Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 74

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living  (Read 134976 times)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living
« Reply #795 on: June 16, 2012, 11:57:23 am »

Well, thanks!  ;D Quick searches don't always show everything.

Tryed it out a bit, now. I've only ever used GIMP (and MSPaint :P), so it's taking time to wrap my head around OC. Not that I would be any better at using GIMP...
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 16, 2012, 08:28:02 pm »

Well, thanks!  ;D Quick searches don't always show everything.

Tryed it out a bit, now. I've only ever used GIMP (and MSPaint :P), so it's taking time to wrap my head around OC. Not that I would be any better at using GIMP...

Well, the trick is to draw the outlines, then add the details, with OpenCanvas. You could always try what I use to draw with, which is also free.
al.chemy.org/
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 17, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »

The constant isolation is putting  a strain in the relationships of our dwarves. Today, a bunch of farmers saw the militia commander loudly discussing with a baby, and stormed out of the room cursing him after getting frustrated.

Gentlemen, I think we have found the solution to our problem: let our enemies fight the zombies! We just need to build a big chamber to keep the smoke away from...them...no..stupid idea.

There is an stupid child in the surface that refuses to die and it's cluttering my announcements screen.

After a while, we stopped receiving the messages.

NO! FUCK YOU GHOST. I hate that the only way to get rid of ghosts is to give them rest, I'd love to kill this asshole who killed my favorite dwarf. Goddammit.

Our proud militia commander, who has been tortured by a ghost for about 3 months, is miserable...And he has a very dangerous-looking spear.

As long as that well remains strong, we shall not fall!

From left to right: militia commander (spear, tantruming), soldier (axe, unhappy), soldier (sword, unhappy). Hmm, we may have a bit of a situation, and I don't know why! I mean, they can sleep in their own room when in duty, AND IT HAS FURNITURE, for god's sake. Where I come from, we only needed a bed and a legendary dining room to be happy. Here I am, without dwarf therapist, confused about the happiness of my dwarves and these guys come in and start babbling about their nonsense about long patrol duty, and that the dead is making me sad, and this and that, and grow a pair! The bravest dwarves in Markedangels are the most whiny ones...Perhaps they're just bored...

Well, they're on their rest month, so that should give me enough time (to end my turn)(I'm sorry, next overseer, you may have an inminent spiral, my gut tells me so.)

Why?! But I thought you said you had calmed down! At least you could've gone stark raving mad or something...not berserk, specially not with armor and weapons...

Those two fine dwarves with our mad commander are half of the rest of our military, and they happen to be the new recruits...Let's hope their training takes over.

I placed the kill order.

The commander's expertise sure plays a major role in the fight: the recruit (oh yeah, did I forget to mention that he is missing a leg?!) doesn't have time to act before his good leg is critically stabbed, turning it into a bloody heap. He looses conciousness soon.

But our unconscious recruit isn't dead yet. The second in command soon joins the fight and damages the mad dwarf's liver.

Two against one is imbalanced, specially if the one is sturbbornly hitting the unconscious dwarf, not in the head.

The berserker is getting more wounded by the frame (time unit).

His guts are hit and he gets nauseous. He vomits. He gives into pain. His head is smashed by a silver war hammer, stricking him down.

The doctor is soon diagnosing the legless recruit.

But the death of his fellow comrade has gotten under the skin of the new commander, who is also his executioner. He killed a friend, and that's too much for certain dwarves (however, he looks more like the depressive type, so phew).

If they ever, ever find out a way into the fort, we die.

Scanning a rough sample of about six dwarves, I'd say that the general mood is happy, so no tantrum spiral for us.

I received a death threat tonight. My room had a dead goat in the middle of an engraving about the foundation of markedangels, its guts were shaped like a catapult. My search and rescue team, now more like the secret police, are investigating the 'catapult cult', but I don't trust them anymore, I don't trust anyone anymore. I didn't survive the plague, forgotten beasts, zombies, goblins, ghosts, troglodytes and evil smoke to be murdered by dwarves. Not me. So, I'll be publicly stepping out of the overseer position, there is an eager dwarf ready to be my successor. He's a good kid, but I don't think he knows what he's getting into. I'll become a regular farmer...but only to the common dwarf's eyes. In reality, I'll still be in charge, well only until a new plot device says the contrary. But in the meantime, happy keeping your sanity.

And spring is upon us.

So, there is one last thing. How is zombienihilator going? Not as good as I hoped. Construction has barely began, I only managed to build three tunnels and fill them with bridges. Just add pressure plates (which need to be set to minimum weight, as several zombies are rabbits) and baits and it should work. Good luck, next overseer.

SAVE: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6521

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 18, 2012, 04:23:51 am »

Downloading... at 7 kB/s... moving around for better signal...
Yes! 100kB/s!

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 18, 2012, 04:52:23 am »

That Turn was amazing.

I have no idea how the lag didnt stomp on your face, but hey :)

Good luck, Overseer Vodrilus! Dont die within 2 seconds.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:12 am »

The lag is, indeed, overwhelming... 4fps...

Journal of Vodrilus III Koganlelum, Overseer
1st Granite, 259.
xczxc, that madman, has finally resigned his position as overseer. He is now only a humble farmer, broken by the horrors of Markedangels.

