Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living  (Read 134966 times)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living
« Reply #765 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:27 am »

We shouldn't talk shit about the catapult.
I think it's the only reason we still get immigrants. Pilgrims?

Duh. Obviously.
xD
But as the gates of Markedangels opened they all knew it was worth it because inside these walls the room lies.
The room of the catapult.
                                 _.---"'"""""'`--.._
                             _,.-'                   `-._
                         _,."                            -.
                     .-""   ___...---------.._        `.
                     `---'""                  `-.            .
                                                 `.            \
                                                   `.           \
                                                     \           \
                                                      .           \
                                                      |            |
                                _________         |           |
                          _,.-'"         `"'-.._      :            |
                      _,-'                      `-._.'             |
                   _.'                              `.               '
        _.-.    _,+......__                           `.         .
      .'    `-"'           `"-.,-""--._                 \        /
     /    ,'                  |    __  \                 \      /
    `   ..                       +"  )  \                 \    /
     `.'  \          ,-"`-..    |       |                  \  /
      / " |        .'        \   '.    _.'                   .'
     |,.."--"""--.|    "    |    `""`.                      |
   ,"               `-._     |        |                     |
 .'                     `-._+         |                     |
/                           `.                        /     |
|    `     '                  |                      /      |
`-.....--.__                  |              |      /     |
   `./ "| / `-.........--.-   '              |    ,'       '
     /| ||        `.'  ,'   .'               |_,-+          /
    / ' '.`.        _,'   ,'     `.            |   '   _,..    /
   /   `.  `"'"'""'"   _,^--------".       |    `.'_  _/
  /... _.`:.________,.'             .     |           "'
 `.__.'                                 `._  /
                                           "'

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 11, 2012, 10:14:55 am »

We shouldn't talk shit about the catapult.
I think it's the only reason we still get immigrants. Pilgrims?

Duh. Obviously.
xD
But as the gates of Markedangels opened they all knew it was worth it because inside these walls the room lies.
The room of the catapult.
                                 _.---"'"""""'`--.._
                             _,.-'                   `-._
                         _,."                            -.
                     .-""   ___...---------.._        `.
                     `---'""                  `-.            .
                                                 `.            \
                                                   `.           \
                                                     \           \
                                                      .           \
                                                      |            |
                                _________         |           |
                          _,.-'"         `"'-.._      :            |
                      _,-'                      `-._.'             |
                   _.'                              `.               '
        _.-.    _,+......__                           `.         .
      .'    `-"'           `"-.,-""--._                 \        /
     /    ,'                  |    __  \                 \      /
    `   ..                       +"  )  \                 \    /
     `.'  \          ,-"`-..    |       |                  \  /
      / " |        .'        \   '.    _.'                   .'
     |,.."--"""--.|    "    |    `""`.                      |
   ,"               `-._     |        |                     |
 .'                     `-._+         |                     |
/                           `.                        /     |
|    `     '                  |                      /      |
`-.....--.__                  |              |      /     |
   `./ "| / `-.........--.-   '              |    ,'       '
     /| ||        `.'  ,'   .'               |_,-+          /
    / ' '.`.        _,'   ,'     `.            |   '   _,..    /
   /   `.  `"'"'""'"   _,^--------".       |    `.'_  _/
  /... _.`:.________,.'             .     |           "'
 `.__.'                                 `._  /
                                           "'

Stop trying to force Me to dust off My graphics tablet and draw the shit out of Markedangels  :'(
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #767 on: June 11, 2012, 10:17:10 am »

Wut? How come you managed to respond so fast?  :o
I was thinking about getting a coffe or something and there's a new post... :P
1min 25 sec to respond+ you had to read it....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:18:57 am by slowpokez »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 11, 2012, 11:21:26 am »

Wut? How come you managed to respond so fast?  :o
I was thinking about getting a coffe or something and there's a new post... :P
1min 25 sec to respond+ you had to read it....
Im awesome.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 12, 2012, 10:14:29 pm »

MARKEDANGELS
If it werent for the fucking Catapult, We wouldnt even need to BOTHER with an Entrance.

Such a welcoming sight! Especially for the Catapult Pilgrims...

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

After having spent several nights in my overseer's office, reading the logs of my predecessors, I became increasingly horrified. Were we doomed to die struggling? It appeared so. Then, I raised my eyes and saw all of those familiar faces, dwarves who had suffered, orphans, widows, all accosted by ghosts of their long dead friends; or worse, being forced to endure seeing their loved ones crawling around in the open, dripping blood and eating raw meat, like animals, without signs of any type of dwarfity (humanity). These were strong dwarves, and they all deserved something better: A fortress without zombies.

It was then that I devised a glorious plan. Scratch that nonsense about a nice entrance. Let's go full dwarf. I, xczxc, will build a mechanism to end all unlife, and to give Markedangels a fresh start, or die trying. Which is something I can do a couple of times, since there are some undwarfed dwarves (dorfing anyone?). Here is the list:

So, how is the zombienihilator going to work? Let me explain:

First. A series of winding tunnels are going to be built, all of which spawn from a common room away from the main fort.
Second. Chambers will be dug on top of a segment of those tunnels and a plug of dirt will be hanging from the roof, held by a single pillar, which will be connected to a lever.
Third. Pressure plates will be placed in the tunnels, connected to floodgates to trap zombies.
Fourth. Baits will be placed along the tunnels. Hopefully, animals.
Fifth. The tunnels are going to be opened to the exterior and the miners will return inmediately to the tunnels.
Sixth. Zombies, lured with the smell of fresh meat and fort entrances, will rush into the tunnels, becoming trapped inside the several floodgates. After a while most of the zombies are trapped.
Seventh. The lever is going to be pulled and BAM! No more zombies. The end.

Flawless, right?

But before that we need a healthy fort, and a lot of picks. So, my first rule is banning the upper fort, not because it's dangerous (all the entrances are sealed, I think), but mainly because of the law of dwarven entropy: The bigger a fortress gets, the more time is spent in useless jobs. We need focused dwarfs!

We have plenty of food and drinks. In fact, we have plenty of everything.

Life goes on. At the local hospital, Id Zaluddakost, who has a broken rib, is the first patient of our brand new doctor, Dr. Fokerdeduk. Who is diagnosing him after several days of idling around. Not being able to work because of his rib, Zaluddakost didn't make any crowns for the mayor and is now a criminal. But Markedangels is a free society, there are no cages anywhere. There is a mayor planning to proclaim himself king, tough, probably because we've been isolated for so much time.

A small child was killed by a violent ghost. It is unclear how exactly, but his corpse was found in the floor of the memorial hall, where the children spend most of their time. They don't play, no one does in here, they just wander around near the graves, daydreaming about nicer places. And the recently killed child with the specter hovering over it is still laying there. No one dares to approach to pick up the body.

I should add building several safehouses around the fortress in case there are dwarves outside to my plan.

The smoke has traveled the whole map twice. I hope it's seasonal.

Fuck, migrants! Let's see...which lever should we pull?

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LEVERS?! I HATE THIS PLACE.

Markedangels - The lever orgy. Hmm. Bridge, bridge, bridge, bridge, bridge...There are bridges everywhere and main entrances everywhere. I'll pull them all. Let's hope they make it.

The way is blocked by a group of zombies.

Such are the times in which heroes are made. A migrant suddenly decides to rip zombies heads and starts hitting one.

Well, none of the levers did anything, but there are some rogue stairs hiding under a pool of blood that are serving as entrance. For both the migrants and zombies, but, there are some heroic dwarves who will stay along the way to fend off zombies until everyone is inside.

So, some zombies got inside. No biggie. He has it under control.

That is, until the zombie ripped his foot off. Now we're in trouble.

WOHOOO! COME INSIDE, BOYS!

After that group, the foot-ripper zombie found the entrance to the lower fort and it had to be forbidden. The migrants, seeing that it was either fight or die, decided to follow the original migrant-soldier and went for the glory. Soon, markedangel's peaceful shore turned into a battlefield.

