Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Filthy Muck Covering?  (Read 2725 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Filthy Muck Covering?
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »

The southeast corner of my map is always raining filthy muck... those smart elves decide to enter from this direction.  When they arrive all their supplies they're trying to sell have the "filthy muck covering" tag. 

QUESTIONS:
  1) Is it safe to purchase and use any of this stuff?
  2) Does the "filthy muck covering" have any bad side effects, such as spreading to other clean items?
  3) Should I not purchase anything from them because all their supplies are tainted with this stuff?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filthy Muck Covering?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:15 pm »

1. Probably. It depends on what, exactly, filthy much does. Since the elves actually got to your trade depot, it's probably not too bad, though. It won't actually affect anyone who uses the item, though if you ever happen to make a dwarf bath, the covering on those items will be cleaned off and anyone passing through that tile will be exposed momentarily until the space is cleaned.

2. It doesn't have bad side effects, no, though its bad primary effects could be horrible. Still, again, since the elves actually lived to get to your trade depot, it probably isn't super terrible. There's basically no circumstances where it will spread to other clean items unless washed off, and once washed off it's usually basically contained in the square it got washed off into and the tile may eventually be cleaned by a dwarf if those nearby are smoothed, constructed, or engraved.

3. That's probably not a reason not to trade with the elves, though I'm sure you can think of other ways they've offended you.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:23 pm »

1. Depends on what it does. Check their health; if they aren't dead or suffocating, it might be okay. Then again, it might not.

2. Depends on what it is. It could cause mild bruising, it could cause total destruction of the nervous system, etc.

3. You should never purchase from elves when you can steal from them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:40 pm »

I advise avoiding the stuff. If it does in fact work like forgotten beast syndromes then it is possible that every dwarf who touched it will abruptly have their eyes rot out a few years down the line.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:57:55 pm »

I advise avoiding the stuff. If it does in fact work like forgotten beast syndromes then it is possible that every dwarf who touched it will abruptly have their eyes rot out a few years down the line.

...That would be a good thing.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:05:13 pm »

You should probably give the elves a cleansing magma rinse before trading with them just to be sure.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »

I just sent them on their way... the animals hauling the wagons seemed to be immune to the filthy muck, but all the other elves were covered with blisters and bruises.

I was hoping to see a variety of evil rains, but there's only filthy muck over and over.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:03 am »

2 solutions come to mind

Roof the entire embark or clean the elves with HOT disinfectant

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:15:44 am »

I just sent them on their way... the animals hauling the wagons seemed to be immune to the filthy muck, but all the other elves were covered with blisters and bruises.

I was hoping to see a variety of evil rains, but there's only filthy muck over and over.

The rains and mists are randomly generated, but there will generally only be one (more than enough!) per embark.

3. Run Resize Enable

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:07:33 pm »

There's only one way to solve this !!Science!! and !!Magma!!

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »

I would be tempted to try washing away the flilthy muck on the southeast side of the map if it wasn't raining the stuff all the time.  It happens so often it's not worth the effort of building an elabore controlled dam

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »

I would be tempted to try washing away the flilthy muck on the southeast side of the map if it wasn't raining the stuff all the time.  It happens so often it's not worth the effort of building an elabore controlled dam
I have no words for this... atrocity
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »

There's very little on the wiki or in the forums about Filthy Muck Rains/Coverings... so I'll share what I've learned.

A) Anyone (except animal merchants) walking thru terrain with filthy muck will have their body covered with bruises and blisters.  These individuals never heal and will eventually be unable to work.  One fella of mine was listed as "incredibly quick to heal" and would not heal.

B) This does not appear to spread to others(thank_heavens) unless they wear/use something covered in filthy muck.

C) Plants are destroyed, trees remain yet look different and probably not good, and any ponds of water will be drained empty by the filthy muck... yes they go dry empty.

D) Don't allow merchants into your place which have traveled thru the filthy muck... just tell them they're infected and keep them out.

E) Rain water does wash away the filthy muck and restore the land, but it's usually temporary until another filthy muck rain arrives.

**So while it's called filthy muck... which sounds minor it should be called the plague muck.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:01 am »

Of course, the name, description, and associated syndrome are randomly generated and combined, so in all likelihood, very few people will encounter something fitting this set of characteristics. The best basis for predicting rain syndromes would probably be FB syndromes, given that they are for the most part the same sort of thing from a different source. So basically, a total crapshoot every time, until something gets caught in it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 07:01:55 am »

If you're feeling like being nice to merchants, try building a mist generator in front of your trade depot. Mist should obliterate any dirtiness covering the traders or their items, instead of leaving it on a tile like a pool of water would. Lock them in place for a bit to make sure they're clean before you begin trading.

(Alternatively, build the mist generator at the entrance of your fortress to clean any of your dwarves that are returning from the trade depot, and let the traders rot. Literally, with the right syndrome.)
Pages: [1] 2