Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern spores on reclaim  (Read 593 times)

RichTBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern spores on reclaim
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:27 am »

So my current fortress 'Authoredglazes' is starting to look pretty good, just about to set up my metal industry properly.

I was planning on trying out some underground tree farms, as i have like 5 levels of soil on the embark.

Thing is, i reclaimed this fort. My first attempt was cut very short by some alligators right next to the caravan.

I know reclaimed embarks have no mud in the caverns, but it never really occurred to me what that would mean, other than no farms down there. I've just breached it and of course there is no vegetation down there. I'm waiting for the spores to start growing in my tree farm, but nothing is happening.

I've breached the cavern in the past and noticed moss and stuff growing in my fort quite quickly a number of times.

Does anyone know if i should bother waiting? is there anything i can try? such as irrigating some of the cavern?

I was looking forward to my tree farm =[

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern spores on reclaim
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:11:38 am »

You could try breaching one of the other caverns, if you've only opened the first. Not sure if it would work.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RichTBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:49 am »

You could try breaching one of the other caverns, if you've only opened the first. Not sure if it would work.

Well I didn't breach the first one on my first try. First time I breached it was during the reclaim.

I assume the other layers are the same, but I'll have a look

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:22:20 pm »

No mud in caverns on reclaimed embarks? Really? That seems awfully broken. What if you irrigate a cavern area? Doe that cause the vegetation to begin growing again?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:25 pm »

Do have a look at the other caverns.  Some caverns have no vegetation, and so won't pollinate for tree farms.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.