their dwarves

Everybody

gloating

over

efficiency

Erm... Wrong forum? :P

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »

Ha. Efficiency. :P
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:03:00 pm »

How can you be "gloating over the efficiency" of someone who continue to wall himself into walls and puts he's sleeping before the survival of the fort?  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:38:05 pm by slowpokez »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »

IMO, 50% of Fort mode is logistics, at the very least. Your first dozen games are you learning what kind of embark you need to suit the logistics of your chosen play style. (200+ Pop, Evil Embark Survival, No Smithing, Trade Industries, Straight to Hell, Magma Doom, ect....)

If you don't have fun dealing with the logistical challenges, I don't know what to tell you. You'll get better at managing them but they are by and large the focus of fort mode gameplay. Needing X and Y to accomplish Z before A happens is pretty much the game.

This is how I feel and my fun factor is a function of my tolerance for the logistics. Lately I've been paralyzing myself by coming up with some grand plan only to realize that handling the first 3 years/65 migrants needs to happen first. The forts where I'm just winging it usually end up fatally flawed in some way or just ugly but at least the journey was more fun.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:25:14 pm by Scarpa »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »

This is how I feel and my fun factor is a function of my tolerance for the logistics. Lately I've been paralyzing myself by coming up with some grand plan only to realize that handling the first 3 years/65 migrants needs to happen first. The forts where I'm just winging it usually end up fatally flawed in some way or just ugly but at least the journey was more fun.

OK, when you get a good embark, build the fort up to 65+ dwarves with a basic infrastructure, then save the fort, copy the file, and every time you decide you want to try to do something else, delete your current game and pull the save out, crank it up, and start back at 65+ dwarves with a good embark.

You can even just save the file on dffd, explain what it is, and let other people play with it too, as well as keeping it safe for your own use whenever you want.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:13:17 pm »

OK, when you get a good embark, build the fort up to 65+ dwarves with a basic infrastructure, then save the fort, copy the file, and every time you decide you want to try to do something else, delete your current game and pull the save out, crank it up, and start back at 65+ dwarves with a good embark.

You can even just save the file on dffd, explain what it is, and let other people play with it too, as well as keeping it safe for your own use whenever you want.

A 'seed' fort... That's a great idea!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »

A 'seed' fort... That's a great idea!

You can find plenty of them on DFFD at any given time already - look at the first couple years of any community fort before too many overseers' unfinished projects ends up doing awful things to the fort :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:46:11 pm »

I remeber when i joined last year, i would embark then it was like "wut?". I figured it out soon enouph and was eventuly out looking for more fun, as the reason most of my forts fall is FPS
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:49 am »

Stockpiles stress me out. I always think I have enough storage and then I run out. I usually need more bins and more bags and more pots, and race to try and keep up.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:20 am »

The bot is right, this ASCII shouldn't cause you stress. Relish the FUN, don't hate it.

Do like the dwarves : die with a smiley face !

:)
Pages: [1] 2 3