Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need to set lots of caged dwarves free...  (Read 728 times)

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need to set lots of caged dwarves free...
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »

A titan appeared on my map and started spitting webs all over the place. Now I have my whole entrance full of webbed cage traps and 20+ of my dorfs ran into them and got caught. Is there an easier way to set them free without attaching a lever and tons of mechanisms to the cages? I canīt pit them, I canīt pasture them, ...

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need to set lots of caged dwarves free...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:10:22 am »

I think you can use build cage menu (b - j ?), choose a specific cage with a dwarf with "x", then free him with "q" on cage

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30:38 am »

In the "q" menu you donīt have any option to set them free - even if they are your own people. Currently my mechanic is busy linking them all to a lever while they are slowly going insane.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50:08 am »

q on the cage, "a" for assign, then enter on your dwarf to free him

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:39 am »

To minimize casualties, you might want to designate a large crew of caretakers, who have only feed patients labor added.  (It worked in 32.25.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:51:53 am »

Additionally you can enable mechanic labor on many free dwarves, build a bunch of levers, and assign each cage to its own lever.  This allows a mass production effect to happen, each unskilled mechanic will place a lever, place the mechanisms, and the whole process will happen in just about the amount of time it takes to prepare to free one dwarf.  Don't already have that many mechanisms?  Then additionally build several workshops, and with your many/all dwarves with mechanics turned on, make what you must have and fast.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:55:52 am »

q on the cage, "a" for assign, then enter on your dwarf to free him

I tried that, but I think it didnīt work. But maybe nobody bothered about the order. Almost everybody was unhappy at that moment, tantrums everywhere. Or maybe itīs currently broken? When was the last time you had to uncage dwarves?

Anyways, facing that situation I enabled mechanics on a couple more dwarves, forbid any items I could find outside and was hoping for the best. But only one of the mechanics started doing his job, and only some few caged dwarves got food and water. Half of them died of dehydration before they were set free.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:16:37 am »

On a related note... I started collecting the hill titan webs and made silk thread from them... but to my disappointment it seems to be worth next to nothing, value 6* compared to rope reed tread which is worth 22*. But I guess having a trapped titan might still be fun somehow...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:45:23 am »

IIRC megabeast/& silk is fireproof.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:07:08 pm »

Iīm wondering... will the webs shoot through fortifications? Since the titan has a copper body he would be a nice target practise if I equip my marksmen with wooden bolts, right? Or should I better place him 1z deeper than my archers? I noticed that he can shoot his webs only on the same level, not up or down...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:54 pm »

They will shoot through fortifications.  I found out that FBs shoot even without path, and I expect titans work the same.

You should try the 1 z-level deeper thing, just be careful to make the pit wide enough to give your marksdwarves LOS without coming right up next to the pit (which they would need to do if the pit was only 1x1)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »

Iīm open for suggestions how to realize that because I would like to avoid any more casualties... Itīs the first special creature I ever caught and it did already cost me half of my population and almost threw the remaining guys into a tantrum spiral. But Iīm lucky and a new bunch of innocent migrants arrived with perfect timing and helped cleaning all the mess and the situation starts to relax now.

Anyways... 2z deep pit? 1z deep and fortifications on the top level? Will they be able to shoot down diagonally through fortifications?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:38:20 pm »

I believe something like this will work:

Code: [Select]

z level 0

_____
 _..._
 _..._
 _..._
 _____

z level -1

#####
 #FFF#
 #F_F#
 #FFF#
 #####

But the marksdwarves will still need to be very close to the titan.  And I haven't tested this.

The real problem is getting him where you want him.  I believe they're trapavoid.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:46:23 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »