Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 74

Author Topic: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living  (Read 134778 times)

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] Markedangels The Water Of Living
« Reply #480 on: April 26, 2012, 10:41:07 am »

But crossbows are a good idea! With all the poor civilians always starving outside, at least they could have a fish bone bolt's chance!

...also, shooting towers.
Ok.
1: We would be making them inside, then *opening the entrance to get them outside*. I opened a single tiny opening, and almost everyone was killed. And We had a highly trained army.
2: Shooting Towers would not only involve going outside, but getting almost everyone outside, because there is an EXTREMELY small number of us, then not getting massacred whilst We build a bloody tower. You realise that Brewster was a nigh overpowered soldier, and He was killed by *ONE OF THE ENEMIES. ONE. LONE. ENEMY. And He killed none of them. He wounded a couple, but thats it. Our Entire Military wound up pinned down on a beach fighting off horde after horde of the things, and I think they killed 1 of the enemy for every 8 of them. Oh, and there was 8 of them.
3: You dont seem to realise that there are literally several dozen of those things out there, and they violently swarm You the splitsecond They are capable. Possibly over a hundred.
4: If They got inside, They can break down doors. They would massacre us.
5: They are extremely impervious to damage.
6: Even if somehow We gave our puny starving depressed dehydrating population Crossbows with Bolts, and assuming We threw them all outside as a Militia, lets say, after rigorous Training (Because somehow Wed be able to rigorously Train without being slaughtered by the multiple Forgotten Beasts downstairs, and the stuff thats killing us off without even needing to be a sentient lifeform, and the People going Berserk, We would then mine open a hole. We started with multiple Pickaxes. We are now lucky to have 1. And for a time, We didnt even have that. Its sheer luck Weve got it back. And those things, as soon as You open ANY Entrance, They begin a wave assault of it. Most of us died in the doorway to the outside within mere seconds, because there was just so damn many of them.
7: Morale and Injuries. Most of us have Poor Morale, and are already Injured on some level.
8: Lets say We got outside, and held them off. There are very regular Smoke Clouds.
8.1: Smoke Clouds would make our highly trained Crossbowmen OUR ENEMY.
8.2: If a Smoke Cloud got inside, We would die very swiftly.
9: We have already attempted far better ideas, and it just got people killed. Every one of us has tried.

Any other wise ideas?  :P

Also, Theyre not so much starving outside, so much as being chased around and killed on a pretty much 24/7 basis.
I believe nr.4 is wrong, I've managed to get zombies stuck in between two doors...

and for ideas what about this:

What do we have a lot of in Markedangels?
1.Zombies
2.Cavefish
3.Children

Now then, why not stick all children in narrow tunnels with doors at the end- zombies go in - nothing comes out. Win Win ,no kids and no zombies! Whatta yall say?

Trolls

This fort is wonderful! I will probably regret this, but can I have a turn? I never did play a Succession game...
In the mean time, I'd like a bowyer (Skilled, or otherwise). There is wood and bone, right? If so, I'd like to make a LOT of crossbows, and then tell everyone to use them.

Yeah, You can have a turn.

One thing but: Giving everyone Crossbows = We'd all be fucking dead. I can guarantee that.
This aint Your average game.
xD

Slowpoke, I invoke You!

Draw a Dwarf with a Crossbow skipping out into the Zombie Legion saying something about how awesome He is with His Crossbow and Bolts.
In the background, have 3 Zombies sneaking inside the Fort from the big wide open Entrance, and about 50 Zombies charging at Him from the front, roaring like psychotic lunatics.
At the bottom, have just in text, "Fighting Zombies with a Crossbow. This is totally how We can Win this particular Conflict. Have Fun With That Ya Dolt!"
GET TO IT!

Id Draw it, but I have some work to do, and cant really dedicate time to Drawing :(
I'm afraid I'll have to put that on hold since there are four major tests this week and the last one is tomorrow. :P

Yay!

I actually managed to let a few people in without dying horribly, mostly due to abusing the fact that these zombies don't particularly care to break doors down, even the trolls, my deaths were due to the FB and the tantrum spiral that resulted.

Those children are a valuable resource, they are the only source of new workers, also they provide handy targets for when Vieto tantrums, better he beats up a kid instead of one of the productive members of the fort.

I can't believe I advocated child abuse as a distraction tactic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:42:45 am by Chilton »
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #481 on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:45 am »

But crossbows are a good idea! With all the poor civilians always starving outside, at least they could have a fish bone bolt's chance!

...also, shooting towers.
Ok.
1: We would be making them inside, then *opening the entrance to get them outside*. I opened a single tiny opening, and almost everyone was killed. And We had a highly trained army.
2: Shooting Towers would not only involve going outside, but getting almost everyone outside, because there is an EXTREMELY small number of us, then not getting massacred whilst We build a bloody tower. You realise that Brewster was a nigh overpowered soldier, and He was killed by *ONE OF THE ENEMIES. ONE. LONE. ENEMY. And He killed none of them. He wounded a couple, but thats it. Our Entire Military wound up pinned down on a beach fighting off horde after horde of the things, and I think they killed 1 of the enemy for every 8 of them. Oh, and there was 8 of them.
3: You dont seem to realise that there are literally several dozen of those things out there, and they violently swarm You the splitsecond They are capable. Possibly over a hundred.
4: If They got inside, They can break down doors. They would massacre us.
5: They are extremely impervious to damage.
6: Even if somehow We gave our puny starving depressed dehydrating population Crossbows with Bolts, and assuming We threw them all outside as a Militia, lets say, after rigorous Training (Because somehow Wed be able to rigorously Train without being slaughtered by the multiple Forgotten Beasts downstairs, and the stuff thats killing us off without even needing to be a sentient lifeform, and the People going Berserk, We would then mine open a hole. We started with multiple Pickaxes. We are now lucky to have 1. And for a time, We didnt even have that. Its sheer luck Weve got it back. And those things, as soon as You open ANY Entrance, They begin a wave assault of it. Most of us died in the doorway to the outside within mere seconds, because there was just so damn many of them.
7: Morale and Injuries. Most of us have Poor Morale, and are already Injured on some level.
8: Lets say We got outside, and held them off. There are very regular Smoke Clouds.
8.1: Smoke Clouds would make our highly trained Crossbowmen OUR ENEMY.
8.2: If a Smoke Cloud got inside, We would die very swiftly.
9: We have already attempted far better ideas, and it just got people killed. Every one of us has tried.

Any other wise ideas?  :P

Also, Theyre not so much starving outside, so much as being chased around and killed on a pretty much 24/7 basis.
I believe nr.4 is wrong, I've managed to get zombies stuck in between two doors...

and for ideas what about this:

What do we have a lot of in Markedangels?
1.Zombies
2.Cavefish
3.Children

Now then, why not stick all children in narrow tunnels with doors at the end- zombies go in - nothing comes out. Win Win ,no kids and no zombies! Whatta yall say?

Trolls
Stupid trolls always trolling my plans!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 26, 2012, 11:35:59 am »

First of all, this is the char idea I had, not saying it's the salvation idea :) I just want a guy who'll make crossbows, and then try to push them onto EVERYONE.

Secondly, I totally think I'm thinking out of the box! Are there any walls outside? Put marksdwarves on them! Are there no walls outside? Replace some walls with fortifications!

Nobody has to go outside. I know how deadly this beach is. But fortifications remove that issue to an extent, and you can work outwards!

Or even better - create a moat from underground (ramp up, remove ramp, repeat) and then build a tower in the middle of that moat.

EDIT: For safety's sake, suspend that tower on 4x supports, attached to a lever. If they get zombified by a cloud, destroy it!

See? Pincushion zombies!

EDIT: I like the child bait idea! To add to deadliness, make the walls of the corridor into fortifications, and put volunteers with crossbows behind them. Traps can only kill so many before they jam!]

CROSSBOWS!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:39:06 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »

As a thought - using the above method (ramp, remove ramp) would we not be able to dig a hole under the anvils outside?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 26, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »

As a thought - using the above method (ramp, remove ramp) would we not be able to dig a hole under the anvils outside?
Great idea, actually, as long as you dig an empty space around the ramp to be carved _before_ it's carved (to prevent any of our husky friends from climbing down).
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 26, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »

Great idea, actually, as long as you dig an empty space around the ramp to be carved _before_ it's carved (to prevent any of our husky friends from climbing down).

That would be really hard, if not impossible - you can only create ramps up, not empty spaces. Instead, you'd want to have a square room with double doors leading into it, create a burrow and put the miner into it, lock the doors, and do one ramp at a time.

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 26, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »

For some reason i have an urge to write more so here it is:
I'll put in dates when I get overseer due to me not wanting to try and sync my stories with the current date.

ALSO: Is there currently a player/general? Cause I'd like that slot if not.

OFF-TOPIC: Best DF god ever
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:43:06 pm by ninjanomnom »

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:03 pm »

There is NO WAY my guy will ever use a crossbow. It is the right of all beings to have their killer look at them in the eyes at least once.

EDIT: Chilton, the zombies in the map of my fortress never break down doors ever. Idk what you are talking about.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »

There is NO WAY my guy will ever use a crossbow. It is the right of all beings to have their killer look at them in the eyes at least once.

If I get a dwarf, I will try REALLY hard to convince you. Take this crossbow. TAKE IT!

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 26, 2012, 12:48:14 pm »

Did you read my guy's story? It's on page 30 I believe.

You know what we should get? An IRC channel.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »

That would be really hard, if not impossible - you can only create ramps up, not empty spaces. Instead, you'd want to have a square room with double doors leading into it, create a burrow and put the miner into it, lock the doors, and do one ramp at a time.

You know, I'm actually wrong on this. If you create a ramp, and then a ramp below it, you get an empty space above.

So..
Code: [Select]
Legend:
_ = floor
^ = ramp
X = ground
O = door

___
OXX
OXX

to

_ _
O^X
OXX

to

_ _
O X
O^X

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 26, 2012, 12:52:02 pm »

I have a feeling that you didn't get my point.
-----
-ddd-
-drd-
-ddd-
--+--

Legend:
- untouched rock or soil
d empty space
r ramp (below wanted items)
+ door

1. The 'd' bits (only) are dug.
2. The 'r' is carved as a ramp, punching a hole through the roof (or ground or whatever -- damn it's disorienting to think like a dorf).
3. Collect desired items that fall through roof.
4. Nasties never enter (ramp does not allow movement without adjacent walls).
5. Can be sealed to appease the paranoid members of the fortress.

FAKE-Edit: AHHH --- NINJA!!

Edit: I think this is still valid.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:53:35 pm by Vodrilus »
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »

It HAS to get blocked off.
One word: Fog

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 26, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

It HAS to get blocked off.
One word: Fog

Doesn't Abominable Smoke travel on 1z only? Or does it spill across pits and walls?

ninjanomnom

• Bay Watcher
  • Coder in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 26, 2012, 01:41:23 pm »

If a part of it goes down the entire cloud follows, I found this out the hard way once.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 74