Meanwhile, foot-ripper, seeing that he couldn't get in, started to wander. The migrants just have to wait to get in.

But it is too much for some dwarves, and they loose control of themselves.

Fortunately, original migrant-soldier is still kicking around, except this time he's fighting fellow dwarves.

BUT DON'T KILL HIM!

Even though the field is full of weapons (unforbidden), the migrants refuse to pick any of them and fight the zombies barehanded, which is very stupid.

The fight is now meaningless. The few remaining undrafted dwarves (not dead) are scattered and away from the entrances.

Foot-ripper and his victim are dancing their eternal tango near the entrance, scaring away everyone.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:49:34 am by xczxc »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 14, 2012, 01:01:02 am »

The only loophole I could see is that theres a LOT of Zombies. Like, at least 50-100 or more. You will either need a positive ton of areas to trap them in, or literal Cage/Weapon Traps to thin them out on their way to the floodgated areas.

Other than that, awesome :) I had a similar plan, for the Asylum. But Youre seeking to get rid of the things. Not just lock them away (Well, not how I was going to, anyway). Good luck, Good Sir!

And about sealing the upper fort: As you may have noticed, 75% of it is already isolated due to the clusterfucks of the past. We wont exactly be losing anything important by scrambling the Craftsdwarf and Mason and Mechanics and stuff down a few levels. This probably should have been done ages ago.

Good turn so far :) Hows the lag treating you?

Oh, and to everyone who says "Oh, the zombies are cowards. Just scare them away" - Consider it proven, yet again, that they are not bloody flowers. They are quite lethal. Yes, im still ragging on about that talk of crossbows, and scare-traps :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:03:32 am by Chilton »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #772 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-I don't know why but I really love your updates ;D

After having spent several nights in my overseer's office, reading the logs of my predecessors, I became increasingly horrified.
-Did you really read all the overseers logs(posts)? Awsome in that case :P

Well, none of the levers did anything, but there are some rogue stairs hiding under a pool of blood that are serving as entrance.

-Total anticlimax xD

Not being able to work because of his rib, Zaluddakost didn't make any crowns for the mayor and is now a criminal.
The short tale of the dwarf Id Zaluddakost.
-Id had always been a peaceful dwarf with small and few aspirations in life. For almost 5 years he had lived quite happily with his brother at one of the survivorcamps but one day the rumors of a strange cult started spreading amongst the dwarves. The cult of the catapult it was called, Id didn't think much of it as he had never been a particularly spiritual induvidual. But the same could not be said about his brother whom suddently had become the major force behind of the spreading the cult. Before Id even had time to realise his situation, Id, his brother and a couple other dwarves set out for the now (in)famous Markedangels. Skipping a few months forward.
Id has now been staying at the outpost for a weeks and has stared getting used to the sounds of the undead gnawing on eachothers limbs and the screams of those who had been locked outside. He lived in constant fear but never let it hurt his morale, he worked hard everyday and tried to live his life the best he could under the circumstances. Then came to accident. He was badly hurt with ribs sticking out his side and a face as white as that of a cavetroll. Many days he lied in a dirty bed flowing in and out of consciousness while hearing the horrid sounds of Markedangels mixed with his own slow and heavy hearbeat. As he thought he was going to die a shady figure dressed in a white robe stepped up to his bed. The docor quickly glanced at Id before he brutually showed his ribs back into his chest. Id was about to join the dying outsiders in their constant screaming and crying but the pain took him away from this world once again.
As he woke up he first thought that he was back at camp but as he smelled the mixture of blood, piss and miasma he remebered where he was. His eyes had not adjusted themself to the light yet but he could see the outline of a face. Id felt a bit warmer inside when he realised that his brother had sat by his side during his recovery. He realised that his brother probably was the only one in this hellhole who cared if he lives or dies...but...The dwarf leaning over him was far to big to be his brother...
The dwarf was now right in his face staring at him with despise, his breath smelled of cheap liquor and rottening catmeat.

-Are you awake? he said with raspy voice so low that Id couldn't tell if he were a dwarf or not...

-y..yes. Id said as he felt dribbles of saliva and old bits of meat hittin his face...

