Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All In The Family  (Read 874 times)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
All In The Family
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:07:46 pm »

Okay. So I (Ethra Conethtran Onodirka Simin, a.k.a. Ethra Rinseddawn the Awe-Inspiring Gale of Entrances, female human swordmaster)   got sent on a basic night-creature-killing quest, to kill Yawo Dropletzeals the Wicked Man. Okay, so after learning the secrets of life and death, I figure night creatures would be a good addition to my undead army, so I accept the mission and go off to the dread cave called The Fated Shade, ready for some good old-fashioned swordplay.

And who do I find there? Instead of the Wicked Man, I find the whole damn Wicked Clan. There are seriously way too many night creatures here. I figure I must have busted in on some family reunion..

Several rounds of bisection later...

That's right, all of those reportable deaths came from the single cave. Every single one of them was a Wicked Man or Wicked Man Mate.

Fortunately, as a legendary swordsman and dodger with an iron scimitar and full armor, I made short work of them. Typically it was a single slash at the lower body, and they'd go sailing off in arcs.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: All In The Family
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »

Choose wisely. The last time I found a den like this, I crossed a mountain range to report the success to a city that new nothing of me - instant hero and I reclaimed a full squad of twenty humans to replace everyone I lost just crossing the mountain ^-^

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »

Hah, yeah. I typically try to go solo to make bandit ambushes less deadly (I turned bogeymen off in worldgen. I just got sent to kill a titan... it's time for zombie-titans!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »

Aww, but bogeymen are so fun :D

It's seriously satisfactory being able to ninja your way around trees and ambush the supernatural.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »

Wow. Just wow. I've had 4 or 5 night trolls and mates in a cave before, but never THAT many. That's rather impressive. Low lair cap or something, perchance? Maybe in combination with a long history?

I agree with you on going solo, btw, though for a different reason. I just have issues with companions taking my kills, and other such things :P.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:55 pm »

Yeah, I increased megabeast and titan number, but didn't do that for night creature lairs, and also it was a 500 year history.

Sadly, while the first titan (a giant hairy worm with a shell) was easily dispatched and brought to my undead army, on the way to kill her second titan, The Awe-Inspiring Gale of Entrances was kicked in the head by an un-booted bandit leader, crushing her skull through her iron helm. What the hell.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:16:34 pm »

Without boogeymen, the best reason to get companions is if they have gear that you want; get them into a nasty fight while you pick off stragglers, and once you're done and they're dead, take whatever it was you wanted.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable