Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poultry/egg farm/birds underground  (Read 7679 times)

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poultry/egg farm/birds underground
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:37:45 pm »

So I know that you can make a pasture underground after you discover a cavern,
And animals like cows/yaks/llama's need the grass to eat or they die.

but what about turkeys/ducks/chickens/ect ?
I don't think I've ever noticed them eating grass before, so I want to take them deeper into my fort.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poultry/egg farm/birds underground
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »

They scrape up worm vermin and such.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:44:13 pm »

They scrape up worm vermin and such.

your kidding.
This game is beautifully in-depth. : D

so I guess that means as long as theres soil beneath them, they are good.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »

No they don't need anything at all :p

You can store 1000 of them in a cage if you want.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 03:57:46 pm »

They actually don't need to eat. The "scrape up vermin" thing is a reasonable explanation for how they survive scrabbling on apparently-bare rock, but survive on bare rock they can.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:04:49 pm »

Though the pop cap would probably stop such monstrosities from ever arising...

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

Five different species in a cage -- that gets you to 1,000.  Then add a dragon.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:15:47 pm »

No they don't need anything at all :p

yeah because of this fact and the incredible birth rate of turkeys they are probably the best animal in terms of food output in the game. They muliply incredibly quickly and grow to a reasonably big size, in just two years. It is the best of the animals you can get at embark but alligators and crocodiles are much larger and lay many more eggs so if you can get your hands on them they are even better than turkeys. They also make good war animals, as you would expect.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »

Wait... they *don't* need pasture? You mean I've been wasting all this time making underground pastures close to my workshops?

Incidentally, how do you get the eggs to hatch? I tried turning off cooking of eggs in z -> kitchen, but they just seemed to build up a huge stock of eggs.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »

Turn off permit eggs in every food stockpile. As long as dwarfs don't collect them, they will hatch.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »

Turn off permit eggs in every food stockpile. As long as dwarfs don't collect them, they will hatch.
If you make a one-tile eggs-only stockpile and turn off all the others, will they automatically leave eggs to hatch when the stockpile is ful, so that you don't have to tweak it? Or is the maximum number of eggs in even one tiny stockpile too high?

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »

If you make a one-tile eggs-only stockpile and turn off all the others, will they automatically leave eggs to hatch when the stockpile is ful, so that you don't have to tweak it? Or is the maximum number of eggs in even one tiny stockpile too high?

good question.

On another note, I appreciated the humor of "They scrape up worm vermin and such." : D
Sorry I didn't get it at first, this game is so in-depth things like that just wouldn't surprise me.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »

Incidentally, going back to your original post, you don't have to wait until you open up the caverns to get underground pastures. You can channel a huge rectangle on the surface, then floor it over. The area underneath will grow above-ground plants.

I don't do that for pastures, but I do use smaller areas for underground "above ground" crops.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:00:00 pm »

Incidentally, going back to your original post, you don't have to wait until you open up the caverns to get underground pastures. You can channel a huge rectangle on the surface, then floor it over. The area underneath will grow above-ground plants.

I don't do that for pastures, but I do use smaller areas for underground "above ground" crops.

oh beautiful!

Than I have a nice idea for a "sunshine room".
Going to channel out as big of a square as I can, as deep as I can, and have it be my pasture and meeting hall. The surface will be floored over with glass, and if anything actually gets past the glass (if they can) they fall many many layers down to their death.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »

You're going to have a lot of stone on the bottom that will need to be hauled off before you can build anything.
Pages: [1] 2