Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: making all civs use towns  (Read 1325 times)

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
making all civs use towns
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:46:41 am »

as the thread title states, in lieu of having other townlike sites for other rices what i'd like to do is have all civs use the town / keep / tomb template, hopefully not only having their civilians there but also leaders for each civ. what i've done is made each race's default site type town, made them prefer it as a living site, and added fortification building and tomb building flags. is there anything else i need to do, especially to spawn fortresses/keeps? I can't seem to find them for races other than human despite my modifications.

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: making all civs use towns
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:16:34 am »

managed to enable each civ to make hamlets/towns. not seen any tombs or fortresses yet for non humans, but here's hoping.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:20:47 am »

[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] for forts
[BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] for tombs

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:25:30 am »

while i have enabled these flags for each civ, i've not managed to locate any such sites during testing. can you confirm that they work?

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:42:42 am »

they do work, thanks, each civ is now happily producing keeps and tombs :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:48:29 am »

Mountains screw up cities and such, so you should probably change the tokens for dwarves and goblins to be other types of biomes.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kompressormight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:26 am »

yes, i did that already, as well as for elves actually. everybody's fighting for space in a big melee, it's great. now the problems are goblins getting exterminated too early (due to lack of technology?) and generating bandrity appropriately. if i turn banditry on, will humans / elves / dwarves etc. attack enemies? Will they attack neutrals / allies?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:28 am »

You can set the preferred biome to be something like "non-freezing", so there is less competition for space.  Except for goblins, they tend to survive better in tundras.  Things like forests and swamps are fine for building cities, it's just the massive elevation changes of mountains screw everything up.

You can also use the advanced worldgen parameters to weight middle-elevations into being more frequent, and setting it to not reject the world if you don't have enough peaks after erosion.

Goblins tend to constantly be at war with everyone and have low population totals in their dark fortresses.  That leads to them typically losing wars through attrition alone, if nothing else.  Keeping them away from the other civs (by keeping them in tundras, glaciers, and mountains for example) would give them a better shot at survival.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:25:01 am »

You can set the preferred biome to be something like "non-freezing", so there is less competition for space.  Except for goblins, they tend to survive better in tundras.  Things like forests and swamps are fine for building cities, it's just the massive elevation changes of mountains screw everything up.

You can also use the advanced worldgen parameters to weight middle-elevations into being more frequent, and setting it to not reject the world if you don't have enough peaks after erosion.

Goblins tend to constantly be at war with everyone and have low population totals in their dark fortresses.  That leads to them typically losing wars through attrition alone, if nothing else.  Keeping them away from the other civs (by keeping them in tundras, glaciers, and mountains for example) would give them a better shot at survival.

glad im not the only one who has  seen the goblin-tundra effect. 

but, there is one thing ... babysnatcher.  goblins bolster their population with snatched children, and the children of children, etc.  my current goblin fortress test world has a large, thriving goblin civ living in towns and forts (they dont build tombs, though).  some of the dwarven and human goblins in this civ have been in it for 3-4 generations, at least, in a 550 year world.

i also gave goblins religion, so they build temples in their towns.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:43 pm »

Back in 0.28.x, the most fearsome warriors in the land were elves who were raised in a different culture.

Goblins tended to hit their repopulation cap, and stop having children with their farmers and snatchers, with the only remaining fertile civ members being military that got killed.  So their armies were entirely comprised with snatched children.

I had one elf girl in my legends mode who was kidnapped as a child. At the age of 12, she was given some iron armor, and sent off to nearly single-handedly turn back an elven army of 300 or so elves.  She hit legendary in her first battle, with 127 kills, although the three other snatched children she was fighting with all died early. 

She lived for two more years, racking up over 300 elf kills before she was finally attacked by a human army, who used non-wooden weapons, and where she was killed in basically the first round of combat by a human marksman.  She was 14 years old.

My legends mode was basically filled with that same story over and over and over again.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 05:26:27 pm »

well, history shows that training children through brutal desensitizing methods produces brutally effective young soldiers...

also true in DF, as im sure a certain turkey obsessed person can tell you.