Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatching Giant Birds  (Read 1719 times)

Mewchu11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hatching Giant Birds
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:57:54 am »

So through a little elf luck I found a breeding pair of giant gray parrots. I've tried to go about getting some baby giant gray parrots (giant baby gray parrots?) but it seems that the whole "if it's been two seasons they aren't fertilized" rule isn't working for me because it's been many years without anything and statistically I'm beginning to doubt that they are were all duds.

So has anyone hatched any giant eggs? Do they take a long period of time? Or do giant eggs just never hatch for whatever reason?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hatching Giant Birds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:45:14 am »

make sure that nothing interrupts the mother from her hatching duties.  In order for eggs to hatch, the mother needs to be able to sit on them without having a dwarf step onto her nestbox square.  In my experience, if a dwarf so much as walks over the nest the mother will continue to sit but the eggs will never hatch.

This challenge is compounded by the fact that in order to remove dud eggs, the dwarf must step onto the nestbox square.  The mother is ready to lay more eggs a few months after the previous set were laid, so she is probably ready and then some when you decide you have duds.  The dwarf steps into her nest, gets the duds, and she lays the new - which get 'broken' instantly because the dwarf is standing there, but she continues to sit.  The dwarf goes away with the old duds and you hopefully watch the new duds, likely repeating the process for a while before you catch onto this icky game. ( I discovered this pattern when I wondered why my ankylosaurs were only able to hatch their first litters - when I set my dwarves to lead the babies away they were usually stepping into the nest at some point - removed that from happening and started to get a LOT more successful nests).  I've had some nests hatch well that I totally ignored, but where there were many baby animals around - so animals stepping into a nest clearly wont break the eggs, but keep those dwarves away or else.

The way to break this double-dud clutching is to remove both sets of eggs and give Mom enough time to be ready to lay a hopefully fertile third batch, or else lead Mom away and cage her, clear the nest, then release her and let her do her thing.

Two other things that appear to break eggs - attempting to train Mom into a warbeast (this is an issue with ankylosaurs, but probably not parrots) - or moving Mom off of the nest for any reason (if you do that she likely wont try to go back on until she's ready to lay again.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Mewchu11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:01 am »

Yes I was aware of all these things, but thank you for writing that out all the same.

It really is just a matter of trying to get a timescale for this sort of thing. I know there was some line of thinking that larger eggs take longer to hatch but from the raws it doesn't actually seem like giant modification actually changes the size of the eggs, just the size of the creature that lays them (unless CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC accounts for that).

Normal grey parrot eggs are of size 40. If CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC does apply to the eggs then giant grey parrot eggs are of size 20280 (bigger than a dwarven child!). If the time it takes for eggs to hatch is linear with their size it would be small wonder it would take forever... but I just don't know

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:44 am »

Grey parrots have [PET_EXOTIC], which means they won't breed.  Presumably giant grey parrots share this tag.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

Grey parrots have [PET_EXOTIC], which means they won't breed.  Presumably giant grey parrots share this tag.

I thought that [PET], [PET_EXOTIC], [MOUNT], or [MOUNT_EXOTIC] were requried for an animal to breed. If this is incorrect, then what governs a creature's ability to breed?

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:20:27 pm »

I thought that [PET], [PET_EXOTIC], [MOUNT], or [MOUNT_EXOTIC] were requried for an animal to breed. If this is incorrect, then what governs a creature's ability to breed?

The "giant" variation actually removes all these tags, which might be the problem. Elves can still tame them with their disgusting animal "husbandry," but if these tags are indeed required for them to breed, giant creatures won't do it.

Though if egg size is modified by the same factor, that would also mean that incubation would last absurdly long. Either way, you're screwed unless you want to fiddle with the raws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »

[PET] or possibly [MOUNT] are required to breed.  [PET_EXOTIC] or [MOUNT_EXOTIC]  would work if he dungeon master wasn't bugged, but they don't do anything at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:33:54 pm »

[PET] or possibly [MOUNT] are required to breed.  [PET_EXOTIC] or [MOUNT_EXOTIC]  would work if he dungeon master wasn't bugged, but they don't do anything at the moment.

Are you saying that animals will only breed when tamed, and that wild animals will not breed even if they have [PET]?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »

Uh, no.  Animals with [PET] will breed if they're tame or if they're wild.  Animals with [PET_EXOTIC] won't breed if tamed or wild.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »

Uh, no.  Animals with [PET] will breed if they're tame or if they're wild.  Animals with [PET_EXOTIC] won't breed if tamed or wild.

So what's the relevance of the Dungeon Master? [PET_EXOTIC] animals, whether tame or wild, will start breeding when the Dungeon Master shows up?

I'm not sure how to process the idea that the Dungeon Master is actually sneaking around artificially inseminating the most wild of beasts.

Edit: IF the Dungeon Master could show up, of course.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:53 pm »

giant baby gray parrots?

'Giant gray parrot  child'
[Signature]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:06 am »

So what's the relevance of the Dungeon Master? [PET_EXOTIC] animals, whether tame or wild, will start breeding when the Dungeon Master shows up?

The Dungeon Master never shows up, and if you mod the raw files to make him manually appointed, nothing happens when he shows up.  Exotic animal breeding is completely broken in the current version.  Back in 40d when the Dungeon Master actually worked, [PET_EXOTIC] animals, wild or tame, would start breeding when he appeared.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:00 am »

Back in 40d when the Dungeon Master actually worked, [PET_EXOTIC] animals, wild or tame, would start breeding when he appeared.

Haha, guess the Dungeon Master releases some funky pheromones that put the exotics in the mood.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:27 am »

Back in 40d when the Dungeon Master actually worked, [PET_EXOTIC] animals, wild or tame, would start breeding when he appeared.

Haha, guess the Dungeon Master releases some funky pheromones that put the exotics in the mood.
Haven't you seen a dwarf wearing only a loincloth and cloak before? Hubba hubba.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:10 pm »

Haven't you seen a dwarf wearing only a loincloth and cloak before? Hubba hubba.
Some times you need a loudspeaker, a Barry White CD and a 55 Gallon drum of Lube.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.