Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An army of 2600 elves?  (Read 3885 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: An army of 2600 elves?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

why prevent that from happening ?

the chance of 2600 elves attacking your fort will make you think twice about cutting that tree

and it will make you think thrice about deadly magma traps

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 07:47:00 am »

Actually, 2600 elves may not be THAT bad for adventure mode. Sure, it's hella slow, and you've got the possibility to overfill your entire ingame message log in one turn, but the experiment involving 2000 bats in a random encounter was quite manageable, even though I never managed to combat the bats - they all ran (or flew) away.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

Elfy Treeswallow:
Our arrows will block out the sun!

Urist Uristurist:
Good, we're all cave adapted.

And just for good measure:
THIS
IS
COPPERBLAZES!!!!!

Shoes...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>THIS
IS
MOUNTAINBANNERS!!!!!</STRONG>

Fixed.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Dude...

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
Fixed.

No, not fixed. So not fixed.

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
THIS
IS
COPPERBLAZES!!!!!

Ahhh, there we go.
Sparta = epic and old.
Mountainbanners: epic but not so old. Dwarven Engineering, but not spartan.
Copperblazes: Epic and old! Dwarven Sparta, ok maybe not. But still awesome
Plus it was done in the 2D version, where the option to do quite as much was not available.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

You couldn't kick anybody off of anything in Copperblazes.

Now, let's lay that poor, tired movie to rest for a while, shall we?  It's starting to show wear from all the shouting.  Also, nobody says anything about it being an accurate representation of Spartans or Persians.

Back to DF.  I do think that the combat messages would indeed need to be toned down to accommodate such massively huge fights.  I think that adventure mode should stick to smaller raiding parties and such anyways, since you can't really watch battles in Adv. mode, and if you were part of the fight you would hardly be able to get a single slice in before all your prospective targets got butchered.  Or the other way around.

Fortress mode, on the other hand, could always use more troops clogging up the CPU.  Once siege defenses have been worked out a bit, so that goblins can get inside and peasants can be reliably kept inside, then there's nothing holding back on a few more war parties of goblins trailing along with the bigger sieges to throw themselves at you.  The more corpses the merrier, I always say.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
You couldn't kick anybody off of anything in Copperblazes.

There is the... I don't know giant endless chasm.
But yeah ok, epic battle with 1000's of troops would be awesome. If only I had a CPU capable of running something like that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 02:38:00 am »

Hmm, I thought I replied to this last night...

Anyways, the Copperblazes chasm was boarded up.  You'd have to walk quite a distance away from everything else before you could come to a spot that was open, and then try to kick something off.  Seeing as there's nothing around those areas, you'd also have to bring along the kickee.  Good luck.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

quote:
Also, nobody says anything about it being an accurate representation of Spartans or Persians

Mostly because well... It isn't a accurate representation at all... IGNORING the exagerated fights, the ability to perfectly tame Rhinos, any anything spawned for action... it is far from accurate.

Unless you meant that as a joke...

Anyhow how would you even feed 2600 elves? (How the HECK could a elven Forest even support 2600 elves!?!)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 03:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Anyhow how would you even feed 2600 elves? (How the HECK could a elven Forest even support 2600 elves!?!)</STRONG>
They're elves, dude.  They live on nectar, manna, and ambrosia.  Flowers bloom in their footfalls, bunnies and Bambies gambol around them, their music is a gateway to the land of faerie, and rainbows shimmer wherever they have been.  ;)

*is tarred and feathered by a dwarven mob*

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

Yes... but unless the elves are the world's greatest fasters in the WORLD (which them having "Thin" clothes has SOME indication)... Id think they would require a LOT of nectar, manna, and ambrosia...

I mean... This isn't a heard of 100 elves... this is 2600 elves... who possibly have three times that in total... so over 8000 elves total in one forest...

What the HECK sorta mutant flowers and trees grow in that forest!?! and why the heck havn't those trees and flowers taken over the world!?!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

Well, it as "a gigantic forest", so I guess it covered something like half the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 03:46:00 am »

It must have been the most epic forest that ever did grace the world of Dwarf Fortress.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 03:56:00 am »

I made the comment about the Spartans and Persians because there happen to be a lot of people who really do think it's an accurate depiction (aside from the "obvious" stuff, such as the mutants).  Having to explain, nay, argue Spartan history with someone like that is at times ridiculously funny, at others utterly depresssing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

I know how you feel Kagus

It was hard telling people that the movie Pocahuntus (I can never spell the name so DROP IT!!!) actually happened... Except... Almost no where close to how the movie potrayed it. (Surprised to see that the second movie happened as well... except almost no where close to how the movie potrayed it...)

Pages: 1 [2] 3