Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An army of 2600 elves?  (Read 3886 times)

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An army of 2600 elves?
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

This game can already be slow at the best of times on a Core 2, so how will the game be able to cope with the vast epicness that's to come?

* Will there be a refinement of the game code that will dramatically increase efficiency?

* Will there be hard limits on the number of troops who are involved in a battle?

* Will the game be tweaked in order to prevent armies of this size from forming?

* Wouldn't a massive Elf population make the Dwarfs and Humans terrified of the prospect of an Elf dominated world? Would they be willing to form an alliance with the Goblins in such a desperate situation?

* When are you going to introduce mounts into the game? Will there be gameplay balances that will discourage players from building an army of elephant mounted Marksdwarfs? The simplest solution would be for animals to require food, horses need hay, elephants need trees, cave crocodiles need Elves, etc.

[ April 30, 2008: Message edited by: John Hopoate ]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: An army of 2600 elves?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

I'm sure we won't really see that many of these armies ourselves. And when we do, it'll probably be edited to make things better.

I don't want to have five screen of battle events in adventure mode every step if accidentally taking place in a battle...

Chasm creatures are bad enough as it is.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>I'm sure we won't really see that many of these armies ourselves. And when we do, it'll probably be edited to make things better.

I don't want to have five screen of battle events in adventure mode every step if accidentally taking place in a battle...

Chasm creatures are bad enough as it is.</STRONG>

Yeah. A good idea would be hiding these messages unless it involve you, or things happening in, say, 6 tiles away... And maybe only processing the nearby events, while elves 5 screens away should only get some simple dice rolls to determine if they die or not.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Moving those messages to a child window would be best IMO. Probably not possible with the engine as it is tho.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

I don't want to imagine how slowly DF would run during the process, but killing an army of 2600 elves with a megatrap would really make my day... I hope they do show up in such numbers!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

I think an army of 2600 is pretty much the only thing that can kill Captain Ironblood now. Not by hitting him, but by occupying him for so long that he starves.

Wait, that won't work, need much more for that.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

Remember - These things aren't actually happening. It's just numbers and test happening at World Generation. I doubt we'll see an army even a fraction of that size, and if we do, it'll be over multiple regions.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>I think an army of 2600 is pretty much the only thing that can kill Captain Ironblood now. Not by hitting him, but by occupying him for so long that he starves.

Wait, that won't work, need much more for that.</STRONG>

Assuming Captain Ironblood doesn't have [NOEXERT], they can kill him much faster than starvation could.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

Yeah.  It's one thing to say that a World War had, say, a million troops on each side.  That doesn't mean they all ran up to a single battlefield and shot at each other until one side won.  Even when you've got thousands of people involved in a single assault, it was rarely the entire force at once.  I'd expect that there would be many skirmishes and different groups breaking off from the main army.  I mean there's only so much space to occupy.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

Especially considering elves favor sniping so heavily. 2600 elves, all in/around trees, picking off goblins that stray too close, slowly advancing in from all directions is how I envision this happening. No LOTR (MOVIE) style gigantor battles with thousands of morons all lined up to be exploded by a demon fireball or what have you.
火族

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

No, no, NO!  All the elves walked up together on a single tile, with one of them standing and 2599 lying underneath him!  They then shot a simultaneous volley of 2600 arrows at any goblin who got close.  Just like wars in real life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

I wonder what happens when they all run out of ammo...

Though 2600 x 30 is enough arrows to take down the Bronze Collosus

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

When they run out of ammo, they set up a craftelf workshop to make bone arrows.

However, I do long to light elves on fire and see them kill their entire army while my army runs away.  If they're anything like dwarves...it'll spread.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

I imagine that most large scale conflicts would miss your settlement. You could send out a massive army of dwarves assembled from your neighboring metro area while keeping the core city's army at home, and the battle would take place offscreen at a strategical level. You could give general orders like "adopt a defensive stance" or "all-out-charge" or "skirmish but don't engage fully" or "delay" or "observe" or "ambush"... but you wouldn't see individual troops. At the end you'd just get casualty reports and a strategic result, as well as a report about what the enemy army and your army is now doing (retreating, stopping the offensive and holding position, etc)

Of course, this is just how I imagine a strategical army system would work. :P

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

Hmm... Perhaps there comes some kind of stacking penalty or another thing which prevents mass armies, you know, you may not have enough non-spoiled food in one location or like that. Second option might be formations: If formation combat is someday implemetented, a creature in formation might not use so much AI, since possibly the formation has an AI of its own.
Pages: [1] 2 3