2nd Granite, 259
The strangest thing happened to me today. As I was hanging out in the graveyard with Edem the other mechanic, a strange, calm clarity came upon me. I realized that this must be stopped. I will not let this travesty continue! I will claim the position of Overseer. It now falls to me to bring these ruins back to full blossom. Where others have failed, I will succeed. I will bring Markedangels the Waters of Living back to glory, or die trying!

3nd Granite, 259
What have I gotten myself into? It's too late to back down now. I talked to xczxc, who gave me a pile of journals and notes, among them also rough sketches of the layout of the fort. It seems that the fort is even more of maze (of pure, utter insanity) than I thought, and I have only dared explore the sanest parts. I must pore over these documents, now...

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 18, 2012, 09:46:46 am »

Have fun discovering how much of the fort has, over time, been isolated and contained in order to keep us alive :)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 18, 2012, 09:49:43 am »

Yeah, I'd be really interested to see a reclaim succession on this. Imagine the horror when you discover sealed areas one by one...  :P

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 18, 2012, 10:34:42 am »

Yeah, I'd be really interested to see a reclaim succession on this. Imagine the horror when you discover sealed areas one by one...  :P
You realise that when We finally die, the Reclaim will all be a part of This very Thread ;)
The Story of Markedangels wont be over, until its completely over.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:15 am »

You realise that when We finally die, the Reclaim will all be a part of This very Thread ;)
That'll be when the list of Zombies/missing/dead hits over 50k and Fps = <0.1 ?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:14 am »

Another mini-update.  8)

16th Granite, 259
Let's see. I've ordered the stairways to be broadened, so everybody can go side by side instead of the other one having to crawl. I've ordered some clothes to be made, since some members of the militia have been embarrassed by their own nudity. Also, I am continuing the secret project begun by xczxc, the Zombienihilator. According to the journals, projects such as this seem to have a rather poor track record, which is why I ordered a stopper to be constructed after the actual contraption in order to make sure that none of the monsters ever reach their goal - us.

Otherwise, we are quite well. Most industries have been set up. Our food and drink supplies are more than adequate. What is missing, is the host of skilled labourers - their bodies now lie strewn across the surface, or are even now skulking in the sealed corridors, vying for our flesh. Ugh, those corridors, they're not much more than nasty crawl-spaces, twisty and narrow. I may wish to expand them, once I have more labour force.

17th Granite
I've found something interesting among the stack of journals: they mention a strange phenomenon in the aquifer - an everflowing little current.

Another damn drain on the fps, if you ask me.

Last night, I dreamed of the Catapult, but I can't remember the actual dream, though it was horrifying. I think this place is starting to get to me.

20th Granite, 259

Oh no! More migrants - they're doomed! Unless...

I have heard the latest progress report on the zombienihilator, and I deem it operational. I have decided to open it. I am burrowing myself and some other critical members of staff inside the panic room, where the controls to the machine are. May the Catapult help us...

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »

I had around 15 fps, and 10 fps in winter, which I still consider playable, albeit slow. Good luck Vodrilus! Let's hope the zombienihilator anihilates the zombies.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 18, 2012, 04:49:01 pm »

It's had a decent run, but it's proving hard to lure the zombies in. Some of them are also rather slow, what with all those limbs missing and such.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:12 pm »

That'll be when the list of Zombies/missing/dead hits over 50k and Fps = <0.1 ?
More like, when one of these 'strategies' to kill off the zombies ends up becoming a bloodbath :D

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 19, 2012, 03:07:01 am »

I'm doing mini-updates to stay motivated with the hellish fps. I bet the semi-open HFS doesn't really help, either.

20th
The migrants have organized themselves into a squad to run for the entrance. Once again, they surprise the rest of us with their choice of name for the squad: The Vestibules of Comedy.

25th
We are struck by another calamity! The forgotten beast Leto Kastrolbudzu has come over our walls in the cavern! It is only a pile of mud with wings on it, but it spews endless amounts of thick web! This will not end well...

Happyjoy! A raw recruit managed to clip its wings, and its body was quickly destroyed. The joy of victory was overshadowed, however, by a restless  spirit, Meng the Wrestler.

The zombienihilator is a great success! Even though, theoretically speaking, a monster could waltz right through the flippin' bridges, none of them have been that lucky (yet). Praised be the Catapult!

Some of the pilgrims must be insane. Talking to some newcomers, I heard that some of them are fighting each other up there. Three dwarves with crossbows have ganged up on one of the other brave souls. Their trek must have been harsh also on the mind.

It is good to hear that some of the monsters are in a really poor shape. Some are so full of bolts that they resemble porcupines more than... whatever they used to be. Others are utterly maimed, limbless and helpless.

PLACEHOLDER FOR AN IMAGE OF A MAIMED ZOMBIE. DAMN PHOTOBUCKET.

1st Slate
My first month as Overseer has come to an end. Since the threat from the outside is less acute at the moment, it might be a good time to focus on improving the fortress...

EDIT: I hereby request an image of said maimed and pincushioned zombies.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:10:14 am by Vodrilus »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 74