-I am the the sheriff in this sad excuse for and outpost. are you hearing me you sad piece of shit? As his face drew even closer Id could feel his beard on his naked chest.

-y...y..yes. His vision began coming back and the face of the massive dwarf leaning over him became clearer. His face was scarred and his theeth as black as coal, his eyes were sunken deep into his skull as they tend to do after many years of heavy drinking...

-A dwarf who does not follow the law is a criminal. The law is decided by the king. My job is to hurt criminals so badly that they either never will concider commiting a crime again or never be able to commit a crime again.
Not long ago the selfproclaimed king of Markedangels issued an order for a crown. An order for you. And let's say that you did not follow the law of Markedangels what does that make you?
As he said this his face shifted for the murderous look he had earlier to a look of what only could be described as amusement

-B..but I've bee..been badly wo...wo...wounded... The dwarf was now so close that their foreheads almost touched. What had previosly been a hint of amusement in his eyes had now turned to the forced grin of a madman...

-when I'm done with you will wish that you never survived that accident...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nice engraving chillton :)
Could you draw this part "Through the fields of the undying they wandered...few survived and even fewer kept their sanity."
of this

I'll be like a story thingie.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Btw anyone playing tribes?

It's pretty awsome you should try it  :D
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=2019410&utm_campaign=email

Move at over 200kmph
Highly skillbased(no hitscan)
Acually require teamwork
Free(you can get everything in game with xp, maybe not cosmetics)
The fact that I'm playing it should be reason enough etc.
...I feel like I should have posted this elsewere.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:35:49 am by slowpokez »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:54 am »

Sure, why not. Its 2:31am now, so gimme until like, midnight my time tomorrow. Or today. or however that works.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #774 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:39 am »

Sure, why not. Its 2:31am now, so gimme until like, midnight my time tomorrow. Or today. or however that works.
No rush you're talkin to slowpoke afterall...
_____

-How can you always respond so fast?! :o

Im awesome.

- ::)

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 14, 2012, 04:08:46 pm »

The victim made it inside! Still without a foot. Bravo!

Original migrant-soldier is still around, still chasing zombies. He recently took joy in slaughter.

I have ordered the construction of several slabs and copper battle axes. Some of the improvised soldiers became extremely good after some time fighting the zombies. I wonder if a properly equipped squad could have made any difference.

foot-ripper is getting sloppy. He got distracted with some finished goods and the door got forbidden behind him, and in the meantime, two children (yay! (sarcasm)) and one gem cutter (w/e) made it inside.

Some brave dwarves are still fighting, but have lost all hope of surviving.

Others try to satiate their needs in however they can, like drinking foul water.

While it evaporates...he later died.

Around 5 dwarves are still outside, including original migrant-soldier, who is trying to get inside but a single zombie is wandering around the stairs.

Goblins! Great, now THEY can kill the zombies! Let's hope they distract them so the final survivors can get in.

God, everyone is coming here at the same time. It's going to be bloody chaotic.

Strangely, there is a terrifying presser INSIDE the lower fort (blue arrow), who scares the dwarves and gets scared himself. No, he is not a zombie. He is just a regular presser...Hmm...I wonder if they will kill him.

Another ambush appeared, this time made of axegoblins.

A group of dwarves led by "Cain III" decided to kill the poor presser (again, just a regular dwarf (I have no idea why the other dwarves treat him like an enemy. He doesn't show in the kill screen, neither in the others list)). They are chasing him.

He's got nowhere to run!

God dammit! He's really nimble.

Ok, this whole situation is making me uncomfortable. At this point the whole lower fort is after him.

He's not a normal presser.

FINALLY. They got him after a week.

I guess he was just so dirty over the whole immigration deal that they took him for a zombie.

THANK YOU.

Original migrant-soldier, now a legendary everything, has fighted till dehydration, against both zombies and goblins, refusing to go inside. He is the last dwarf in the surface and he will die soon.

