Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: baby pit?  (Read 1825 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
baby pit?
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

I have an idea to toss all the babies into a room that has pressure pads hooked up to doors so that they can only get out once they reach adulthood.

My question to you is: How do I get the babies in in the first place? I know I could burrow them, but I would really rather not go through the manual labor of it. Any ideas on automation?

Also, I think I may go the way of Girlinhat and toss a few migrant animals in there as well with the dozens upon dozens of babies so that they'll fight each other.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: baby pit?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »

e_o I dunno how, but that sounds  bit like child abuse. CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, WHERE ARE YOU?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »

e_o I dunno how, but that sounds  bit like child abuse. CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, WHERE ARE YOU?

Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:43 pm »

You might succeed in this if you dig a 1x1 channel, then build a well over it. Assign a 1x1 burrow over the well. Make sure there's no water under the well. Assign married, female dwarf whose husband is still alive to said burrow. Enclose with walls and door. Hope your dwarf doesn't starve to death before giving birth. If all is well, the baby should drop down the well when born.

Only problem is, the baby will not live to grow up. It needs it's mommy to feed it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »

hmm...

Do children become unassigned from their burrow when they transition to adulthood?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:45 pm »

Nope, they don't. You will get a message "Urist McBaby has grown to become a child" warning you when to switch it to a different burrow though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »

Are you trying to get babies away from militia moms? I've tried; it never works, and besides, the mom needs to feed the baby. My married dwarf females get kicked out of the military. If they insist on carrying their babies into battle and starting tantrum spirals, they're going on rock-hauling duty.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:27:10 pm »

Are you trying to get babies away from militia moms? I've tried; it never works, and besides, the mom needs to feed the baby. My married dwarf females get kicked out of the military. If they insist on carrying their babies into battle and starting tantrum spirals, they're going on rock-hauling duty.

Actually I'm just wanting the babies all in one place for convenience.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »

Burrowing babies to the pit won't work, you'll have to create a flooding machine. The Dwarf will swim, the baby will not.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:36 pm »

Burrowing babies to the pit won't work, you'll have to create a flooding machine. The Dwarf will swim, the baby will not.

So create a small chute at the end of my main hall that has a 2 z-level drop onto a row of grates attached to a "nursery", then channel the river through the opposite end of the hallway?

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 09:00:37 pm »

You still haven't solved the problem of how to care for babies in your "nursery", though. They'll just die.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:28 pm »

You still haven't solved the problem of how to care for babies in your "nursery", though. They'll just die.

Food drop tube and a well with a caretaker locked in there too?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:16:52 pm »

Food drop tube and a well with a caretaker locked in there too?

Babies'll die without their mothers, you'll have to pull a Sparta and only commence training when they're 7 :(

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 05:28:23 pm »

Babies are usefull, you can use them as ammo and/or shield. But kids are annoying little buggers who eat all your food and fill your fortres swith useless stuff.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »

You should probably wait until they are children. This way you can just make a large bridge, put a door at each end, tell the mother to go past the bridge. Lock the doors, pull the lever and plop. Daycare is now in session.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!
Pages: [1] 2