Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: violently changing ownership of keeps/forts  (Read 2158 times)

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
violently changing ownership of keeps/forts
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:33 am »

possible? i can go in and kill everyone, obviously, but will they just pick a new leader? repop non leader mobs? or will it be up for grabs and any civ will get it? anyone familiar with these mechanics?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: violently changing ownership of keeps/forts
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:22:44 am »

It takes time to elect a new leader, as far as I know.

So, No to all. Except for the last question.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:27 am »

People in Adventurer Mode don't do anything right now except for hanging around in houses, waiting to give out quests or being recruited. All the interesting stuff happens in world gen.
So yeah, if you killed someone of an important position, this position will be empty forever.

This will change when Toady gets to Caravan Arc Release 5.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:05:06 pm »

Actually I beleive (im about 80% sure im wrong about this one) that when you abandon a fortress, world gen runs again for a quick little burst to convert into then factor the ruins of said fort into the world map and its impact on the roads or whatever it does behind the scenes. I think that if your extremely lucky the transition of power could occur within this time frame....maybe... but probably not because I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

But yeah it definatley wont occur while your adventurer is still active/still has ownership of all of his internal orgins.
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:00 pm »

Actually I beleive (im about 80% sure im wrong about this one) that when you abandon a fortress, world gen runs again for a quick little burst to convert into then factor the ruins of said fort into the world map and its impact on the roads or whatever it does behind the scenes.

This is kinda what I was planning on doing as a potential work around.. it advances your game to spring of the next year if you abandon your fort then reclaim it. Whether or not it works out remains to be seen.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:07:55 pm »

I've found that if you take a civ leader out of there keep, members of the civ will say there is no capitol until the civ leader makes it to a town.  Then that's the new capitol.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:51:35 pm »

Actually I beleive (im about 80% sure im wrong about this one) that when you abandon a fortress, world gen runs again for a quick little burst to convert into then factor the ruins of said fort into the world map and its impact on the roads or whatever it does behind the scenes. I think that if your extremely lucky the transition of power could occur within this time frame....maybe... but probably not because I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

But yeah it definatley wont occur while your adventurer is still active/still has ownership of all of his internal orgins.
It skips to the next nearest first day of spring, which in most cases is a year.