Grasshopper man vs goblin, grasshopper vs zombie, zombie vs goblin, dwarf vs goblin, dwarf vs zombie, dwarf vs dwarf. It's all madness.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 14, 2012, 04:22:34 pm »

A crime was committed inside the fort. Some children, inevitably attracted by the presence of death, found a corpse near the mayor's bedroom. Blood everywhere, so it wasn't a vampire dwarf. Not that those things exist, anyway; they are just tales.

Original migrant-soldier (OMS) made it inside! He was the only remaining dwarf outside. A true hero indeed. He got in just in time, because a massive cloud drifted to the fort and all the goblins got zombified.

And bad news, the presser phenomenon is happening again, this time with OMS, so that means that he has to die...

There they go.

But fighting zombies and goblins has made OMS (grey arrow) too tired to continue. He tries to give up, but the dwarves inexplicably continue attacking him. He dies soon afterwards.

Remember the lever? Well, a lever was left unpulled until now...some psycho dwarf build a passage of drawbridges which nearly killed my entire adult workforce. And he didn't labeled the lever! Or perhaps he did, I mean, you just need to get creative with the labels, because bridge, bridge, bridge, bridge, bridge, bridge, isn't working.

A GROUP OF DWARVES GOT OUT. HOW?! NOT AGAIN.

Now you decide to open?! Which lever was it? Everyone get inside!

AND GUESS WHAT? YES, SMOKE.

Our king/mayor was probably involved in this.

Run, little child! Run!

Oh my god! BOTH LEGS! I have ordered an engraved slab for that ghost. We need to purify the fort

But everyone is to busy to care.

Horrible news! The captain of guard sent me the weekly report of missing dwarfs and the list included our beloved master artillerist. A search and rescue team has been formed and we are searching him.

One child stayed in the surface and was able to outrun the zombies most of the time, well, until yet another violent ghost took his left leg. Now he is at the mercy of the zombies.

Cain (not cain III), the ghost, has been put to rest and he went not without stirring the other side one last time, now we have a violent ghost rampage. 3 more children have been hit.

The upper fort is now taken over by the undead.

I built a safe house in case the fortress gets overrun by any type of threat. There is a lever inside that if pulled, will seal the entrance to the safehouse.

The surface is full of unclaimed treasures, left behind by hundreds of dwarves.

I have ordered the construction of the winding tunnels for the zombienihilator. There has been some modifications, though. Inspired by the bridge crushing event, I think it's optimal if instead of collapsing ceilings, there are drawbridges linked to the pressure plates. It's going to be awesome.

I'm starting to suspect there is something going on with the dwarves. My search and rescue team didn't find Cain III, but they discovered some interesting information. The lever that caused the bridge catastrophe wasn't pulled accidentally, it was a murder. They found a strange drawing of a catapult next to it. I've told the team to have the uttermost caution with this...we don't know who might be hearing.

More migrants...I hate them.

They quickly formed a squad to try to get into the upper fortress (which has around 4 zombies inside). They dubbed themselves "The Ochre Manors", or at least that was the scream we heard.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:30:12 pm by xczxc »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #777 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:04 pm »

Once again- I love these updates :P

I'm starting to suspect there is something going on with the dwarves. My search and rescue team didn't find Cain III, but they discovered some interesting information. The lever that caused the bridge catastrophe wasn't pulled accidentally, it was a murder. They found a strange drawing of a catapult next to it. I've told the team to have the uttermost caution with this...we don't know who might be hearing.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 14, 2012, 08:29:59 pm »

Yay. Im not the only one who left an entrance open for a fraction of a second and got people killed :P

Youre as good at Dwarf Fortress as I am! Nearly... ;)
Do you see now, why we need killing machines and not bloody crossbows?

PRAISE BE THE CATAPULT.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 14, 2012, 11:49:51 pm »

I could have sworn my first dorf was slabbed ages ago. Still, kind of amusing to see him going about tearing the legs off small children.

Shame about the ARTILLERIST, I guess we'll have to wait and see what exactly happened to him. Perhaps someone else wanted to lead the Cult of the Catapult? Either way, there must always be a Cain, there must always be an ARTILLERIST.

PRAISE BE THE CATAPULT.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74